Jump to content

Chest freezer capacity


 Share

Recommended Posts

Only have one shelf of our second freezer for bait at present, but will be investing in a dedicated bait freezer in the next few months, so I'm interested to hear peoples responses to this thread too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Have any of you got large chest freezers for your bait? If so, how much can you fit inside them? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I’ve got a chest freezer, only single size ( washing machine size). 
I usually keep a few slabs of herring and 10kg  of squid just in case but stocks are low at the moment due to the fish market being limited service 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I was hoping to get 150-200kg of mackerel in a large one but not sure I’m being overly optimistic....

Are you taking the Romanian national fluff chucking team out for the day? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JonC said:

Are you taking the Romanian national fluff chucking team out for the day? 

Nope I want to stock up for chum 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a chest freezer in my garage which was stocked up with approx 12 x 5lb boxes of squid,10,boxes of mini squid,packs of herring,mackerel and bluey's 10 of each, I also purchase wire baskets to sit on the top which have had frozen lug, sandeels and crabs there was also plenty of room left for freezer blocks for the cool  box on the boat.

Hope this gives you a rough idea.

Steve

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds good! 
 

I’ve seen a 450l version cheap locally and they’ll deliver too so if I can exchange contracts on old and new houses this week I’ll get it on order. 
 

Plan to get 150-200kg of mackerel/sardines or see if Ammo will give a good price on 20 blocks of chum. Rest is room ready for pollack and cod fillets that Emma will catch for me 🙂 I just get to helm and unhook if we go reefing.... beats me on reefing and winter cod fishing 😬😬😬😬😬

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So contract sent off today.... hopefully I’ll be a new home owner on 12th March. 
 

Freezer identified, bait source identified for a bargain price! Just got to wait now...... 😬😬😬😬

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2021 at 7:41 PM, Odyssey said:

I was hoping to get 150-200kg of mackerel in a large one but not sure I’m being overly optimistic....

 

200kg ............ roughly 400lb .... which equates to around 600 Mackerel ...........

About 5 hours fishing for us ............ 😛

Edited by GPSguru
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our freezers are for putting goat, deer or ice, very little space needed for bait. A beach session like the other night consists of taking two baits to catch bigger fresh bait, so two mackerel will result in an endless supply of tailor or salmon as bait. Same for out in the boat, a bait jig will soon have the live bait tank teaming with fresh live bait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JDP said:

Our freezers are for putting goat, deer or ice, very little space needed for bait. A beach session like the other night consists of taking two baits to catch bigger fresh bait, so two mackerel will result in an endless supply of tailor or salmon as bait. Same for out in the boat, a bait jig will soon have the live bait tank teaming with fresh live bait.

Sometimes Jon, I think you just like to show off!!! 🤣

Catching fish from the shore! Whatever next?? 🤣

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

 

200kg ............ roughly 400lb .... which equates to around 600 Mackerel ...........

About 5 hours fishing for us ............ 😛

Yep I know 😞 

But if you buddy up with friendly charter skipper you can get 200kg of mackerel frames (heads and guts) for £0.50 per kg it’s cheaper than fuel and the months spent trying to find them! 😬😬😬😬😬

Hopefulky enough fish to make 400kg of chum which is about 30 trips so maybe a season.... I can keep adding to it with left over bait etc 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Yep I know 😞 

But if you buddy up with friendly charter skipper you can get 200kg of mackerel frames (heads and guts) for £0.50 per kg it’s cheaper than fuel and the months spent trying to find them! 😬😬😬😬😬

Hopefulky enough fish to make 400kg of chum which is about 30 trips so maybe a season.... I can keep adding to it with left over bait etc 🙂 

We tend to start off the same chum from the stored Mack in the freezer (about 30 - 50), and then we generally catch enough mack when drifting  to keep us going all day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

We tend to start off the same chum from the stored Mack in the freezer (about 30 - 50), and then we generally catch enough mack when drifting  to keep us going all day.

 

Catch as you drift..... I wish! I had 4 on the boat last year. One in summer and 3 in December! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Catch as you drift..... I wish! I had 4 on the boat last year. One in summer and 3 in December! 

 

What do the Sharks feed on in the deeps  if there are not many Mack ? .......... I would guess probably Whiting, because they like deep water during the summer and Autumn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

 

What do the Sharks feed on in the deeps  if there are not many Mack ? .......... I would guess probably Whiting, because they like deep water during the summer and Autumn

Whiting, squid, joeys and sardines. They are there but not in shoals and with 300ft of water to cover it’s hard to find them 😬

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 6’ chest freezer for bait, I got it for shark chum storage using 10L plastic paint tubs. 20 of these about half fills it. A bit worried this  year as I missed out on as much free winter  herring as I wanted from the ring betters in our harbour ‘gotta be there to get it and I wasn’t’ 😞😞. Looks like I’m gonna have some very early mornings this summer to stockpile some mackerel.  

Edited by DINOBOY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m hoping to get a bulk discount with a charter skipper mate. Hopefully get a decent cost reduction, fill freezer then defrost and bake chum sometime soon 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...