Bass Fishing - 11th - 13th Nov

GPSguru

100 yards is only 30m, so not a huge cast in the grand scheme of things. Should be doable without bare hooks at the end I'd have thought.

@GPSguru, lovely report and congratulations on an impressive tally. Will be hard to beat next year!

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Should be doable without bare hooks at the end I'd have thought.

Only way I'd ever manage it would be by utilising a needle, and tipping off. Even then the worm are so soft you'd have to have a 100% technique every cast not to obliterate them. 

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

100 yards is only 30m, so not a huge cast in the grand scheme of things. Should be doable without bare hooks at the end I'd have thought.

@GPSguru, lovely report and congratulations on an impressive tally. Will be hard to beat next year!

How is 100 yards 30m ? I think you need to go back over yor calculations there

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sounds like a fun weekend Ian, well done on the amount of fishies caught. 
100 yards though?? With king rag? That seems impossible without the worms exploding at cast! 
What technique did you use to stop the worms from falling apart?

Using a 12ft Greys 2.75lb prodigy carp rod, a Shimano wide spool big pit coffee grinder, 3 oz lead on a zip slider and short 12” hook length, 100 yrds is consistently  doable. Hooks were 1/0 manta’s and we thread the worm over the hook and up the line, so the hook point is right at the tail of the worm. If you don't do that, the fish just bite off the tail and miss the hook.

Also the fact that we are wading to waist deep, makes the casting more tricky.

I did some low tide test casts and was achieving a consistent measured 95 - 110 yds ( with bait). We used a Bushnell shooting range finder to measure the distance.

12 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Using a 12ft Greys 2.75lb prodigy carp rod, a Shimano wide spool big pit coffee grinder, 3 oz lead on a zip slider and short 12” hook length, 100 yrds is consistently  doable. Hooks were 1/0 manta’s and we thread the worm over the hook and up the line, so the hook point is right at the tail of the worm. If you don't do that, the fish just bite off the tail and miss the hook.

Also the fact that we are wading to waist deep, makes the casting more tricky.

I did some low tide test casts and was achieving a consistent measured 95 - 110 yds ( with bait). We used a Bushnell shooting range finder to measure the distance.

Does the range finder give measurements in metric units, for @Andy135

nice trip then Ian, sounds like you guys had a great time, spot on 🙂

can I ask where you get your rag from as my mate and I have had awful tiny little worms from our local shop (not naming names) the last few times and could do with finding something a bit better?

Bet those Bass tasted nice 😋

2 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

can I ask where you get your rag from as my mate and I have had awful tiny little worms from our local shop (not naming names) the last few times and could do with finding something a bit better?

Bet those Bass tasted nice 😋

Yes, Max gets farmed worm and it is terrible, not only small, but doesn't keep well either.

You need to give Matt a call at South West Sea Baits in Plymouth. He digs local, they keep well, and more importantly, most are like snakes. His place is easy to get to, he has a unit on the fish quay near the national aquarium. 

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, Max gets farmed worm and it is terrible, not only small, but doesn't keep well either.

You need to give Matt a call at South West Sea Baits in Plymouth. He digs local, they keep well, and more importantly, most are like snakes. His place is easy to get to, he has a unit on the fish quay near the national aquarium. 

Thanks for the info Ian, will have to try there in future 👌

48 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

As for @Andy135 maths…. This may call into question the measurements of his dogfish…. Perhaps they are all fisherman’s tales 😮

I'll have you know my PB dogfish was at least 1m (foot) long. And it was a bull huss. Honest.