Avet Range

Maybe there's a parody here.  Everybody has big alloy wheels and rubber band tyres on their cars because they look good.  Steel wheels and higher profile tyres are lighter, give better suspension (less unsprung weight) and a better ride, but nobody specs them.  OK proper cast wheels are better (at a cost), but you don't get them on a standard car, and low profile tyres are trashed by the potholes here.  How many people need tyres designed for 100mph at a (dry) race track with no bumps!

i have a couple of Avets SX and MXJ i think. They're good reels but they have gone up a fair bit since i got mine and there are other reels for similar money now. When i got mine the £ was a lot stronger against the $ and they were only around £130, they're nearly double that now. The pinion bearings are a weak point but at around £5 no big deal to change when giving a service.

12 hours ago, Dicky said:

i have a couple of Avets SX and MXJ i think. They're good reels but they have gone up a fair bit since i got mine and there are other reels for similar money now. When i got mine the £ was a lot stronger against the $ and they were only around £130, they're nearly double that now. The pinion bearings are a weak point but at around £5 no big deal to change when giving a service.

In comparison, my 1st charter special was over 10 years old before the bearings were replaced, and that was more down to being packed away wet and salty for a month or 3........ Still using the same braid on it too, finally had to peel some back last outing.

My ABU's have never had new bearings (except the ones bought 2nd hand), so such a new reel requiring bearings sounds strange.....

I just made a very cheeky offer on eBay for £105 and got one.... that’s same price as a Saltist that I was looking at to replace my 23 year slosh. It’s had a hard life and I’ll keep it as a back up as not dead yet. 

If I don’t get on with it, hopefully can find somone who likes it 🙂 

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

In comparison, my 1st charter special was over 10 years old before the bearings were replaced

i have 9 Charter specials, both 1000's & 2000's, some of which are over 10 years old ............. a massive improvement to the reel is to fit a carbontex drag washer coated in Cals drag grease. This transforms the drag to being super silky smooth ........... at the same time I always replace the original bearings with stainless steel bearings ................. after that the reel is fairly bombproof ...............

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

i have 9 Charter specials, both 1000's & 2000's, some of which are over 10 years old ............. a massive improvement to the reel is to fit a carbontex drag washer coated in Cals drag grease. This transforms the drag to being super silky smooth ........... at the same time I always replace the original bearings with stainless steel bearings ................. after that the reel is fairly bombproof ...............

Fancy doing a "How-To" on drag washer and bearing replacement Ian?

I have 6 Charter Specials, all 2000 models and all 10 years old or older which are still on their original bearings.

I have upgraded the drags to carbontex with cals grease, increased the amount of drag available by fitting H/D Belleville sets and fitted larger custom handles due to the type of fishing I use for them for.

All part sourced from Alan Tanni.

5 minutes ago, headlight said:

I have 6 Charter Specials, all 2000 models and all 10 years old or older which are still on their original bearings.

I have upgraded the drags to carbontex with cals grease, increased the amount of drag available by fitting H/D Belleville sets and fitted larger custom handles due to the type of fishing I use for them for.

All part sourced from Alan Tanni.

Ooh look who’s come up for air!

👋🏻

The Avets don't come with tools, a schematic, handbook or owt except a tube of oil and warning not to pre-load the drag in gear!  Apparently, back in the day of minicd they came with a digital manual.  There's nothing to welcome you in the box other than a description how to break it!  Very disappointing.

4 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yep, there’s a CD. 

Gone off for a service now. Nice reels but I wouldn’t pay £220 for one.... £65 each is more my thing 🙂 

What are you supposed to do with a cd? Who still has that technology?