New 6-12 lb class recommendations?

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

The Penn slammer is a water proof sea reel. Although I am a great fan of Shimano, the component quality is not what it was. As an example, I have a couple of 12 year old charter specials that have never given any trouble and never been apart, but I find on the newer charter specials, I am having to replace the bearings every couple of years.

A few years ago I bought a Penn Slammer 3, which was advertised as IPX sealed. There were Youtube videos showing them getting completely dunked and continuing to function.

I stupidly put mine down on a beach where it was very briefly covered by a small wave. A few weeks later it was almost unusable. When I took it apart I found that the seals to waterproof the body shown on the parts diagram did not exist, nor did the castings on the body which would have held them in place. I reckon Penn were using up old Slammer 2 body parts and passing them off as Slammer 3s. I have never bought a Penn reel since.

11 minutes ago, John2 said:

A few years ago I bought a Penn Slammer 3, which was advertised as IPX sealed. There were Youtube videos showing them getting completely dunked and continuing to function.

I stupidly put mine down on a beach where it was very briefly covered by a small wave. A few weeks later it was almost unusable. When I took it apart I found that the seals to waterproof the body shown on the parts diagram did not exist, nor did the castings on the body which would have held them in place. I reckon Penn were using up old Slammer 2 body parts and passing them off as Slammer 3s. I have never bought a Penn reel since.

Thanks for sharing your experience @John2. The FS Penn reels I've seen just seem to corrode all over the metal work. However their multiplier reels seem to be in a totally different league. Ive got 5 in different guises and all have been faultless. It's weird how the two types differ. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I've changed my mind and ordered the super kenzaki, but in 6-15. 

Nice, I nearly pressed the button on one last year but went for a Penn Rampage 6-12lb (don't know what version) for Bream and Plaice

Used once on the Skerries and not since, expected it to be a fair bit more sensitive than my Suveran 12lb class, it's not

I'm now on my 3rd 10ft spinning type rod, 1st was a Ugly stik (like an old school CB radio aerial), 2nd was a Trabaccu (spelling?) 10ft multi tip (still not the action I'm after) but nice rod

I've now bought a 10ft Maximus multi tip that feels promising, though I've yet to use it in anger

I will buy a Tubertini Atlantis if this Maximus turns out shite, if only I'd seen it last year........

Actually, the shame. Ive just re read @GPSguru's post and he quite clearly stated that the FS version is in 6-12lb only (which is what I searched for). However when I saw it came as a 6-15lb version the FS 6-12 went straight out of my mind. My silly mistake! 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Actually, the shame. Ive just re read @GPSguru's post and he quite clearly stated that the FS version is in 6-12lb only (which is what I searched for). However when I saw it came as a 6-15lb version the FS 6-12 went straight out of my mind. My silly mistake! 

Fair play for fessing up. Will you keep it or send it back and re-order the 6-12lb FS?

27 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

It probably wont make a huge difference. I would use a FS on it and see how it goes.

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

It probably wont make a huge difference. I would use a FS on it and see how it goes.

Trouble is, the Daiwa grip is triangular and using a fs reel means the grip is upside down! 
Only a little detail, but one which will bug me!

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Now just need some time and weather to christen it. 

Weather looks good tomorrow. And as you're now no longer watching Saints lose I'd say you have the perfect opportunity.

#justsaying