spinning reel suggestions

I'm bored as I haven't been fishing in weeks so turning my attentions to retail therapy, and I know you lot love spending other peoples money

I won a boat load of soft plastics form Lureshed and so want to get after a few things - one being trolling and lure fishing off the boat over rough ground - the other is doing more form the shore, piers, rocks etc - 

I have lovely 30-70g Nomura Kanji rod and Kanji FW40 reel - but the reel is not holding up as well as the rod - the fake shadow chrome on the handle is peeling off and its making some questionable noises. I suspect the rod is high quality = the reel isn't. 

so what do i replace it with? - something that can cast from the shore and be used on the boat, with a normal spool and spare spool for braid. Sub £100.

I also have a lovely Abu vendetta 15-40 lighter spinning rod and an abu cardinal 54.

thanks

Mike 

4 hours ago, mike farrants said:

I'm bored as I haven't been fishing in weeks so turning my attentions to retail therapy, and I know you lot love spending other peoples money

I won a boat load of soft plastics form Lureshed and so want to get after a few things - one being trolling and lure fishing off the boat over rough ground - the other is doing more form the shore, piers, rocks etc - 

I have lovely 30-70g Nomura Kanji rod and Kanji FW40 reel - but the reel is not holding up as well as the rod - the fake shadow chrome on the handle is peeling off and its making some questionable noises. I suspect the rod is high quality = the reel isn't. 

so what do i replace it with? - something that can cast from the shore and be used on the boat, with a normal spool and spare spool for braid. Sub £100.

I also have a lovely Abu vendetta 15-40 lighter spinning rod and an abu cardinal 54.

thanks

Mike 

You won't go far wrong with any Shimano small FS reel Mike. 
something like this, dependant on budget..

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano-stradic-gtm-rc-reel?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA8YyuBhBSEiwA5R3-Ew3dQla1psyUPqbh0fZR47_SOQukB4mHifOKUk-esxyKH6fh6GvoWhoC8zQQAvD_BwE

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

The Shimano Stella 4000 is a decent reel that will stand the test of time, also they are on offer at the moment,

https://www.veals.co.uk/product/shimano-stella-sw-4000-xg-c/

Lovely reel but 7x over-budget 🤣

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

The Shimano Stella 4000 is a decent reel that will stand the test of time, also they are on offer at the moment,

https://www.veals.co.uk/product/shimano-stella-sw-4000-xg-c/

let me check my lotto numbers......

5 hours ago, mike farrants said:

I could buy 7 times and still have change lol 🤣

Stella's also go wrong and they cost far more to get serviced. I have a penn battle mk3 which has been used and abused which equate to around 50 quid new. I wouldn't buy another as they are simply to heavy but for a cheap beach sharking reel to lend to people I often take shore fishing its been great. I did also have the latest Penn slammer at more than 3 times the price, again heavy and not what I had hoped for so sold it on. By far my favourite is the Shimano Saragosa for heavy beach or boat work but unfortunately outside the price range you want but worth it in my opinion. 
This was caught using the battle mk 3 6000 and has managed many more sharks and rays of around the 100kg size and still performs like new.

IMG_7914.thumb.jpg.3c1f57d5371a3c01b0637bcf2a410aa0.jpg

1 hour ago, Ivan Tuna said:

Mr Fish in Jersey will sort you out Mike, check out his website quite a few budget priced Shimano 

He's a decent chap. We had a good natter with him a few years back when @Davemc , @Tadpole and I did a few days bass blanking over there.

Exages were OK (they are discontinued now) - but the chrome on the bail arm goes flaky and cuts your braid and the anti-reverse  packs in after a year or two. Stradics are good but a bit pricey. I have an Ultegra which is very good for the money and I use on the kayak - its the cheapest Shimano with a one peice bail arm. the C3000 sized one is almost 50% off at £81  https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-fc-reel?queryID=a0d87eb623648f030e58ef2cb228c0b9&objectID=95061&indexName=live_ad_uk_products. I would get that sub £100 but it might be a bit light / small for your heavy rod or a Daiwa Ninja (but they have lots of different models and i can never remeber which one is the good one!).

Reels

2 hours ago, RogB said:

Exages were OK (they are discontinued now) - but the chrome on the bail arm goes flaky and cuts your braid and the anti-reverse  packs in after a year or two.

Not had either of those problems on either mine?

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Not had either of those problems on either mine?

Probably directly linked to maintenance or even just a basic wash down after use? 

50 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Or a bad batch?

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Probably directly linked to maintenance or even just a basic wash down after use? 

Well I think i have had 3 in various sizes bought at different times - generally used from the beach and kayak, not dunked nor splashed and I don't drop them in the sand. Rinsed fairly regularly but not every time. The 4000 sized one with a T shaped handle also has the handle knob bearing very stiff. My mate has two and both anti-reverse died on his, and he rinses his everytime. We do use them a couple of times a week on average over summer though.

3 minutes ago, RogB said:

Well I think i have had 3 in various sizes bought at different times - generally used from the beach and kayak, not dunked nor splashed and I don't drop them in the sand. Rinsed fairly regularly but not every time. The 4000 sized one with a T shaped handle also has the handle knob bearing very stiff. My mate has two and both anti-reverse died on his, and he rinses his everytime. We do use them a couple of times a week on average over summer though.

Do you store them in a fridge at the specified temperature? That’s the key. 

I don't rinse, just a wet cloth, kitchen roll dry then a wipe with a little oil. Every so often I oil the handle linkages etc and then the roller arm bearing as there is always some splashing or spray on the kayak or boat.