Any Experience with Evinrude E-tec Motors?

Looking for a replacement for the Yamaha 60hp and found an Evinrude 75hp E-tec on Ebay. £3,500 and around 2007 model. Reading up online they are 2 stroke with direct injection? I was hoping to stick with one of the well known brands - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury or Mariner. Anyone got an opinion on Evinrude?

They had a terrible reputation over here in Aus. You would have to ask yourself why the company collapsed and no longer in production.

Here's one from last weeks fishing adventures. Ended up being the end of a trip on the first day for these people who had just driven 4300km one way to join us on an offshore adventure.

01Oct2022_1120.thumb.jpg.34836ee91443170bf838d7a45494c9f4.jpg

Edited by JDP

They were supposed to be the pinnacle of 2 stroke technology but Bombardier, the parent company of Evinrude, pulled out of the market so clearly they can't have been that successful otherwise they would still be made & sold new.

Personally I would avoid a boat with an E-Tec on it and I'd be suspicious of a used engine only - got to ask yourself why the boat owner removed the E-Tec in the first place - did they replace it with a 4-stroke perhaps?

Just go buy a new 60hp tohatsu. An extra £1500 I think they are!

well, ok maybe a bit more than that. But still worth going for a brand new engine over an unknown old used POS. 

https://www.billhigham.co.uk/product/tohatsu-60hp-efi-4-stroke-outboard-electric-start-remote-control-power-tilt-trim-long-shaft-mfs60aetl-motor-engine/

The engines are still in use, allbeit, in skidoo's and seadoo's. BRP quoted covid as the reason for closure. I guess the reality was that covid was the final nail in the coffin. BRP acquired Evinrude from OMC when they went under in 2000. I would hazard a guess the research and development costs and only a small market share for outboards is what did for them. Much of any bad reputation came from bad servicing from people not understanding the concept and the importance of the spark plugs facing exactly the right position. Add to that the odd cracked exhaust manifold causing a big loss of power......

I've heard of many more Suzukis gone bang than evinrudes, but that doesn't seem to worry anyone. New Tohatsu is £6.5k, 10 year old engines don't seem too much cheaper, but then dealers still want £2200 for autolubes like the one you just broke

I’m with Fishysaint here, bite the bullet and get a new tohatsu, you will (theoretically) get years of trouble free use from it with fairly reasonable service costs. 
As Neil said if someone is selling a decent 60hp engine you need to ask why. Not many people upgrade in terms of size so that suggests an underlying issue. 
It is a lot of money to weigh out but against paying a lot of money for a used one it makes sense to me. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

That don’t look like a ‘90 mode. I had a clamshell 50 that looked newer than that that was an ‘87 

1 minute ago, LostPiker said:

i think I'll stay away from Evinrude then.

That Tonhatsu is £7k - a lot  more than an extra £1,500 

Found a nice looking Suzuki but its an 11 hour drive away

What area? 

7 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

i think I'll stay away from Evinrude then.

That Tonhatsu is £7k - a lot  more than an extra £1,500 

Found a nice looking Suzuki but its an 11 hour drive away

Well yeah, I did say that. Buying 2nd hand engines is a dodgy business. You've been warned 🤣

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@LostPikerare you self employed ??

No, my wife is but not me

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

What area? 

Right up in the north of Scotland. To be honest it looks a bit too cheap. 2011 Suzuki 90hp for £3k, I've messaged the seller but wouldn't be surprised to hear him ask for a few hundred quid deposit to hold it...

37 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

No, my wife is but not me

Right up in the north of Scotland. To be honest it looks a bit too cheap. 2011 Suzuki 90hp for £3k, I've messaged the seller but wouldn't be surprised to hear him ask for a few hundred quid deposit to hold it...

Buy a new tohatsu 2 stroke through your wife's company and claim back the vat!! 

14 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Looking for a replacement for the Yamaha 60hp and found an Evinrude 75hp E-tec on Ebay. £3,500 and around 2007 model. Reading up online they are 2 stroke with direct injection? I was hoping to stick with one of the well known brands - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury or Mariner. Anyone got an opinion on Evinrude?

The 40 - 75 range had an inherent ECU problem, the ECU failed and the main fuse would blow, replacement ECU’s had to be programmed to the engine by a dealer.

Also, the oil is expensive as they tend to run better on Xd100, you can use Xd50 but the ECU needs to be told to use it.

Misfire due to injectors was a common fault, however, the injectors are coded in the ECU, so changing them is not an easy option.

On hard used ribs the engine mounting clamshell bracket has been known to break on the port side

The lower cowl has hidden bolts and if not aligned perfectly it would easily crack.

Gearbox seizures were common place on the earlier models, mainly with commercials when used at lower revs.

It’s a fantastic concept… but like all things too complex to be reliable.

if it’s looked after by a ndd ad on dealer who knows what they are doing you got a hope… but 2 commercials I know who had them took them off, put on Yamahas (300hps) 

Speak to Chris Smith at North Tyne Marine. He may have spare parts or a suitable 2nd hand engine. 

or look on findafishing biat. You may get a commercial engine with high hours cheap. The benefit of this is that it’ll have been looked after and likely low revs… 

@LostPiker

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/engine/2011-yamaha-75hp-2-stroke,-$amp-90hp-commercial-spec-2008----2011----three-left,-call-now-8103546/

here you go…. 🙂 

no need to change the carbs but that would outlast most of us on here if looked after 🙂 

Edited by Odyssey

1 hour ago, JonC said:

9898603D-4397-4BCA-997D-E6316E77B76C.jpeg

I saw that but it's XL shaft and I think 115 is too much for a little pilot 520.

Been offered a Merc 90 4 stroke 2004 on carbs. Can't decide if we should get another older engine as around march next year I get some money from a share scheme at work and could replace the whole boat. I like the look of a Quicksilver 620 type boat or to get a decent engine and stick with what we have