Hamble river mouth on the tender.

Saintly Fish

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Good work the pair of you! Those Fiiish Black Minnows are killers for bass. Well done 🎣👍

That’s the lure you kindly left on the boat after the OO meet. So you can claim some rights. 

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That is a decent Bass by any standard.

Usually I question the parentage of mullet when I am fishing for them, feckin annoying is an understatement 🤣

Yeah we didn’t catch any. The seagulls and swans put paid to that idea! 

On 8/22/2021 at 10:42 PM, GPSguru said:

That is a decent Bass by any standard.

Usually I question the parentage of mullet when I am fishing for them, feckin annoying is an understatement 🤣

I’ve tried for mullet in Milford Marina, Neyland Marina and Barry Dock but when the little buggers have spat the hook, given me the middle fin all while the rest of them sit around and laugh at me I swore never to try again….

If muller were people they’d be bullies im sure of it…. Cocky little buggers 😡🤣

Edited by Odyssey

I think a lot of issues with mullet come from misidentification.   It's very difficult to tell thick from thins when they are swimming around. It can be done but it ain't easy. 

The two species require very different tactics and aren't normally caught on the wrong tactics.  Thins like a mepps type spinner with a worm bait in close trail, whereas thicks will ignore that in favours of bread, fish flake, maggots etc.  Thins usually ignore those baits. 

I've seen lots of anglers throwing bread in front of thins and it get totally ignored much to their frustration. 

A few pointers to help anyone interested these aren't hard and fast but combined will usually result in a correct ID. 

If you are looking at a Shoal of 5 or more fish swimming round and flashing their sides I'd be starting to think thins. Thick are generally seen in smaller shoals. 

If you can get a good look 2 features on thins to look for, a black spot at the base of the pectoral fin and to me their heads look too long as they have shorter pectorals than thicks, so looks like they have dumpy fins. 

Behaviour is a key,  usually they are thins if you see lots of bow waves in the margins combined with swimming down to the bottom and coming up with mud streaming out of their gills, as previously they do this in shoals.  Not usual behaviour seen in thicks. 

Location, under pontoons, around boat hulls or structure usually thicks, thins tend to spend more time out in the open often in the margins

Just a few pointers that can help get a good ID. 

My favourite though, chuck out some surface flakes 9 out 10 a thick will hit it, thins will ignore it... But not always............ 😂😂😂

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

11 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I think a lot of issues with mullet come from misidentification.   It's very difficult to tell thick from thins when they are swimming around. It can be done but it ain't easy. 

The two species require very different tactics and aren't normally caught on the wrong tactics.  Thins like a mepps type spinner with a worm bait in close trail, whereas thicks will ignore that in favours of bread, fish flake, maggots etc.  Thins usually ignore those baits. 

I've seen lots of anglers throwing bread in front of thins and it get totally ignored much to their frustration. 

A few pointers to help anyone interested these aren't hard and fast but combined will usually result in a correct ID. 

If you are looking at a Shoal of 5 or more fish swimming round and flashing their sides I'd be starting to think thins. Thick are generally seen in smaller shoals. 

If you can get a good look 2 features on thins to look for, a black spot at the base of the pectoral fin and to me their heads look too long as they have shorter pectorals than thicks, so looks like they have dumpy fins. 

Behaviour is a key,  usually they are thins if you see lots of bow waves in the margins combined with swimming down to the bottom and coming up with mud streaming out of their gills, as previously they do this in shoals.  Not usual behaviour seen in thicks. 

Location, under pontoons, around boat hulls or structure usually thicks, thins tend to spend more time out in the open often in the margins

Just a few pointers that can help get a good ID. 

My favourite though, chuck out some surface flakes 9 out 10 a thick will hit it, thins will ignore it... But not always............ 😂😂😂

Top knowledge Scott and thanks for sharing. Very insightful 👍