Fishing injuries

When I was a teenager I was deadbaiting on a local river for pike, using a twin treble hook trace for the bait. After having caught and banked a fish I unhooked the first treble, and went in further to unhook the second when the pike thrashed and hooked my thumb to the free treble, right in the thumb joint. Fair to say it stung just a bit! 😳

The pike just would not lie still and continued to fight and thrash, all the while connected to my thumb. In the ensuing commotion I had to ask a passer-by to hold the fish still so that I could unhook the last treble 🥴🤣

Seeing as most of us have been dangling for years I reckon we must have some good war stories to share?

Was servicing a reel at home one night and prising off a circlip with a sharp screwdriver.   Slipped and the clip went ping.  Went looking around the kitchen for the clip and heard a strange ticking sound, turned around and there's pools of dark stuff everywhere.  The srewdriver had gone clean through the middle joint of my middle finger and blood was p1ssing out.  Didn't hurt atall. Went to wake the missus, saying I needed a lift to casualty.  She replies 'can't it wait till morning', takes a look and throws up.  Off we go to casualty and the nurse says 'can't it wait it's friday night', so I show her the finger when she nearly pukes and retching sounds come from the rest of the waiting room.  So I'm sat waiting with my hand held high and literally covered in blood by now, it's still pumping out.  I get seen in 10min co's it's grossing people out, finger X rayed and NO damage other than blood vessels.  No pain until the screwdriver comes out, then 'bam' agony. Put me on a drip due to blood loss, morphine (yes please) and sent me home a couple of hours later once the bleeding stopped.  It was only when I got home and looked in the mirror that I realised that I looked like a bucket of blood had been poured over me.

2 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Was servicing a reel at home one night and prising off a circlip with a sharp screwdriver.   Slipped and the clip went ping.  Went looking around the kitchen for the clip and heard a strange ticking sound, turned around and there's pools of dark stuff everywhere.  The srewdriver had gone clean through the middle joint of my middle finger and blood was p1ssing out.  Didn't hurt atall. Went to wake the missus, saying I needed a lift to casualty.  She replies 'can't it wait till morning', takes a look and throws up.  Off we go to casualty and the nurse says 'can't it wait it's friday night', so I show her the finger when she nearly pukes and retching sounds come from the rest of the waiting room.  So I'm sat waiting with my hand held high and literally covered in blood by now, it's still pumping out.  I get seen in 10min co's it's grossing people out, finger X rayed and NO damage other than blood vessels.  No pain until the screwdriver comes out, then 'bam' agony. Put me on a drip due to blood loss, morphine (yes please) and sent me home a couple of hours later once the bleeding stopped.  It was only when I got home and looked in the mirror that I realised that I looked like a bucket of blood had been poured over me.

Yeah well the worm juice hurt a lot more I bet!

7 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Yep, that's a good 'un! 👍

Tail whipped by a tope, took all the skin off my lower leg. Hurt like crazy after a few days with green puss coming out. Had to wear shorts to work and flip flops.... 

Been bitten by dogs numerous times.. 

Once had a conger eel attach itself to my foot.... that ruined a pair of wellies. 

Seen damage an angry shark can do so keep a healthy respect for them! 

Edited by Odyssey

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Last September ................. had to get Kyle to cut off the eye with side cutters, I then forced the hook right through and out of the side of my finger ........ yes, it smarted a little 😒🙄

Hook.thumb.jpg.7610ae5455a6bffda8018b419003efa8.jpg

That's the way to do it Ian 😳

26 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Still think worm juice in a cut is the worst. 

That is nasty. Back in the autumn some twats with sails went over my lines, I got a lovely line cut on my thumb, stung for ages I can only begin to imagine what it would be like with worm juice in it. 

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Nah ........... getting your foreskin stuck in the zip when the boat is rocking around makes your eyes water ..............

Sorry for giving you a Laugh emoji for that one Ian but.... 🤣🤣🤣😱

28 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Nah ........... getting your foreskin stuck in the zip when the boat is rocking around makes your eyes water ..............

Don’t start, we’ve done a good job keeping your sexploits out of this forum so far!

My mate came in late evening during last winter with his offshore 25 and as he was loading the boat onto the trailer he slipped off the draw bar and smacked his face into the winch post .................. it knocked him senseless and his son / crew had to finish loading the boat which is stored in a compound beside the private slip .............

The same evening his sight deteriorated, and he was taken to A&E, where the diagnosis was a detached retina ............ after 2 op's he is Ok now, but he tells me the sight is still not what it was ............... TBH, if I had been there, I would have taken him straight to A&E .............

My grandson (who is a handful) was on the boat fishing for mackerel using hockeye lures when he got one right through his finger.  Now I had this happen many years ago whilst fishing the iow bassing when a mate did exactly the same.  I ended up going into Yarmouth so he could make his way to hospital to have it removed. Well I said to Dan (grandson) do you want to go in to have a doctor remove it and stop fishing or do you want granddad to deal with it.  You do it grandad was his retort.  Well I grabbed his finger as tight as I could, cut off the eye then pushed the hook all the way though.  Not a tear but a thank you was his response, I was so proud of that 9 year old boy.  However he then went on to stub his toe on the cabin door threshold then slip on the stairs to the fly bridge doing his shin in

@Maverick I’ve given you and your grandson a Like emoji. Not because it like to hear about people’s pain and suffering, but because we have no sympathy emoji. Well done to you and him for fronting up the problem and getting through it like men. I bet you were more worried than him.