Todays fun…

Todays fun was new bilge pumps…

I did have 2 and a manual back up pump but now I have 2 auto, one on a manual switch and manual hand powered one… 

All working and bilge is now clean and dry… 

However I feel like a broken person after sitting in cold stinky water in a cramped space with a head torch on… Find a teenager to do it next time as they are likely to more flexible, smaller and happy to be paid less 🤣🤣

Nearly ready for relaunch 😁😁😁😁

picture of work in progress…. 

A363E79B-537E-42D0-BABA-A76076B6B560.jpeg

Edited by Odyssey

30 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Todays fun was new bilge pumps…

I did have 2 and a manual back up pump but now I have 2 auto, one on a manual switch and manual hand powered one… 

All working and bilge is now clean and dry… 

However I feel like a broken person after sitting in cold stinky water in a cramped space with a head torch on… Find a teenager to do it next time as they are likely to more flexible, smaller and happy to be paid less 🤣🤣

Nearly ready for relaunch 😁😁😁😁

picture of work in progress…. 

A363E79B-537E-42D0-BABA-A76076B6B560.jpeg

How do you think I feel?? Ive got a lump of an engine to squeeze my body around. Atleast your bilge is relatively empty. 
Good work btw! 

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How do you think I feel?? Ive got a lump of an engine to squeeze my body around. Atleast your bilge is relatively empty. 
Good work btw! 

What about me? I have 2 lumps to squeeze by, oh forgot,  I don't squeeze by I pay A N other to do that 🙂 

Good work, I’m struggling for motivation to drive all the way to the marina in this weather. It’s quite comforting to see someone else who’s bilge isn’t really shiny. 
Do you think a manual pump is worth it? Whenever I’ve tried one they have been so inefficient that I haven’t fitted one. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Good work, I’m struggling for motivation to drive all the way to the marina in this weather. It’s quite comforting to see someone else who’s bilge isn’t really shiny. 
Do you think a manual pump is worth it? Whenever I’ve tried one they have been so inefficient that I haven’t fitted one. 

Was already fitted as boat was previously coded. However it’s a lot of work for not much reward… a 4000GPH pump is much easier 🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 1/7/2023 at 7:54 PM, Odyssey said:

Was already fitted as boat was previously coded. However it’s a lot of work for not much reward… a 4000GPH pump is much easier 🤣🤣🤣🤣

On the Rib I have an Johnson auto 800GPH in sump, but I can also drop the twin 4” elephant trunks which  remove water at the rate of 40,500 LPH (9000GPH). 

Edited by GPSguru

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

On the Rib I have an Johnson auto 800GPH in sump, but I can also drop the twin 4” elephant trunks which  remove water at the rate of 40,500 LPH (9000GPH). 

The elephant legs work best when you are underway though, not so great static or at displacement speed. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

The elephant legs work best when you are underway though, not so great static or at displacement speed. 

Displacement speed is ok for them to work, which is fine in a RIB full of water !

I have seen the testing done when the rib is full of water to the top of the tubes, and it empties in just a few minutes.

I have only ever used them once, due to pilot error, I went backwards quite quickly and took a ton of water over the transom 🤣.

6 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Displacement speed is ok for them to work, which is fine in a RIB full of water !

I have seen the testing done when the rib is full of water to the top of the tubes, and it empties in just a few minutes.

I have only ever used them once, due to pilot error, I went backwards quite quickly and took a ton of water over the transom 🤣.

I think I’ve seen ribs with a curtain across the back, is that a thing or is it a home bodge up? 
I often soak a load up going hard astern on the sailing club support boats, usually because a kid does a random gybe towards me. None of the boats have working pumps so the trunks come in useful. 

17 minutes ago, JonC said:

I think I’ve seen ribs with a curtain across the back, is that a thing or is it a home bodge up? 
I often soak a load up going hard astern on the sailing club support boats, usually because a kid does a random gybe towards me. None of the boats have working pumps so the trunks come in useful. 

RIB’s have a low transom and no splash well, so going against the flow is always gonna end up wet.

I went astern quickly to pick up a dog that had fallen off another boat. I should have given full helm and loads of power to pirouette and turn on a sixpence 👍

3 hours ago, JonC said:

TBH, even in a hard boat, that has water in the bilge or is taking on water, you would want to keep moving at least displacement speed to maintain stability and steerage.

• 1 month later...