Avet Range

Hi all,

Does anyone have an idiots guide to Avet range of reels? Basically I’m after a guide of what reels are same/similar to your traditional Saltist/Slosh/TLDs etc 

I know some are 2 speed, different spool widths etc.... is there a comparison chart?

The MXL and the LX ranges have roughly the same width spool as the TLD20, at 1 7/8" and 2 1/4" respectively, vs the TLD's 2".

I haven't seen a comparison chart for the full range but if you take a look at Rokmax's site and click the Specification option for each reel it shows the dimensions of each model. You can then compare these with the Saltist/Slosh/TLD stats.

eE9Xdy7.jpg

33 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Are they worth the cash? 

I mean they look lovely with all their fancy colours etc, but do they justify the price tag? 🤔

For me, yes. I'm actually turned off by the fancy colours - both of mine are in standard ali colour, but the build quality is great, the drags are super smooth and I love their design. Beautiful things to look at when I'm blanking...

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

For me, yes. I'm actually turned off by the fancy colours - both of mine are in standard ali colour, but the build quality is great, the drags are super smooth and I love their design. Beautiful things to look at when I'm blanking...

I had three Avets, all had issues unfortunately. I had a couple of well known shark anglers here earlier in the year who both used the bigger end of the Avet reels. Don't know if it was just the calibre of sharks they got into over here but the drags were far from smooth, in saying that they did take on several sharks in excess of 500lbs (in one day!!).

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

They also suffer from pinion bearing issues ................ IIRC the bearing gets slightly crushed, and it makes the reel feel really rough ?

16 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

They also suffer from pinion bearing issues ................ IIRC the bearing gets slightly crushed, and it makes the reel feel really rough ?

Yes, I've heard the same, but I've also heard that this is an intrinsic risk to all lever drag reels - if you adjust the pre-load when the spool is in gear it can crush the bearing - hence the guidance to always put the reel into freespool before adjusting the pre-load.

Either way, I can confirm that they're great for 🐶🐟

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yes, I've heard the same, but I've also heard that this is an intrinsic risk to all lever drag reels - if you adjust the pre-load when the spool is in gear it can crush the bearing - hence the guidance to always put the reel into freespool before adjusting the pre-load.

Either way, I can confirm that they're great for 🐶🐟

Indeed  .............. Shimano give you a large print warning about doing that !

For now, i will stick to Shimano (Charter Specials and TLD's) and Fin-nor (twin speed for the bigger stuff) ............

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

You beat me to it. It’s not like you put any strain on yours is it! 
Not yet anyway. You’ll get there one day. 

Thanks mate. I need to work up to it though - aiming for a Lesser Spotted Bull Huss next 😉

Interesting feedback all 🙂

Ill stick to my trusty TLD5 for lighter downtide work then. 

They do a good range of left handed reels which is great for Emma (a leftie). She will be kitted out for sharks after Xmas but I’m looking at options for her preferred fishing which is based around edibles like pollack/mackerel/bass/cod! 

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Interesting feedback all 🙂

Ill stick to my trusty TLD5 for lighter downtide work then. 

They do a good range of left handed reels which is great for Emma (a leftie).  I’m looking at options for her preferred fishing which is based around edibles like pollack/mackerel/bass/cod! 

Left handed and sensible - I told you I thought that Emma sounded loke a keeper. Geoff.

I've got an Avet SX5.3 MC for heavy shore use. It's slightly bulkier than a fathom 15, but holds a lot more line.  It's a lefty, which I prefer, but switch as the reel dictates.  Several points for prospective buyers:

• Bearings come full of grease and need cleaning out and rocket fuel before casting.  Casts well but not in the field casting league
  • If you don't pay the extra $50 for a coloured one, the silver on silver small engraving for the mag brakes is invisible
  • Dial for above is shallow and chromed = slippy.  I'll fit a better one
  • The drag on mine was grabby so I greased the disc brake lightly (just rubbed into the disc material).  Avet say this is a no no, but all the reel tuners I can find disagree
  • The cover behind the clicker knob is a badly cut piece of crap plastic sheet.  A chrome one from a Penn fit mine perfect.  Don't know the model, came out of the dead reels bones box
  • The reel seat is like a ships davit, ie big, lifting the reel off the rod.  I've got big hands and the reach to the spool is OK for me, but a lot would struggle to really clamp the spool
  • There's a lot of play in the anti-reverse

I just had to try one.  I know most of these comments apply to shorecasting, but with strong and small reels today, and modern braid, my reels do both shore and boat, mostly thanks to my favourite, the Fathom 15.  Be interesting to see how the Avet performs compared to these.

3 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

I've got an Avet SX5.3 MC for heavy shore use. It's slightly bulkier than a fathom 15, but holds a lot more line.  It's a lefty, which I prefer, but switch as the reel dictates.  Several points for prospective buyers:

• Bearings come full of grease and need cleaning out and rocket fuel before casting.  Casts well but not in the field casting league
  • If you don't pay the extra $50 for a coloured one, the silver on silver small engraving for the mag brakes is invisible
  • Dial for above is shallow and chromed = slippy.  I'll fit a better one
  • The drag on mine was grabby so I greased the disc brake lightly (just rubbed into the disc material).  Avet say this is a no no, but all the reel tuners I can find disagree
  • The cover behind the clicker knob is a badly cut piece of crap plastic sheet.  A chrome one from a Penn fit mine perfect.  Don't know the model, came out of the dead reels bones box
  • The reel seat is like a ships davit, ie big, lifting the reel off the rod.  I've got big hands and the reach to the spool is OK for me, but a lot would struggle to really clamp the spool
  • There's a lot of play in the anti-reverse

I just had to try one.  I know most of these comments apply to shorecasting, but with strong and small reels today, and modern braid, my reels do both shore and boat, mostly thanks to my favourite, the Fathom 15.  Be interesting to see how the Avet performs compared to these.

This doesn’t make great reading for what was considered a couple of years ago to be the holy grail of reels. Maybe it’s just the bright colours a d the novelty factor that’s been making them so popular? 

The $50 extra for a funky colour (if you want a leftie) is a bit steep.  The faults are minor, but add up, and for someone unable to strip the reel and fix its probs would lead to extra expense and grief.  The Aluminium billet parts are spot on, a work of art even, and it's got great cranking power.  I'm left wondering whether I should have got a lever drag fathom and mag braked it myself?  There's a thought for a new trend in casting reels.

23 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

The $50 extra for a funky colour (if you want a leftie) is a bit steep.  The faults are minor, but add up, and for someone unable to strip the reel and fix its probs would lead to extra expense and grief.  The Aluminium billet parts are spot on, a work of art even, and it's got great cranking power.  I'm left wondering whether I should have got a lever drag fathom and mag braked it myself?  There's a thought for a new trend in casting reels.

The avets have become really popular of late, do you think it is a case of them being turned out quicker to meet demand? 

Possibly it's because they're cheaper now, and the attention to detail has been lost?  I don't know as I don't have an older one for comparison.  I didn't mean to slag them off, I'm sure it will be a great reel once I've finished working on it, but should I have to?

2 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Possibly it's because they're cheaper now, and the attention to detail has been lost?  I don't know as I don't have an older one for comparison.  I didn't mean to slag them off, I'm sure it will be a great reel once I've finished working on it, but should I have to?

No, it should be straight out of the box ready to go. The bearings being greased are no big deal, most people would use them like that for general fishing. I always used to soak my bearings in lighter fluid to clean them before putting rocket fuel on them. the other issues seem like flaws, but maybe you had a bad one. 

19 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Sorry to hear that you've not had a great experience. I wonder if yours was a one off? I have an SX5.3 and an MXJ5.8 and they've both been faultless over the last three years I've had them. I also have an EX30W which I have yet to use in anger. The quality of all three is spot on.

Just now, Andy135 said:

Sorry to hear that you've not had a great experience. I wonder if yours was a one off? I have an SX5.3 and an MXJ5.8 and they've both been faultless over the last three years I've had them. I also have an EX30W which I have yet to use in anger. The quality of all three is spot on.

The perfect dog fish catchers. 

I'd do that.  Think I'll use my old 535mag for conger and tope if the Avet starts eating pinion bearings!  I can adjust the HT100 drag for 1/3 turn to full on (like a lever drag), and replace all the bearings for about 20 quid.  Will then do another 20yrs with the odd clean.  All the drive components are at least as big as the Avet (and stainless) and it's handled big conger, ray and tope from rocky shores without a cough, and no play anywhere.