Hand warmers.

Ok, so it's starting to get cold and we don't like cold fingers whilst fishing. 
So, apart from putting your hands down your pants to keep warm, what hand warmers do you use and which ones actually work. 
Ive tried charcoal and they just go out, I've tried the sachets that you shake to get them warm, but I may as well just put my hands down my pants! 

I was given a pair of those gel filled ones with the metal disc inside - you flex the disc and it causes a chain reaction that makes the gel give off heat. They were quite good as I remember. You then boil them in a pan of water to re-set the gel and then they can be re-used.

Except I put mine on the boil and walked off to do something else. Totally forgot about them, the pan boiled dry and the sachets burst 🤦‍♂️. Still can't find them online to re-purchase them.

No, but I’ve heard good things about them. 
I’m fortunate that I don’t really suffer from cold hands two much, maybe working with my hands outside has made me somewhat accustomed to it. 
When I’m fishing I try to keep a dry towel to hand, and keep my hands clean and dry which really helps. 

9 hours ago, JonC said:

No, but I’ve heard good things about them. 
I’m fortunate that I don’t really suffer from cold hands two much, maybe working with my hands outside has made me somewhat accustomed to it. 
When I’m fishing I try to keep a dry towel to hand, and keep my hands clean and dry which really helps. 

Same as above, if really cold I wear fingerless neoprene gloves. I also think keeping your wrists covered helps. 

i have a Thaw Rechargable hand warmer = havent used it yet - but its supposed to provide up to 10hrs of heat, has 3 heat settings and also also a power bank - usb rechargable.

low temp 38-46 - 10hrs

med temp 45-53 - 7hrs

high temp 52-60  5hrs

not waterproof - but looks good!

I got the Zippo one, fill it up and it'll last all day (haven't timed it, but easily 10 hrs)

Never bothered before, but after a couple of ops on my fingers/hands, the digits that were operated on go blue and fecking painfull when very cold

It's also nice to have a piss with warm hands before you start, not after

On 12/1/2022 at 5:52 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, so it's starting to get cold and we don't like cold fingers whilst fishing. 
So, apart from putting your hands down your pants to keep warm, what hand warmers do you use and which ones actually work. 
Ive tried charcoal and they just go out, I've tried the sachets that you shake to get them warm, but I may as well just put my hands down my pants! 

If you were to keep busy catching a few fish, then you wouldn't need hand warmers 🤣

Take up slow jigging, that way you are always on the move, instead of sat supping champers 🤣

I use savage gear fingerless gloves which tend to be warm enough, although their use is really to stop my hands from getting an open wound injury, as being immunosuppressed, it can turn nasty quite quickly.

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

If you were to keep busy catching a few fish, then you wouldn't need hand warmers 🤣

I suffer from Reynons syndrome which is extreme poor blood circulation to the extremities when it's cold. My fingers turn white and numb. It's painful so preventing is better ! Movement doesn't help, made worse when continuously handling frozen baits. 

I purchased this warmer, it's electric and splits into two warmers or can be used as one large one in a bag. 

OCOOPA Hand Warmers Rechargeable 2 Pack, Magnetic Electric Handwarmer, 16 Hrs Warmth 4 Levels Heat Up to 145℉, USB-C Portable Charger 10000mAh, Raynauds, Golf, Tech Gifts for Men, Union UT2s(MagTwins) https://amzn.eu/d/aaLZYGm

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I suffer from Reynons syndrome which is extreme poor blood circulation to the extremities when it's cold. My fingers turn white and numb. It's painful so preventing is better ! Movement doesn't help, made worse when continuously handling frozen baits. 

I think @GPSgurualso suffers from a similar condition, except that it restricts blood flow around his head causing his brain to not work. 

13 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I fear you may have bought a dud there Fishy, looking at the reviews. Time will tell if your pants will be cramped for space again this winter

Not sure what reviews you're reading steve, but the ones I've read were positive. It has 4 heat settings, but setting one is enough to keep my mits warm. Plus they heat up within 10 seconds, so will only need them on for a while then turn them off, then on then off....... you get the idea!

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Not sure what reviews you're reading steve, but the ones I've read were positive. It has 4 heat settings, but setting one is enough to keep my mits warm. Plus they heat up within 10 seconds, so will only need them on for a while then turn them off, then on then off....... you get the idea!

The ones from the link you posted......

Yeah I get the idea, when I was young and used to ride bikes all year round, used to have to pull over and hang gloves on the exhaust to warm em up. Trouble was, you could go miles initially, but the stops got closer and closer together as the journey went on.

Hope they work for ya fella 👍

Once you've had them a while, you can do a tackle review on them........

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I purchased this warmer, it's electric and splits into two warmers or can be used as one large one in a bag. 

OCOOPA Hand Warmers Rechargeable 2 Pack, Magnetic Electric Handwarmer, 16 Hrs Warmth 4 Levels Heat Up to 145℉, USB-C Portable Charger 10000mAh, Raynauds, Golf, Tech Gifts for Men, Union UT2s(MagTwins) https://amzn.eu/d/aaLZYGm

Em suffers the same. She doesn’t drink coffee or tea so the old holding a hot mug don’t work. So use the zippo ones. However best remedy is catching lots of fish 🙂 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ah ok, that is not so good. Folk that suffer with that normally have zillions of tiny veins, and often find it difficult to give blood ( like my wife).

I have got veins like motorways so circulation is good and I tend not to suffer from the cold.

You are going to need some sort of permanent heat, what about something like ‘hot hands’ and keep them in you pockets. My mate uses them to good effect.