Sharrow props.

Very interesting. Could be the next big thing in prop design. No reason why it wouldn't work on your hull - more torque and better fuel consumption are relevant for all hull designs I'd have thought.

20 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Very interesting. Could be the next big thing in prop design. No reason why it wouldn't work on your hull - more torque and better fuel consumption are relevant for all hull designs I'd have thought.

Yes, just depends how long it would take to claw back the initial outlay though. Sure as eggs is eggs the new design won't be cheap. 

it .

dose sound interesting but i agree it going to cost a lot.i believe that cost over savings will be the main factor, but if i have got right there would be less stress on  bearings. oh i forgot to menshion bragging rights

I can’t but help but think that this doesn’t work….

If you looks around the world for all boats over the last 100 years they’ve had a similar prop deign…. It’s just nagging in the back of my mind that if a change in prop design that could up the capability it would of been done by now….

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

If you looks around the world for all boats over the last 100 years they’ve had a similar prop deign…. It’s just nagging in the back of my mind that if a change in prop design that could up the capability it would of been done by now….

Well only if somebody had thought about it. I'm sure different blade shapes have been tried, but this effectively gives you 6 blades from 3. And less drag. 

49 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

But look at the high bar to arrive at the design they found. It took millions of dollars of investment and years of testing, which is probably why no-one has done it before. Besides, they didn't have 3D printed prototyping capabilities nor the ability to manufacture that complex shape 100 years ago.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes, just depends how long it would take to claw back the initial outlay though. Sure as eggs is eggs the new design won't be cheap. 

Erm, no. Definitely not cheap... 😲

B9smq5Q.png

30 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Erm, no. Definitely not cheap... 😲

B9smq5Q.png

Yeah i saw that just now. Also, they only make props for outboards. So, it's down to you and @Odysseyto field trial on behalf of the others with petrol outboards!! 

7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Considering that the video was made in Oct 2019, if these props are so damn good, then why in 2022 isn't it a standard fitment and a 'boating household name'

I guess there are more 'cons' than what meets the eye.

I will stick with my Mercury Revolution 4 prop, however, they come in at £800 each, so also, not cheap.

Sharrow tech team emailed me yesterday after I enquired (just out of boredom) if they did a shaft drive version. They said no and that they only make main stream props for outboards. But, if I wanted to get one designed to match my original prop then they would be happy to do it for me, starting with a chat over the phone to gain some info on use of boat, speeds and what I'd like to achieve, ie less fuel, better low speed planning or higher wot speeds. This sounded great, and all for the measly sum of approx $35-70K !!!

44 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sharrow tech team emailed me yesterday after I enquired (just out of boredom) if they did a shaft drive version. They said no and that they only make main stream props for outboards. But, if I wanted to get one designed to match my original prop then they would be happy to do it for me, starting with a chat over the phone to gain some info on use of boat, speeds and what I'd like to achieve, ie less fuel, better low speed planning or higher wot speeds. This sounded great, and all for the measly sum of approx $35-70K !!!

Bargain! When are they calling you?

17 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sure as eggs is eggs the new design won't be cheap. 

I think that Jon will now realise Neil would be no good as a proof reader, he still needs to learn the very basic rules of grammar. Geoff.😉

16 hours ago, Andy135 said:

But look at the high bar to arrive at the design they found. It took millions of dollars of investment and years of testing, which is probably why no-one has done it before. Besides, they didn't have 3D printed prototyping capabilities nor the ability to manufacture that complex shape 100 years ago.

To be fair a lot of prop design is done via CFD. You will conduct a full flow analysis of the prop before you even cut metal… 

Given the R&D budget that Yamaha, Merc, Suzuki have to deal with and the time they will spend looking for every percentage point of economy improvement in their engines it makes me wonder why none of them have thought of this…

As long as the concept has a patent on it they can publish results to back up the claims…. Just seems a bit like snake oil to me….

1 minute ago, Odyssey said:

To be fair a lot of prop design is done via CFD. You will conduct a full flow analysis of the prop before you even cut metal… 

Given the R&D budget that Yamaha, Merc, Suzuki have to deal with and the time they will spend looking for every percentage point of economy improvement in their engines it makes me wonder why none of them have thought of this…

As long as the concept has a patent on it they can publish results to back up the claims…. Just seems a bit like snake oil to me….

78 patents awarded apparently, with more in the pipeline.

They publish their (market-facing) data here: https://www.sharrowmarine.com/about and also in the article that Neil posted.

I know what you mean - seems too good to be true. But then again, if/when Sharrow gain market traction and volumes go up/prices come down we may see all new outboards running with these props as standard. Time will tell.

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

78 patents awarded apparently, with more in the pipeline.

They publish their (market-facing) data here: https://www.sharrowmarine.com/about and also in the article that Neil posted.

I know what you mean - seems too good to be true. But then again, if/when Sharrow gain market traction and volumes go up/prices come down we may see all new outboards running with these props as standard. Time will tell.

Patents are great though….. I mean you can patent any original idea, it doesn’t need to work…. It’s quite amusing when I’m doing an IP review for work and some of stuff that people have patented that just will never work is amazing….

if I win the lottery I’ll buy a pair for Odyssey and let you know how I get on 😜😜😜😜