My orkney strikeliner 16+

Redcap19

4 minutes ago, Redcap19 said:

When i spoke to orkney and they say i should get at lest 18 to 20 with the 25hp on her

In which case it would be worth fitting an aftermarket rev counter just so you can work out what revs you're getting and then work out whether a re-prop is the way to go.

Just now, Andy135 said:

In which case it would be worth fitting an aftermarket rev counter just so you can work out what revs you're getting and then work out whether a re-prop is the way to go.

Iv run a 11 pitch and got 10 knots and now im running 13 and getting 14knots 

Nice looking boat ya got there.....

You dont need to spend a lot for a rev counter.... There are some cheapies on ebay that will give you an idea, you wrap a signal wire around one of the HT leads. Most are programmable for cylinders/2/4 stroke.

It will be impossible to get a good set up without knowing what revs you are getting

10 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Nice looking boat ya got there.....

You dont need to spend a lot for a rev counter.... There are some cheapies on ebay that will give you an idea, you wrap a signal wire around one of the HT leads. Most are programmable for cylinders/2/4 stroke.

It will be impossible to get a good set up without knowing what revs you are getting

Hi thank you for that ill look in to one and go from there 

53 minutes ago, Redcap19 said:

Hi thank you for that ill look in to one and go from there 

A quick look on Amazon has thrown this one up. Not used this particular model before but it's an example of the sort of thing that would at least be a cheap (£10) way to work out what revs you're getting from your engine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inductive-Tachometer-Resettable-Paramotors-Microlights/dp/B07GZMYH2R/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=digital+rev+counter&qid=1610882504&sr=8-15

56 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

A quick look on Amazon has thrown this one up. Not used this particular model before but it's an example of the sort of thing that would at least be a cheap (£10) way to work out what revs you're getting from your engine 

Hi thank you for the link ill order one and get back to u

57 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, what about excess weight?

Iv had a camera in all for of the seats and checked the form and its all dry the only thing i have fand is my boat is the only one iv seen where the outboard has been raise up and all the strikeliners iv seen havnt been 

12 minutes ago, Redcap19 said:

Iv had a camera in all for of the seats and checked the form and its all dry the only thing i have fand is my boat is the only one iv seen where the outboard has been raise up and all the strikeliners iv seen havnt been 

Maybe you could email the manufacturer and ask them the best location height for the outboard. Or call them,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=orkney+boats&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#

@Redcap19, when I had my Orkney I found that both corner voids underneath the rear bench seat were full of rainwater. I only found this out when I unscrewed the bilge pump to replace the diaphragm - upon removing the first fixing screw a jet of water came out! I had to use a narrow bore hose to suck up all the water between the foam and the side walls.

bXej6po.jpg

On your Strikeliner do you have an under-floor bung like the one circled, that drains into the bilge? If so it's probably worth opening that up to check you don't have water between the hull and the floor - this could add significant weight and reduce your max speed, plus cause roll instability.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

@Redcap19, when I had my Orkney I found that both corner voids underneath the rear bench seat were full of rainwater. I only found this out when I unscrewed the bilge pump to replace the diaphragm - upon removing the first fixing screw a jet of water came out! I had to use a narrow bore hose to suck up all the water between the foam and the side walls.

bXej6po.jpg

On your Strikeliner do you have an under-floor bung like the one circled, that drains into the bilge? If so it's probably worth opening that up to check you don't have water between the hull and the floor - this could add significant weight and reduce your max speed, plus cause roll instability.

Hi the picture wont load and where the cables come out the splash well i put a endoscope in both seats at back and there dry i hav a full cover that gos over the splash well and when im not using her the bilge bung isnt in as it is tiped up with bow in the air so no water can get in and when i winch her back on trailer it is out as it tips up lol 

8 minutes ago, Redcap19 said:

Hi the picture wont load and where the cables come out the splash well i put a endoscope in both seats at back and there dry i hav a full cover that gos over the splash well and when im not using her the bilge bung isnt in as it is tiped up with bow in the air so no water can get in and when i winch her back on trailer it is out as it tips up lol 

If you reduce the size of the pictures so that they are under 2Mb, or use a file-hosting service like Imgur or Flickr you'll be good to go.

Do you have a second bung though? Not the external transom bung that drains the bilge, but one inside the boat itself?

Ok, so one final thing to suggest - your prop hub. Is it still intact? Have you, or maybe a previous owner, hit something with the prop to make the hub shear (they're designed to do this to spare the gearbox from serious damage)? If so, you'd get full revs with your engine, but the hub would be slipping and the prop won't rotate as fast. A long shot, but this could cause your lack of speed.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ok, so one final thing to suggest - your prop hub. Is it still intact? Have you, or maybe a previous owner, hit something with the prop to make the hub shear (they're designed to do this to spare the gearbox from serious damage)? If so, you'd get full revs with your engine, but the hub would be slipping and the prop won't rotate as fast. A long shot, but this could cause your lack of speed.

Ok iv tryed 4 different prop 2x 11 pitch 

2x 13 pitch and dosnt make different i get the same speed out of all the prop but i will check them and get a rev gauge and go from there and check the seats again 

nice boat, there are so many reasons for loss of spead, i have a smimerler problem,

i have been told that i dont have anouf whaite in the bow. when i can get out on the water i will find out.the outhers on here have beter knollage than me, i just trial and eara and see what gives

2 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

nice boat, there are so many reasons for loss of spead, i have a smimerler problem,

i have been told that i dont have anouf whaite in the bow. when i can get out on the water i will find out.the outhers on here have beter knollage than me, i just trial and eara and see what gives

Thank you yer all we can do is trial and error and change things if we can good luck 

On 1/16/2021 at 8:20 PM, Redcap19 said:

Iv dun concession test and 125 in each and tryed to props and the best iv got is 14knots and boat is good for 22knots with a 25hp on it 

If there is nothing obvious then you need to check the weight of the boat ............