Spooling station

Just now, JonC said:

I’ve never used one, are they any good? I always just put a large screwdriver in the spool jam it in somewhere and reel it off. 

But then you can’t set the tension on the spool that the line is coming off. A station you can restrict how fast the line spills off. 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

But then you can’t set the tension on the spool that the line is coming off. A station you can restrict how fast the line spills off. 

Yeah that’s a good point. I usually run it through a wet rag if it’s a casting reel like my mag elites but for a boat reel I just keep a bit of tension on with my hand. I can see the station being better but I only change line every year or so!

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Yeah that’s a good point. I usually run it through a wet rag if it’s a casting reel like my mag elites but for a boat reel I just keep a bit of tension on with my hand. I can see the station being better but I only change line every year or so!

Then that’s enough to warrant having one.

For mono's, some need to come off the front face otherwise you intoduce a lot of twist.... Really an issue with fixed spools and lighter lines, but if you spool has a little plastic peg on the back, then it should be removed from the front... If you're loading a multiplier, ignore this...

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That's what you use your fingers/thumb for!!

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

For mono's, some need to come off the front face otherwise you intoduce a lot of twist.... Really an issue with fixed spools and lighter lines, but if you spool has a little plastic peg on the back, then it should be removed from the front... If you're loading a multiplier, ignore this...

What and risk damaging my manicure!!

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

For all multiplier reels it’s best to come off the front otherwise you get horrendous line twist. 

3 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Never had it happen on a multi, as no twist action in the retrieve

As it comes off the side of the spool it twists one turn each time making the line kink eventually. Not that big a deal though. 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

As it comes off the side of the spool it twists one turn each time making the line kink eventually. Not that big a deal though. 

Ahhh gotcha, what you are calling side, I'm calling front..... Some monos are spooled with a pre twist, hence the peg, so it untwists when loaded by a fixed spool

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

7DDBC93B-C4C5-45ED-87DB-BCE4EE2E7927.thumb.png.e72e48dfcf5eece4ec15ac7c08efaa22.pngAnyway, the Berkeley ones look ok, about £35 can’t see that there’s much to go wrong. I would like a light on it or a digital display though. 

This is the one I have. The side clamps are plastic springs and it’s there that mine has broken. But I’ve had it for about 9 years

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

This is the one I have. The side clamps are plastic springs and it’s there that mine has broken. But I’ve had it for about 9 years

£4 a year? That’s not too bad then. 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’d of thought you’d have done division.  36 divide by 9 

Yes but then I double checked my answer by going the other way with it, showing my workings and all that.