Torbay small boat sinks

Andy135

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-65649193

Clearly a difficult situation. Hoping it's not @thejollysinker or @GPSguru??

No, we are ok, but it is a good friend of ours. The boat was a 20ft Orkney (80hp honda). I was too far away (15 miles + into a head sea) when I heard the CG mayday relay. If it had been 45 mins earlier I was 5 miles away mack fishing. It sunk very quickly, but I don't know any more detail. From the co-ords given by the CG, It went down on the wreck of the Glocliffe, about 10 miles out.
At 4:00pm 2LB, 1 plane, 1 chopper, an Mod boat, and 4others were still searching for the missing crew. ☹️

I’m devastated !

Edited by GPSguru

Small update.

The search has been called off, as to whether anything was found, I know not.

edit: cleaning the boat and just heard an ‘all ships’ on 16 for one person missing, LJ  unknown ☹️

I do know the alarm was raised by 999 call ( according to the original  CG mayday relay) hence the mayday relay from the CG. However, I know that Peter has a radio and is comfortable using it as we have spoken many times. I have since heard the mayday was on 16, but I certainly never heard it 🤷‍♂️

My guess will be that the divers will go down tomorrow ☹️

45 mins ealier and I would have right there for him ☹️

If you guys ever want to know where I am, just look up Bluefin on marine traffic, as the AIS is normally on. You should be able to see my today’s track. 👍

Edited by GPSguru

1 minute ago, thejollysinker said:

It’s not Peter Cloke’s boat from exmouth is it?

just going over things in my mind as I’m admin on Orkney Boat Owners UK and I met him in nov 2020 …. He has a Pilothouse 🤔

Yes ...........Petrel (20ft Orkney Pilot House)

I don't know who is unaccounted for, Peter, or his crewmate ?

Edited by GPSguru

13 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

IMG_4116.jpeg.707777ed8ee729438db147a21c8400aa.jpeg
On his way after we met, nice bloke 👌

Apparently the MAIB are involved. I have a feeling that the divers will go down on it tomorrow.

The position given at the time of Mayday from Petrel was the exact Co-Ords for the Glocliffe.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/search-after-boat-sinks-devon-8455730

Edited by GPSguru

31 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

As it was not a commercial vessel and there was no other vessel involved, the MAIB will not be investigating the sinking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cj70vd2ev4do

I haven’t read from the start, do we know what caused the boat to sink? Was there a collision with something? 

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

No collision, and flat calm sea. I suspect sea cock failure.

I thought it was an Orkney? Most of them are fitted with outboards? 
unless it was a deck wash or bait well intake. I know it’s a bit ghoulish speculating but it’s something that if we knew it could prevent it happening on another boat. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

unless it was a deck wash or bait well intake. I know it’s a bit ghoulish speculating but it’s something that if we knew it could prevent it happening on another boat. 

Also worth mentioning that a decent working bilge pump should be fitted and regularly checked. And also a set of wooden bungs and a rubber mallet ! 

14 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Also worth mentioning that a decent working bilge pump should be fitted and regularly checked. And also a set of wooden bungs and a rubber mallet ! 

When I last went out in @KennyPowers ‘s boat last month we were heading back in and he could sense that something wasn’t right, he slowed up and lifted the engine cover to find there was a concerning amount of water in the bilge. He used the pump to clear it and we continued our run in ok. It was the raw water pump, one of @Saintly Fishs favourite things that was leaking at a decent pace when the engine was at high revs . Could well have been a bad finish to the day.

5 hours ago, JonC said:

The deluxe versions were fitted with a sea toilet.

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I thought Orkneys were fitted with a manual whale pump ?

A lot of folk just don't realise the susceptibility of a seacock, and I suspect very few carry bungs, or have under deck water alarms. 

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

The deluxe versions were fitted with a sea toilet.

My old Orkney had a sea toilet. It had 2 seacocks. The sea toilet is up near the bow behind the helm.

It also didn’t come with a manual bilge pump or any kind of bilge pump. I had to fit inspection hatches and fit manual bilge pump myself. 

If you’ve seen a seacock fail it’s scary…. The flow of water into the boat is large.