fishing rods

1 hour ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

fishig rods and reals

wat would you recermend and why  for boat fishing in the solent area also line

Hi Pete

id get two ugly sticks with a level wind reel. 
12-20lb and 20-30lb

Then 30lb braid. 

Another vote for GX2 Ugly Stiks, I have 3, along with many many other rods, but they represent good value for money, have a nice action and reasonable build quality

I have a 20-30 I use for general bottom fishing and 2 x 30-50"s I use for sharks up to around 200-250lbs.

Reel wise I would recommend a level wind lever drag multi in an appropriate size such as Okuma SLX 10 or Shimano Charter Special.

I have 7 Okuma SLX"s and 6 Shimano Charter Specials.

Mainline wise, for general fishing I use 40lb Spectra braid.

Cheap as chips and reliable.

Edited by headlight

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

They are a favourite because they are cost effective and good value for money. 
my main rods are zziplex UK hooks. 
but at £300 a pop, not many people have them. 

i take it you have as back up

Nothing OTT for me

An older suveran 20-30 with a Penn Squall 30 (IIRC) for wrecking, Newer Suveran 12-20 with a 2speed fathom15 and a recently bought Penn rampage 6-12 coupled to a Fathom 12 which is yet to see the water (got a trip booked form Weymouth on 30th for Bream and flats etc) and doesn't look like it will see any for a while yet with our lock down looming

Oh and a plethora of uptide and downtide rods and reels which I use regularly in the Bristol Channel

2 Team Daiwa 4-10oz uptiders (best uptiders ever made) with Saltist 30s for uptiding (Bargain too good to miss is use slosh 30 before) 

Shimano Twin Power 12-20lb and TLD5 for reefing (cost me £40 the pair) 

old gear but lovely gear 🙂 

other than that is shark gear.

Various family members have been given GX2s as Xmas presents for when they come out on the boat 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

I just love the Daiwa Kensakis.  The 10-25lb does most things on its own, lovely soft tip and bends gradually into a lot of power in the butt.  Old 12-20 is a lovely, very light, rod but much less power than the modern equivalent.  We use Penn Fathom 15s with 40lb spectra braid.  I find the 12-20 and 12lb Penn rods (rampage and regiment) too aggressive, they're very tippy and seem to bounce fish off on braid.  I have a fair few other rods which are OK (Greys, Ugly Stick, Daiwa) but none stand out like the Kensakis

39 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

I just love the Daiwa Kensakis.  The 10-25lb does most things on its own, lovely soft tip and bends gradually into a lot of power in the butt.  Old 12-20 is a lovely, very light, rod but much less power than the modern equivalent.  We use Penn Fathom 15s with 40lb spectra braid.  I find the 12-20 and 12lb Penn rods (rampage and regiment) too aggressive, they're very tippy and seem to bounce fish off on braid.  I have a fair few other rods which are OK (Greys, Ugly Stick, Daiwa) but none stand out like the Kensakis

I've not used the new blue Kenzaki's but I have four of the older orange ones and you're spot on - they are nicely soft and a little lighter than their stated line classes.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Post up an Intro on the Introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself. Where do you fish, for what species etc 👍

I have the 20-30 and 30-50 blue super Kenzakis, I love them! I still have the gold Ugly sticks as back ups. I have a new GX2 but find it to soft for deep water fishing in big tides, where as the super Kenzaki has more back bone with a nice tip. I have them matched with Penn Squall 20 and a 30 size with level winds.

I also have a Penn squadron touch tip for Bream, plaice and all around general light fishing will land most things paired with a Abu 7000.

I find the above 3 rods and give me almost every possible shot on the day no matter where we end up fishing, from the banks for Large Rays or into the harbour scratching around.

36 minutes ago, Gonorn said:

I have the 20-30 and 30-50 blue super Kenzakis, I love them! I still have the gold Ugly sticks as back ups. I have a new GX2 but find it to soft for deep water fishing in big tides, where as the super Kenzaki has more back bone with a nice tip. I have them matched with Penn Squall 20 and a 30 size with level winds.

I also have a Penn squadron touch tip for Bream, plaice and all around general light fishing will land most things paired with a Abu 7000.

I find the above 3 rods and give me almost every possible shot on the day no matter where we end up fishing, from the banks for Large Rays or into the harbour scratching around.

Welcome to the forum Gonorn! 👍