A short weather window

GPSguru

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

You've done well for bait this year. Top marks.

Cuttle ink to the face sounds pretty bad 😣. Guess you had the last laugh though 👍

Yep, didn't have my sunny’s on and it stung like feck, luckily Kyle had a water bottle in his bag and soon sorted it out.

All my clothes (jacket, hat etc), are all in the wash today !

24 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yep, didn't have my sunny’s on and it stung like feck, luckily Kyle had a water bottle in his bag and soon sorted it out.

All my clothes (jacket, hat etc), are all in the wash today !

Why is there not a photo of this???

16 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Today has been on the cards all week, albeit a little colder, sea conditions looked favourable until mid afternoon, however, with spring tides we needed an early start to be back on the slip for 12:30.

Yes, a lot colder, at 7:00am I cleared the frost off the jeep (2c), picked up Kyle, and we launched at 7:30.

The plan was to go for some more cuttle and squid, which would give us a good bait stock for the winter.

A short steam to our usual mark and we were soon into the cuttle and the odd squid, all of which were a decent size. The sea was NOT as forecast and was a tad lumpy, but very doable.

Kyle also sent down some baited hokkai’s and was rewarded with Grey’s, dogs, scad, and Mackerel.

One of the cuttle got its own back on me, I left it in the net over the side of the boat whilst I unhooked the jig from the mesh, and it got me full in the face with a shed load of ink !

All too soon it was time to head back in, but we had more than met our target with 24 cuttle, 6 squid, dogs, gurnards, scad, and Mack.

The boat took a lot of cleaning as both cuttle and squid are dirty bastids.

The Bait freezer is now completely full, with 41 decent cuttle, 12 large squid, over 200 mackerel and a load of king prawn. This winter we might target winter Cod, a big ask in our location, but I have a couple of marks in mind. Also, Kyle wants a 25 - 30lb winter Blond off the skerries.

Kyle with the smallest dog I have ever seen 🤣

IMG_2536.thumb.jpeg.778d77b999dc877198cf4dfb66a740f0.jpeg

Nice report 🙂 

looks like a baby huss but hard to tell without seeing the mouth 

20 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

In my view squid is one of the nicest tasting seafoods. After lobster and cod.

Heavily dependent on a decent bit of cooking though, not necessarily adding stuff to change the taste but timing it right to avoid the rubbery effect. 
For me fresh mackerel takes a lot of beating. 

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

In my view squid is one of the nicest tasting seafoods. After lobster and cod.

Don't forget brown crab and after our holiday, anchovy fillets and not the tiddlers in jars! Not sure if I will ever get one up here 🤔 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Heavily dependent on a decent bit of cooking though, not necessarily adding stuff to change the taste but timing it right to avoid the rubbery effect. 
For me fresh mackerel takes a lot of beating. 

Agreed, 1 minute or 1 hour generally for squid. 

Have you ever had fresh herring?

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

Don't forget brown crab and after our holiday, anchovy fillets and not the tiddlers in jars! Not sure if I will ever get one up here 🤔 

Agreed, 1 minute or 1 hour generally for squid. 

Have you ever had fresh herring?

No, herring are prevalent here in the autumn months I believe but never bothered targeting them. I’ve known some locals to use nets for them to stock up on bait (top thornback (raja clavata for  @Saintly Fish)) and even for pet food. There was also a local commercial boat that caught them for feed at the sea life centre at Southend on sea. 
Perhaps I’ll just try with feathers.

9 hours ago, GPSguru said:

No, local for me is Teignmouth, Brixham, and Torbay.

Ah fair dos

yes I was thinking you have chesil not far and regarding the Cod targeting.

Though the beach is renown I’m not sure how the boats do off there for cod.