Set Up

3 minutes ago, Jed Stone said:

Hi,

Got to set up my HDS9 And Simrad AC12 + Rudder feedback + Nac 2 computer + Precision 9 compass + RPU 80.

Any tips or USEFUL advice appreciated.

If you wanna be sarky then FO 🤭

Pay a pro to do it properly!!

How Much ? £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

3 minutes ago, Jed Stone said:

How Much ? £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Not as much as it would cost you if you fuck it up??

17 minutes ago, Jed Stone said:

Hi,

Got to set up my HDS9 And Simrad AC12 + Rudder feedback + Nac 2 computer + Precision 9 compass + RPU 80.

Any tips or USEFUL advice appreciated.

If you wanna be sarky then FO 🤭

How handy with DIY are you? If you know one end of a spanner from the other then firstly (and this might seem obvious, but here goes...) read all the instructions. I know, I know, we're blokes and we hate to read instructions, but in all seriousness, the manufacturers design this stuff to be pretty much plug and play these days, so it's probably worth sitting down with a cup of tea/coffee/whisky and reading everything first just to see what's involved. Then you can figure out whether it's something you feel capable of taking on.

The HDS will be simple - I can talk you through it if you get stuck (I've done enough of them across several boats). Then you'll need to set up an NMEA2k network for your Precision 9, AC12 and NAC2 to talk to each other and your HDS9 - again, setting up an N2k network is straightforward - just a couple of power connections and that's it - everything else is literally just plugging the network leads into the backbone.

I have no experience of installing an RPU80, but again, follow the guidance in the manual/installation guide.

If you get stuck, just shout and we'll do our best to help.

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Not as much as it would cost you if you fuck it up??

What's got your knickers in a twist today then? You've been sniping at Jed across a couple of threads now, telling him he's got a wiener, then saying he'll fuck up his install. Poor lad. Got to build him up, not knock him down. 👍

15 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

What's got your knickers in a twist today then? You've been sniping at Jed across a couple of threads now, telling him he's got a wiener, then saying he'll fuck up his install. Poor lad. Got to build him up, not knock him down. 👍

Me?? Never. Jed suggested size wasn’t everything..... which leans him to the smaller side of life. 
And I’m just emphasising that if not done correctly the install could be cost. If he’s asking for advice then he’s obviously not 100% confident in doing the job himself. Paying a pro gives come back if a mistake is made. 
Im sure Jed doesn’t feel picked on, calm down dear. 💋

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

If he’s asking for advice then he’s obviously not 100% confident in doing the job himself.

Not obvious at all. Maybe he's just being sensible and canvassing opinion on the best way to go about it, so that he can avoid the mistakes of others?

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Paying a pro gives come back if a mistake is made. 

But that's cold comfort if a mistake ends up causing loss of function 12 miles out. This is the reason why I do as much as I can myself on the boat - if anything goes wrong, there's a good chance that I can fix it on the spot, which could mean the difference between getting home safely under my own steam or calling the RNLI out for a tow just because of, say, a blown fuse.

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Me?? Never. Jed suggested size wasn’t everything..... which leans him to the smaller side of life. 
And I’m just emphasising that if not done correctly the install could be cost. If he’s asking for advice then he’s obviously not 100% confident in doing the job himself. Paying a pro gives come back if a mistake is made. 
Im sure Jed doesn’t feel picked on, calm down dear. 💋

Calm Down Calm Down................. as suggested i am capable of doing this but just wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences .

So thanks for the comments ( BTW my wiener isn't massive 🤫)

If they all have a NEMA2k connection you are away 🙂 

Youll need to set up a backplane and terminate both ends of the bus using NEMA2k terminators. it really is plug and play. You can choose a T-Piece connector or form a back plane abs plug into it. 

I have a Simrad SIMNET bus. It’d based on NEMA2K protocol however just different connectors. I have nearly all SIMRAD gear but my AIS is on NEMA2k so I got a NEMA2K to SIMNET connector and it was plug and play.

On a power set up, personally I’d have a fused connection for each and switched so that if it goes tits up you can isolate one part and not have your whole instrumentation go down. 

I can sketch it out and draw a diagram if it helps? 

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

If they all have a NEMA2k connection you are away 🙂 

Youll need to set up a backplane and terminate both ends of the bus using NEMA2k terminators. it really is plug and play. You can choose a T-Piece connector or form a back plane abs plug into it. 

I have a Simrad SIMNET bus. It’d based on NEMA2K protocol however just different connectors. I have nearly all SIMRAD gear but my AIS is on NEMA2k so I got a NEMA2K to SIMNET connector and it was plug and play.

On a power set up, personally I’d have a fused connection for each and switched so that if it goes tits up you can isolate one part and not have your whole instrumentation go down. 

I can sketch it out and draw a diagram if it helps? 

Thank you, a sketch would help 👍

This is what a Nmea2K backbone looks like ............

spacer.png

You will need a T connector for each device and an extra one for the power.  Don't forget the 'terminators' at each end and ideally (not essential) keep the 2k drop cables to the backbone as short as possible. I doesn't matter which manufacturer of T connector you use, they all meet the same spec and are interchangeable ............

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, Andy135 said:

Any update on this one Jed? How are you getting on?

Only managed to get a few hours onboard doing the jobs, all kit fitted but now adding new fuse block and wiring from leisure battery getting rid of the spiders web of old wiring along the way 🙂

5 minutes ago, Jed Stone said:

Only managed to get a few hours onboard doing the jobs, all kit fitted but now adding new fuse block and wiring from leisure battery getting rid of the spiders web of old wiring along the way 🙂

Good progress. Keep us posted 👍