How far

How far would you be prepared to moor your boats from where you live, what do you guys consider being too far to travel,  I only ask as I have an opportunity to move with a good job offer but I think it would be the end of boat ownership sadly.

cheers Alan 

2 minutes ago, 240z said:

Derbyshire so not too close to the sea

Not too far from the lincs coast, you could take Geoff out with you so he could get a taste of what a finished boat is!! There are options tho in all seriousness. The sea is never that far away in the UK. Not that far to go say Liverpool way either, roads are better that way

54 minutes ago, 240z said:

How far would you be prepared to moor your boats from where you live, what do you guys consider being too far to travel,  I only ask as I have an opportunity to move with a good job offer but I think it would be the end of boat ownership sadly.

cheers Alan 

I live about a 90 min drive from my boat. Always have done so I don't know any different. Would I love to be nearer the boat? Of course, but being close is not why I go boating, it's the love of the sea, the boat and the adventure of not knowing what I'll catch - and I'm prepared to travel for that.

If you feel the same, I'd be surprised if you decide to just stop boating - if anything I suspect you'll find you start to value your trips out all the more - the harder you have to work for something the sweeter it becomes.

That said, only you can decide what trade-offs you're prepared (or able) to make. I guess it depends on how good the new job is. Derbyshire is indeed a long way from the sea. If it were me I'd look to move the boat as close as possible and see how it goes doing the commute to the boat. If it really doesn't work out you can always sell it but at least you gave it a try. You might surprise yourself. Good luck in whatever you choose.

18 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I actually moved my boat further away from me to a marina I preferred . 
It was a tough decision. I doubled the travel time from home to boat. I now have to drive 12 not 6 minutes. 

you would get a house boat🤣

4 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Not too far from the lincs coast, you could take Geoff out with you so he could get a taste of what a finished boat is!! There are options tho in all seriousness. The sea is never that far away in the UK. Not that far to go say Liverpool way either, roads are better that way

Thanks Steve. Obviously Lincs would welcome Alan, but Liverpool may suit better as it is well away from Norfolk. Geoff.☺️

Before boats I used to drive 2-3 hours to get out a charter as lived in midlands.

Boat is currently 2 hours away in Milford haven but doesn’t stop any trips.

How far to Hartlepool? I know of a guy whose boat is Penarth but lives up north of Birmingham. 

Rhere was amother who lived in Antsy and kept boat in Cardiff for winter and Whitby for summer 

Ive only ever trailered boats over here. Monday I did what's considered a local run where I drove three hours down the coast. We launched at one spot then decided to tow to another 1 hr apart. That spot was blown out when we were hit with 30kts and a full on thunder lightning and rain storm. On the way home we tried to get out locally but again forced back off the water due to weather. Being able to tow boats around can be quite an advantage as long as you have good boat ramps, suitable tow vehicle and somewhere to store it all. 

Driving 2-3 hrs each way to get to a boat on a mooring would be pretty easy in my opinion in comparison with towing boats once they get up around 2 ton +. Simply means getting up a little earlier or maybe finding a good regular bed and breakfast in the area for an overnighter.

2 hours ago, JDP said:

Ive only ever trailered boats over here. Monday I did what's considered a local run where I drove three hours down the coast. We launched at one spot then decided to tow to another 1 hr apart. That spot was blown out when we were hit with 30kts and a full on thunder lightning and rain storm. On the way home we tried to get out locally but again forced back off the water due to weather. Being able to tow boats around can be quite an advantage as long as you have good boat ramps, suitable tow vehicle and somewhere to store it all. 

Driving 2-3 hrs each way to get to a boat on a mooring would be pretty easy in my opinion in comparison with towing boats once they get up around 2 ton +. Simply means getting up a little earlier or maybe finding a good regular bed and breakfast in the area for an overnighter.

and you dont have to klean the weed off

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

A few years ago now, but when we trailed the boat long distance we used the boat as a caravan and slept and ate in it in a layby or carpark etc. Geoff.

I do the same, or simply throw a swag out where ever I can find a good spot. Some trips take a week of driving to get to where we are heading.

13 minutes ago, JDP said:

I do the same, or simply throw a swag out where ever I can find a good spot. Some trips take a week of driving to get to where we are heading.

Not so great here for a run out in February. 

I think there are still a few Wimpies around. A few years ago (1986ish) our works booked an Xmas party for the workers young children. The venue was an upstairs room at the Peterborough Wimpy bar. I was asked to dress up as Santa and attend the party (they knew that I would then provide gifts for the kids) Anyway we knew how many boys and girls were attending and Joyce wrapped up something (mainly sweeties) for every child, blue paper for the boys and pink for the girls. That was of course normal behaviour in those pre PC days. I entered the Wimpy (market sqare P'boro) in my full Santa regalia and was directed upstairs by the staff. I think that was one of my most embarrassing moments as unbeknown to me there was another kids party going on and I (Santa) had to go through that room to get to our party. Had I known that would happen I would have taken a few gifts to leave there, but I had to scuttle through the room with a few HO HO's. What a miserable Santa I was!!! Geoff.