GPS map2010c antenna issue

I have an antique chart plotter on my boat, I keep losing the gps signal for it. 
Im going to upgrade in the near future but in the meantime I want to sort it out. It receives a signal then drops it. Usually the old fashioned on/off trick sorts it out but it’s getting to be a pain. 
Is it likely to be the mushroom on the roof that’s dying? Do they die? Or is it more likely to be the unit itself. 
Also if the antenna is failing what would a suitable replacement be? Thanks 

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

Is the wire damaged anywhere? Not sure if they use coax or not

I can’t see any damage but it runs through some voids so can’t inspect all of it. 

If there was a cable broken somewhere I think it just wouldn’t work at all, it just cuts out randomly, not when the boat is moving or anything specific. 

26 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

Can you borrow a known working one to check your antenna with?

26 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

Can you borrow a known working one to check your antenna with?

The problem is that the unit is flush mounted overhead and the cables run all over. I have a autopilot computer that it all goes through so it’s not straight forward. 
What I have now done is pipe the NMEA 0183 output from my handheld vhf to the system which seems to be working. For now. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, JonC said:

Is it likely to be the mushroom on the roof that’s dying? Do they die?

Yes, they do die, probably a bit of dampness / water ingress.

Is it Nmea 2000 and plugged into the backbone ?,

if yes than a replacement would be a GPS17 or GPS30 antenna.

To my way of thinking, a single GPS antenna that feeds all the boat electronics is taking a risk as it is a single point of failure. On my boat I have each unit ( 2 x Garmin Echomap 97SV+, AIS800, Icom Radio, Mercury Active Trim) all using their own GPS source, but I also have a GPS17 plugged into the Nmea backbone with acts as a standby source and the AIS is set to automatically switch to it to find the best signal.

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

To my way of thinking, a single GPS antenna that feeds all the boat electronics is taking a risk as it is a single point of failure. On my boat I have each unit ( 2 x Garmin Echomap 97SV+, AIS800, Icom Radio, Mercury Active Trim) all using their own GPS source, but I also have a GPS17 plugged into the Nmea backbone with acts as a standby source and the AIS is set to automatically switch to it to find the best signal.

Is that where your handle originates from? Geoff.:classic_wink:

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

My tech is all old, it runs on nmea0183. Although it’s a fairly medieval set up it’s adequate for what I need and I have navionics as a back up. 
I think the head unit is from around 2005 so probably fitted to the boat from new. 

32 minutes ago, JonC said:

My tech is all old, it runs on nmea0183. Although it’s a fairly medieval set up it’s adequate for what I need and I have navionics as a back up. 
I think the head unit is from around 2005 so probably fitted to the boat from new. 

The Garmin GPS17 antenna is available in both nmea0183 and nmea2000. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JonC said:

@GPSguru

I’m struggling to find a garmin17x in the uk and the ones I’ve seen are all around £150-200. 
Will a generic nmea0183 gps antenna work? There’s loads at about £50 on eBay? 

Yes, it should be OK. It only needs to communicate using 2 of the nmea0183 sentence protocols.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, @GPSguruhere’s your big opportunity to show me how clever you are. 
Ive bought a cheapo gps antenna as the original 17x is now discontinued, it’s wires are

F9C920FC-4EA8-4C14-B09C-A271D73938E6.jpeg.348fe7e9dfd51dc27e7b257671607fd5.jpeg This is obviously totally different to the original gps17x

when I look at the wiring diagram of the 2010c it looks like this 7F40EF8A-0C6C-457A-8B72-FF031C20B133.thumb.jpeg.8ca2471e77c6c6b805c97b53e9078ce9.jpeg

so I’ve connected the new red and black cables to the power and the new green and yellow to the plotter’s green and white (nmea0183 in/out. 
For some reason this is knocking my sonar signal out, what could be causing this? 

0F976235-BBEB-4FE5-A381-A04298842E61.jpeg