Hi from Donegal

gallagherdee

17 minutes ago, gallagherdee said:

Hi. just joined. I,m based in Lough Swilly in Donegal. I have an Orkney Strikeliner. Old and batterewd but I love it. Have been on wsf for years but getting a bit lonely. Recognise a few names already.

Welcome to the site. I’m Jon, one of the admins but I don’t do anything because I’m crap at computers. 
It’s a new site, we’re building a bit of momentum now so thanks for joining and posting. 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

Welcome to the site. I’m Jon, one of the admins, Like Nick Phillips on wsf but I’m not a total bell end. but I don’t do anything because I’m crap at computers. 
It’s a new site, we’re building a bit of momentum now so thanks for joining and posting. 

Thanks. I'm hoping to find somewhere that is still lively and informative although I might not always have a great deal of knowledge to add.

1 minute ago, gallagherdee said:

Thanks. I'm hoping to find somewhere that is still lively and informative although I might not always have a great deal of knowledge to add.

There are some knowledgeable people on here and then there's the rest of us, clueless but up for a bit of craic

Welcome to Offshore Outlaws! Good to have you with us.

As Jon says we're growing fast. There's plenty of chat and banter here, and fishing & boating too when the weather allows.

I used to have an Orkey 440. Orkney's are well made boats. Good choice 👍

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Was you naked when you was harassing him like you did to @Maverick

John nakedness would never work here :classic_ohmy: it was definitely financial inducements that worked, why else would I come to just exchange insults 👍

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, gallagherdee said:

No unfortunately not. Put boat into storage from Oct to may.

Oct til May ?? Blimey that’s a long time. Why do you store for so long through winter? What about cod and plaice fishing? 
do you not have skate up where you are? Or do you go in charters through the winter! 

Have loads of rays. Seems to be done thing here. Weather is terrible during the winter which lasts a long time. Very little in lough until mackerel come in which is normally June. Then tope follow them in. Good cod and ling but that means going out into Atlantic and my boat is too small for that in winter seas. 

C8D9B7A8-D140-4449-8136-F54BB2B6C9BA.jpeg

ABBEA13B-6245-4BD1-B117-548CE2785266.jpeg

Ling are really nice but a nightmare to fillet. Great fight from them too and easy to catch if they’re around. Plenty of pollock around here too. The ones I struggle with are plaice and turbot. I’m told there’s plenty of them but I rarely catch them. Maybe it’s because I rarely if ever have worms for bait. It’s also a good 26 mile round trip to where the cod and ling are and I have to wait for a good high pressure system. All that means I only get out that far a few times a year. On the other hand it’s only a ten minute run to tope grounds.

I'd forget worms if you're after turbot. Try a long mackerel strip, sandeel or launce, even a small turbot will take a large bait.

A turbot from my boat is a holy grail for me. I can catch small ones from the shore but never had one from my boat.

20190711_161316.jpg

Edited by crisdafish
added pic