Hydrogen power

Does for me.....

Yeah, I read about that system or something similar a while back. Honda were doing another clever one. All going away from the internal combustion engine whih can also run on hydrogen.

I'm not entirely sure what the facination is with electric power, it's nowhere near as green as they make out, and as a motive power, they are nowhere near up to spec yet. I guess when they can race against F1 cars and compete on equal terms, then we are ready. Until then, I want to be hearing the whistle of turbos, the whine of superchargers, and the exhaust note of a well set up motor being ragged.....

Wonder what happened to the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine Neil) that used a hydrogen generator to run, you know, the one that the oil companies bought up??.......

13 hours ago, mick said:

why does it have to use batteries and an electric motor (heavy) stick with standard outboard ,they can run on hydrogen.

Not so sure they are so heavy. Ive been in several electric vehicles and have an electric motor on my boat that runs all day on an 11.5kg lithium battery trolling and holding position in the current ect. I would of thought the weight saving in outboard and fuel compared to lithium batteries would equal each other out, also a bit of weight in a boat improves its ride, you don't want them to light bobbing about like a cork. Most people will only travel 50-80k offshore here before dropping down to low speed or drifting. It would be rare to run any recreational fishing boat at full power all day and a few panels on the roof should help top things up for free. Leave the boat parked in the sun when not being used to allow the batteries to fill back for free, cant wait for that!!!

Im hoping my next 4x4 will be an electric one given how much free sun we get over here. https://unsealed4x4.com.au/the-electric-4x4s-available-now-and-coming-soon/

The 4x4 I have now also has a lithium battery that will power my fridge freezer, 2400 lumen of led lights and power various chargers and computers via the pure sign wave inverter indefinitely unless I park undercover for more than 4 days. I consume around of 24amps per 24hr. My lithium battery has 100amps of total usable power and my single solar panel produces 11.5 amps per hour in the sun. I also have a second fold out solar panel to speed up my charge if needed. My car has a small dcdc charger that can pull 25 amps from the alternator when traveling to put back into the battery and also uses the green solar power as priority. I could use a bigger charger but it's simply not needed. My battery can be charged at up to 200amps if I upgrade my alternator, or increase solar panels but there's simply no need as my outfit is normally charged fully from the sun in around 2hrs. 

Edited by JDP

i think battery power has a long way to go. including the life of the battery,

i don't know the coast of a battery ( new type)  in fact i don't know much about  any of the new dears for engines or fuel a lot of speculation but if it works  why are we not seeing on sail,a\adverts ect.

9 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

i don't know the coast of a battery ( new type)  in fact i don't know much about  any of the new dears for engines or fuel a lot of speculation but if it works  why are we not seeing on sail,a\adverts ect.

Technology like this needs time to refine and make wholly usable to the wide market. R&D must thrash out all stumbling blocks before a mass roll out. 

9 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

well if they ban fuel (pet &derv ) we all be fishing on sailing boats at 5 to 10 knots then  😆

This won't happen. Not in the next 20-30 years anyway. You can't just suddenly ban petrol and diesel. 
Phase out slowly yeah, but will take a generation or two. 

41 minutes ago, JonC said:

There isn’t even talk of phasing out diesel trucks yet, I tried to buy an electric one but there still aren’t viable. 

Neither are cars unless you want a daily runabout for shopping locally etc

There was an engine that effectively ran on water. What it did was use electricty to split the water to generate hydrogen. The hydrogen was combusted in much the normal way and the only emission is water. I heard the idea was bought up by the oil companies and buried, after all, there is no control over water. Now needing pressurised hydrogen keeps them in work, supplying hydrogen that can be charged for and taxed accordingly

4 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

Lithium is leaping ahead these days and far cheaper long term than deep cycle lead batteries. My 4x4 had a deep cycle top of the line house battery installed ahead of a big trip up north a few years ago. After the first week the battery wasn't able to hold a charge to keep the fridge running overnight. The battery was replaced under warranty but the replacement soon had the same problem which was apparently due to the heat under the engine bay combined with the 38'c-45'c day temps in the Northern Territory and also the fact the fridge was drawing more than 50% of the power from the battery. Ive since found people going through numerous agm deep cycle batteries for the same reason on different 4x4 forums out here.

The main component cobalt in lithium batteries is mined over here, to the point I believe mining has been pulled back as we produce to much of it. There are plenty of lithium batteries on the market that like anything are poorly made Chinese junk, as well as well made Chinese batteries. The hard part is finding a well made battery that can handle all the demands we put on them. The BMS is a major cost to lithium batteries, which is where many of the cheap ones are saving the $$$ and ending in failure.

These DCS batteries seem to of been going a while with great reviews from the 4x4 and caravan travellers. Ive got these for two vehicles and for the electric motor on the boat. The initial price is higher than deep cycle lead batteries but a full replacement 4 yr warranty instantly puts them bellow what a lead battery would cost to replace over 4 yrs. I know lead batteries can last well but not if they are being used constantly to draw 50% of their energy daily. If they are only used drawing 20% for instance they will last longer. 

These same batteries Im using have a 10yr warranty on home off grid application, which doesn't mean they suddenly stop at 10yrs but are expected to last well past that period. 

Lithium is not expensive.

Whilst I too think that H may be the answer, we should remember that H is extremely explosive and storage dangerous and expensive. Electric powered vehicles of today are not a realistic replacement for petrol/oil burning engines due to the amount of electricity that would be required to keep our long distance journeys viable. We do not yet have the infrastructure to go all electric and I do not see how we could generate and distribute enough electricity to satisfy demands. Look what happened when we were a couple of thousand hgv drivers short. If all vehicles were electric our countryside would be ravaged by diggers (diesel powered) digging thousands of miles of trenches to carry the massive conductors that would be needed even if we could generate such a supply. Geoff.

Diesel Hybrid is the best in my opinion, as batteries get better you can go electric round town and hybrid on longer trips.

petrol hybrids are not economical enough, our 1.5 tdci c-max does more to the gallon than our hybrid yaris did.

unless every parking space has a charger how will you charge your car, especially if you live in a block of flats or terraced house .

at the moment batteries are too heavy and expensive , as they get better and cheaper then all electric might work.