Torbay small boat sinks

Andy135

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

On a slight tangent, I sometimes carry a BILGE PUMP on my kayak and they are cheap, pretty high output, and can be fitted with a hose. 

Screenshot_20230525_204316_Chrome.jpg.a596e05d7fa9b6ae718b8fff814907fc.jpg

These sort of things are ok for clearing water from a rogue wave or a one off but trying to pump against a hole in the boat is futile. I had a hand operated whale gushed on my old Colvic and it was slower than the boat itself. 
I think the bungs and mallet sounds like a good idea. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

These sort of things are ok for clearing water from a rogue wave or a one off but trying to pump against a hole in the boat is futile. I had a hand operated whale gushed on my old Colvic and it was slower than the boat itself. 

Got to agree, I have used manual pumps and a bloody bucket is quicker !

My RIB hull is sealed to the outside world, so there is no hull drain plug on the outside of the hull. At the stern I have a sump and the main hull drain plug, drains into the sump, which is fitted with a Johnson 800GPH auto bilge pump. However, my main deck drainage is twin 4 inch elephant trunks, which have a flow capacity of 6000 L/min (1300 GPM, or to compare with a bilge pump the trunks are giving a minimum flow rate of 78,000 GPH !, but of course you need to be moving forward at any speed above 3kts for them to work. However, I have tried them and with 4 inches of water on the deck, the trunks emptied the boat in seconds, by moving at a speed. Under normal circumstances they would be used on the plane, after poor wave management and taking a 'stuffing' (I may or may not have done that). I even carry a 4 inch cork bung, just in case one of the hypalon trunks ever springs a leak.

9 hours ago, JonC said:

I have 1st hand experience of holes in hulls and I wasn't meaning to have the hand pump as a stand alone pump but as a failsafe method in case your pump fails and I know how good hammers and bungs are at slowing water ingress. 

FB_IMG_1652373349732.jpg.b1db277bd1589b74d02d189dd89cb2a1.jpg

The guy I bought my boat off had owned a boat that sank…. He said was terrifying….

I’ve got 6 electric bilge pumps so my capacity is x3 coding regulations, bilge alarms and 3 manual pumps.

What is perhaps scary his boat nearly sank and was fitted with standard flow rate for a cat 2 coded boat… so hence the upgrade on the next boat. 

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I have 1st hand experience of holes in hulls and I wasn't meaning to have the hand pump as a stand alone pump but as a failsafe method in case your pump fails and I know how good hammers and bungs are at slowing water ingress. 

FB_IMG_1652373349732.jpg.b1db277bd1589b74d02d189dd89cb2a1.jpg

What and where was that? Guessing a naval vessel? Tell us the story behind the photo.

59 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

bilge alarms

That is the important part. You need to know when the hull has been compromised, it is way too late when the water gets to deck level before you realise what is going on.

Luke, do you test the alarm's ?

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

What and where was that? Guessing a naval vessel? Tell us the story behind the photo.

Easier to give a LINK

That was the secondary damage repair, primary was mattresses and wood and finally we welded plates over the holes. I was in the adjacent (and aft) compartment as the bulkhead split using softwood wedges and lump hammers to stem the flow. 

FB_IMG_1652091731750.jpg.a177f2f70691583696735d63e437fa24.jpg

The guy 2nd from right front row was mentioned in dispatches as he and another guy (also mid) were using their bodies to block the flow initially. 

On 5/26/2023 at 10:05 AM, GPSguru said:

That is the important part. You need to know when the hull has been compromised, it is way too late when the water gets to deck level before you realise what is going on.

Luke, do you test the alarm's ?

Yes, every month they get tested and signed off as part of maintenance schedule. It’s part of coding requirement but I did it anyway. The alarms are typically fail safe (go off even if no water present). Alarms are all fitted next to seacocks in case one fails. Seacocks are exercised every month as well as part of maintenance schedule, usually more often, but give the check over too. 

Bilge pumps are all on electronic solid state switches that are easy to test as well and get tested regularly. 

I’ve had alarms go off at sea, hit a wave, bilge filled, pump cleared it quickly, but if it hadn’t it’d been a different scenario….   I’d of soon lost stability ti take the next one and one after etc…. When pump needed replacement i replaced it with an even higher output tgst was previously there as a just in case…..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 7:11 PM, GPSguru said:

Apparently, he went back into the cabin to get his life jacket as the boat was sinking. 

How many times  do we hear this, I hope it is a lesson to you guys that you should be wearing a LJ at all times, and if the boat is sinking get the feck off of it.

It is now been passed to D&C Police and the MAIB.

This is speculation and there is no evidence as to why Peter (my father, who we miss every minute of the day) went back into the cabin. The initial RNLI statement was incorrect and swiftly removed. From a grieving family, please do not make comments if you do not know them to be correct. It only adds to the pain.

15 minutes ago, ERC87 said:

This is speculation and there is no evidence as to why Peter (my father, who we miss every minute of the day) went back into the cabin. The initial RNLI statement was incorrect and swiftly removed. From a grieving family, please do not make comments if you do not know them to be correct. It only adds to the pain.

We are all very sorry for your loss, and I am 100% certain that @GPSguru would never mean to cause you and your family pain. He would most probably have taken his info from an official statement (whether that was incorrect, he would not have known). 
Please accept our apologies for any offence caused! 🙏🏻

20 minutes ago, ERC87 said:

Further to Neil’s ( @Saintly Fish) comments above I would add that Ian ( @GPSguru) was particularly saddened by this tragedy and any comments he made would be with the best intention and respect to all involved. 
Sorry for your loss, it was a very sad thing for everybody involved in boat angling to hear about. 

6 hours ago, ERC87 said:

Yes, that info came from the RNLI statement, which at the time I had my suspicions about its accuracy, and I should have removed it as we know that is not the case. Please accept my apologies.

I would regard Peter (your father) as a close friend (of about 5 years), and we would chat on the phone maybe once or twice a week, and often meet up together on the wrecks. We also had a planned coffee meeting at the Clipper, but unfortunately that never happened, also we had planned a trip to the Skerries.

I am trying hard to get the brain to work here, but if you are his son that used to crew with him from time to time (Tom ?), then we have met a couple of times when out fishing, but maybe you are his other son that lives in London (Stoke Newington ?)

Believe me, I feel your pain, and for me, it is a very sad loss that I often think deeply about.

Edited by GPSguru

I've lost a few friends in boating incidents, mostly crossing our local bar and two have been this year from seperate boats capsizing in big seas. It's compulsory to wear life jackets crossing any bar in our state and in almost every case those killed were wearing them.

If it is a bilge pump issue or lack of maintenance it would be good to bring it to light to hopefully highlight the issue to others who may be lacking in such areas. Here, again bilge pumps are compulsory, even my 15ft boat has two 12v pumps wired to two seperate batteries and seperate switches for both auto and manual override.

To die at sea when the ocean is what you live for is the way I hope to go.