Jump to content

Recommend me a hook length.


 Share

Recommended Posts

After baiting up 5/6 times I find my hook lengths start to look like this after the top hook is wound on 4 times..

AB57471A-316B-4B5C-9789-173364CDF868.jpeg.07d03753d3dbe541d615f3ccaffb7583.jpeg

This is 100lb Rovex line. Its a bit annoying. So what do you guys use ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40/60lb Amnesia and silicon tube or tie the top hook in place

The tied method is ok if you're using the same length/size bait. silicon tube if you're trying various baits

But to be honest, I usually use the same method as you, a few wraps around the top hook shank

After a few trips the line is usually fraying and needs to be replaced anyway

Especially after a couple of Rays or Smoothies

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

80-100lb snood, change after 2-3 trips. By then it’s been munched by hounds/conger/rays it’ll need changing 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generally I only fish pennels on hook lengths up to about 40lb. These snoods will generally be memory free like amnesia, blackout, etc. I have never been bitten off at 40lb with Rays, or Hounds.

On heavy hook lengths for Conger (we don't get Tope) I tend to use a larger single hook (10/0).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is for a pennel rig for cod, 3-4 large squid. 100lb minimum strength for the teeth, but want a line that won't twist like the photo after 3-4 goes. Large baits need a top hook. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

This is for a pennel rig for cod, 3-4 large squid. 100lb minimum strength for the teeth, but want a line that won't twist like the photo after 3-4 goes. Large baits need a top hook. 

We use 50lb FC for Cod, and I have never been bitten off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

That coulod be your blanks right there

Well seeing as my 40lb amnesia trace was bitten off last Friday, it's obviously not tough enough. So stronger it has to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sakuma 80lb shock leader round here due to the stupid amount of Eels.  It's quite a supple line so doesn't twist up quite so easy. 

I usually have 15 hook lengths pre tied so if one ends up like that I unclip and use a new one. 

If it gets stupid for Eels (the spoils can be like that) I go over to nylon coated wire which strangely doesn't suffer twisting up so much and means you aren't replacing hook length every cast

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

80lb Sakuma works well…

for me it depends on what’s available on the boat…. However Bristol Channel is so murky it’s maybe less of an issue for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

80lb Sakuma works well…

for me it depends on what’s available on the boat…. However Bristol Channel is so murky it’s maybe less of an issue for us.

I generally use 40lb amnesia or blackout, I don’t catch eels but the hounds and thornback have some nasty gums on them. I tend to change it every 10th trip, even if it doesn’t need it. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well seeing as my 40lb amnesia trace was bitten off last Friday, it's obviously not tough enough. So stronger it has to be. 

Guess it was one of them sea snakes then, not a cod

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No definitely not a snake. The fight was too lazy. 

I've never been bitten off by a cod, nor know anyone that has. So it's a mystery

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I've never been bitten off by a cod, nor know anyone that has. So it's a mystery

 

Well @GPSguru reckons a cuttle fish? Even if it was a cuttle I'd still want tougher line to stand a chance of landing the next one. You do know though that cod have teeth? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well @GPSguru reckons a cuttle fish? Even if it was a cuttle I'd still want tougher line to stand a chance of landing the next one. You do know though that cod have teeth? 

Yep, not too sharp tho, bit like whiting, don't need to be worried about getting your finger ripped while unhooking

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Yep, not too sharp tho, bit like whiting, don't need to be worried about getting your finger ripped while unhooking

 

Sharp enough for my soft hands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sharp enough for my soft hands. 

That's just the fairy in you. Geoff.:classic_wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

You do know though that cod have teeth? 

Similar teeth to a Pollock, and we catch plenty of doubles on the wrecks with a 25lb FC  snood.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Similar teeth to a Pollock, and we catch plenty of doubles on the wrecks with a 25lb FC  snood.

 

I'm not arguing the fact that their teeth may be small. But something bit me off so I need a strong hook length. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...