True weight of a rod.

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I would imagine he could handle a 20lb class rod ok. Nothing really in them, just a bit stiffer. They can certainly handle what you're talking about, my lad landed a 25lb tope no bother on a 20lb class rod

How old was your lad though Steve when he landed the tope?

55 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Tackle shop round my way don’t stock anything other than the usual. And then they will only have one size. 

The shops around here are all carp based with a bit of entry level sea kit. 

Just now, JonC said:

The shops around here are all carp based with a bit of entry level sea kit. 

Same. The sea fishing one only stocks shit cheap rods . Cost them to much to stock decent stuff on the hope that somebody flush comes along to buy it. 
the mark up is horrendous though. 
I bought a beach rod for 50% rrp because the shop owner left his catalogue open on the counter and I spotted what it cost him to buy. He paid £100 and sold at £300.

Kenzaki good rod 

Shimano AX slim 

Abu Suverean 20-30

Century 20-30

Some are more expensive than others but a good selection....

Failing the tan old ugly stick 15lb class or 20lb class with the glass tip are lovely too.

Ive picked up an old Shimano Twin Power 12-20lb. It’s a cracking rod, old but light and powerful 🙂 If you got cash to burn look out for a Daiwa Amphorus whisker 12-30. Stunning blanks but old... hard to find and highly sought after but come up on eBay 

Edited by Odyssey

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Same. The sea fishing one only stocks shit cheap rods . Cost them to much to stock decent stuff on the hope that somebody flush comes along to buy it. 
the mark up is horrendous though. 
I bought a beach rod for 50% rrp because the shop owner left his catalogue open on the counter and I spotted what it cost him to buy. He paid £100 and sold at £300.

I always understood retail was cost times three for most things?

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

How old was your lad though Steve when he landed the tope?

That wasn't the point Neil, it was that the rod could cope, a 20lb class rovex.... The one Andy gave him in fact!

I wouldn't go down the £150+ rod route for my lad, in case it didn't work out..... By that I mean, I can pick a rod up and know in a very short space of time if It will fit in with what I want, my lad doesn't have enough experience to make that call with yet.... When he does, hopefully he can buy his bloody own!!! 🤣

20 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That is  a bit greedy ............. the retail on that rod should have been 225 -250

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That is  a bit greedy ............. the retail on that rod should have been 225 -250

Rrps are funny things, Fisty gave me a link for a replacement kitchen tap, he was giving me free advice I hope. The link listed it at £350, first search on google found it for £160 ish. 

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

Rrps are funny things, Fisty gave me a link for a replacement kitchen tap, he was giving me free advice I hope. The link listed it at £350, first search on google found it for £160 ish. 

True, perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but most fishing gear is based on a 45% Margin and that is before any quantity discounts are taken into account ........... it is not difficult to achieve a 60 - 70% Margin by careful buying and paying the bills on time .............

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

True, perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but most fishing gear is based on a 45% Margin and that is before any quantity discounts are taken into account ........... it is not difficult to achieve a 60 - 70% Margin by careful buying and paying the bills on time .............

Of course, the retailer has to fund their operation. 
My rule of thumb for pricing work is labour times three. The middle third covering overheads and a third for profit. 

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

Of course, the retailer has to fund their operation. 
My rule of thumb for pricing work is labour times three. The middle third covering overheads and a third for profit. 

I guess you have a lot of OVERHEADS in the scaffolding game 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

38 minutes ago, JonC said:

Tbf, that tap link was from the bristan web site. Buying direct from a manufacturer is never a great idea. It was meant more as a source of info rather than a go buy it here suggestion. 
Your a smart cookie Jon (tight wad), I knew you’d google it for discounts. 

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Tbf, that tap link was from the bristan web site. Buying direct from a manufacturer is never a great idea. It was meant more as a source of info rather than a go buy it here suggestion. 
Your a smart cookie Jon (tight wad), I knew you’d google it for discounts. 

You was even kind enough to offer me a 3% discount 😂

Ive only used this as example of manufactures Rrp 

Think many low cost rods simply have a rating averaged on how they feel but couldn't actually be loaded to the rating. 

Many of the Jigging rods I use are actually tested ( every single one of them ) to withstand the dead lift loads rated at different angle of load testing. Example being the Jigging master rods I use which can certainly be loaded to loads most of use  simply can't continually use ( things like 32kg of dead lift ).

Even very light rods can be used on big fish without to much of an issue as long as the reel seat and guides are able to handle the forces. If you reduce the height angle any rod is used at on bigger fish then breaking isn't going to be a problem, this could even work on a rod designed for small fish of the rod is simply pointed directly at the fish so you are fighting off the reel so to speak.  If I'm fishing for bream on a light rod and a 100kg stingray eats the bait, I don't end with a broken rod, I simply fight it differently. 

Some bent butt game rods I was looking at yesterday were tottaly different in action but the rating remained the same, so you can't simply assume each 24kg game rod will have the same action. There's also no regulations on how they are rated so the numbers really don't mean to much in my opinion.

Manufacturers ratings can vary wildly.

One companies 20-30 rod can be very similar to another companies 12-20 for example.

With IGFA ratings the rating is based on the amount of weight needed to bend the tip 90 degrees to the butt, I think.

Obviously different actions can still make the rods feel different but it is a standardised rating system across manufacturers as opposed to a manufacturers own rating system.

To give an idea how IGFA ratings can compare to a manufacturers ratings I have Ugly Stik 30-50"s which are probably around IGFA 20lb, Daiwa TDX 20-50 which is probably around IGFA 25-30lb, Okuma 50-80 which would probably be around IGFA 35-40lb and Penn Ally 50-100 which is probably around IGFA 50lb.

Edited by headlight