Recommend me a hook length.

40/60lb Amnesia and silicon tube or tie the top hook in place

The tied method is ok if you're using the same length/size bait. silicon tube if you're trying various baits

But to be honest, I usually use the same method as you, a few wraps around the top hook shank

After a few trips the line is usually fraying and needs to be replaced anyway

Especially after a couple of Rays or Smoothies

Generally I only fish pennels on hook lengths up to about 40lb. These snoods will generally be memory free like amnesia, blackout, etc. I have never been bitten off at 40lb with Rays, or Hounds.

On heavy hook lengths for Conger (we don't get Tope) I tend to use a larger single hook (10/0).

44 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

This is for a pennel rig for cod, 3-4 large squid. 100lb minimum strength for the teeth, but want a line that won't twist like the photo after 3-4 goes. Large baits need a top hook. 

We use 50lb FC for Cod, and I have never been bitten off.

Sakuma 80lb shock leader round here due to the stupid amount of Eels.  It's quite a supple line so doesn't twist up quite so easy. 

I usually have 15 hook lengths pre tied so if one ends up like that I unclip and use a new one. 

If it gets stupid for Eels (the spoils can be like that) I go over to nylon coated wire which strangely doesn't suffer twisting up so much and means you aren't replacing hook length every cast

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

80lb Sakuma works well…

for me it depends on what’s available on the boat…. However Bristol Channel is so murky it’s maybe less of an issue for us.

I generally use 40lb amnesia or blackout, I don’t catch eels but the hounds and thornback have some nasty gums on them. I tend to change it every 10th trip, even if it doesn’t need it. 

3 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I've never been bitten off by a cod, nor know anyone that has. So it's a mystery

Well @GPSguru reckons a cuttle fish? Even if it was a cuttle I'd still want tougher line to stand a chance of landing the next one. You do know though that cod have teeth? 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well @GPSguru reckons a cuttle fish? Even if it was a cuttle I'd still want tougher line to stand a chance of landing the next one. You do know though that cod have teeth? 

Yep, not too sharp tho, bit like whiting, don't need to be worried about getting your finger ripped while unhooking

36 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Similar teeth to a Pollock, and we catch plenty of doubles on the wrecks with a 25lb FC  snood.

I'm not arguing the fact that their teeth may be small. But something bit me off so I need a strong hook length.