Species/method

Hooked1980

A good bream on a small rod certainly does give a good account of itself. 
Fishing the solent, most fish are relatively small. So when a decent fish bites it’s always a pleasure. I’m not into eating fish too much so for me anything that fights back is what I’m after. A large conger, or a decent hound or tope. Rays are nice but don’t fight too much. 

Sharks on the drift, absolute adrenaline rush. 

No. 2: uptiding for blondes. I can get to a Mark and have 40-50 a few hundred yards from the marina. All will be double figure some well over 20lb. Also a good chance of cod. It’s just such easy fishing, kettle on, pizza in oven, sausage rolls in oven, feet up 🙂 

No 3. Cod. Tastes great 😊 

no. 4: hounding. Can get too busy but I’m usually in shark country when these turn up.

No 5: Bream. It’s a 40-50 mile for the bream from Milford or Cardiff so tend to make a weekend of it. Do a bit of bassing/toping too 🙂 

10 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

FFS, even Stevie wonder with his hands tied behind his back could catch them .................🤣

You really should come to the July boat meet Ian. You’ll witness just how great Andy is at catching the humble dog. He doesn’t get called the 👨🏼‍🦰👽🐶🐟 for nothing you know. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

You really should come to the July boat meet Ian. You’ll witness just how great Andy is at catching the humble dog. He doesn’t get called the 👨🏼‍🦰👽🐶🐟 for nothing you know. 

He should have called his boat Battersea or kennel ...............🤣

9 hours ago, Hooked1980 said:

What's is everyone's favourite target species & method,and why?

After a trip to the channel islands I've fell in love with bream fishing and the lighter the tackle the better 

Just can't beat that rattle rattle 

FB_IMG_1610797363509.jpg

We dont get a whole lot of Bream here, but catching Wreck Pollock has to rank as one of my favourite pass times ..............

On a more serious note, big conger are fun, and bass on light lure gear. I spent a few seasons lure fishing for bass from shore and really enjoyed the watercraft that goes into catching a bass on a lure.

For me in no particular order

Tope - Uptiding

Conger - For the fight

Blondes rays - They can put up a good show on the right gear

Bream on light gear

Not a particular fan of Cod fishing I'm hoping the growing numbers of Spurdogs are going to allow me to concentrate on them in the future rather than chasing Unicorns

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

16 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Not a particular fan of Cod fishing

What! You mean you don't enjoy blanking in the freezing cold?? 🤣

I have to agree. So few of them about now that we fish for them more in hope than expectation...

1 Sharking on the drift

2 Bassing with livebaits

3 Wrecking with lures

4 Mixed fishing at anchor uptiding hounds, rays, conger, unicorns, tope.

5 Drifting for plaice, turbot, rays on banks

I love it all and wouldn't want to just do 1 style all the time and like a bit of variation

On 1/16/2021 at 2:20 PM, Odyssey said:

Sharks on the drift, absolute adrenaline rush. 

No. 2: uptiding for blondes. I can get to a Mark and have 40-50 a few hundred yards from the marina. All will be double figure some well over 20lb. Also a good chance of cod. It’s just such easy fishing, kettle on, pizza in oven, sausage rolls in oven, feet up 🙂 

No 3. Cod. Tastes great 😊 

no. 4: hounding. Can get too busy but I’m usually in shark country when these turn up.

No 5: Bream. It’s a 40-50 mile for the bream from Milford or Cardiff so tend to make a weekend of it. Do a bit of bassing/toping too 🙂 

I'm with you on all fronts there, bar the sharks, they have never really interested me

Where abouts do you go for Bream from Cardiff and Milford, I assume it's over the other side and pretty central to both ?

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I'm with you on all fronts there, bar the sharks, they have never really interested me

Where abouts do you go for Bream from Cardiff and Milford, I assume it's over the other side and pretty central to both ?

I head to Swansea. Fish off langland reef. May/June can be good as can late August. If you get a shoal it’s great fun 🙂