Just returned from Wales

Geoff

I have just returned from a trip to south Wales where I bought a used pop top roof for my old vw t5. I fitted a tow bar as I intended to take our Smart car trailer to collect the roof. I started to dismantle the ramp from the rear of the trailer when I had  sudden thought - Where will this pop top end up - on the roof of course. I rushed out to buy a few 25mm ratchet straps and traveled down Tuesday. Spent the night at Newports caravan club site and turned up at the campervan converters Thurs. AM. When I told the lads of my plan for carrying the roof they lifted it onto my roof and we used 3 straps (not eels) around the roof, through the car doors and ratcheted the roof down firmly. One of the bosses said that in all of his years in the industry he had never seen that done before. We did have a small problem - whilst the weather was dry everything was great, yesterday evening the heavens opened. We stopped at a campsite (Wythall) to discover that the straps had closed up the door seals and we had rain coming in - very sad. Luckily Joyce had a packet of micro fibre cloths on board so I rolled them up into a bit of a sausage shape and fed each one into the gap behind the strap and  laid along the seal, slammed the doors shut taking great care not to include any fingers into the mix and almost stopped the leaks.The towbar was bought to fit to the bus so that we could  - wait for it - our boat!!! Although she is now ready to launch I think it will probably be in the new year now as I have a big hole to cut in my van roof. Too many projects - not enough time! :classic_wink: Geoff.

9 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Good example to all I'd say. OAP's or not!

9 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

You certainly don't sit still for long do you @Geoff. Fair play to you for having such energy and enthusiasm. 
Your'e a good example to all oap's!! 

Thanks Neil. OAP's? - "SENIORS" please! (senior - elder, higher in standing - Chambers concise 20th century dictionary). Geoff.:classic_wink:

13 hours ago, Andy135 said:

🤣 well done Fishy. I had the same idea but didn't post so as to spare Geoff's blushes 😆

I do not blush Andy - a lot of blushing turns  your hair Ginger!:classic_wink: Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

2 hours ago, JonC said:

I am a little confused over the post. @Geoff do you mean blushing turns ones hair ginger colour (adjective) or that it turns ones name to Ginger?

You figure it out Jon. Geoff.☺️

You should of said you were coming 🙂 Could of popped over. Not far from Newport 

Got any pictures of your van? 🙂 it’s on the list at the moment…. I’ve found with my boat in Milford it’s fantastic in summer but autumn not so. A potential change of job means a change of car as well and a T5 is right up there on the list! 

We camped at Tregedar (probably wrong spelling) Park camp site. Mine is an old high mileage (2005) t5 LWB shuttle, only a 1.9, but it drives quite nicely and we are very pleased with it so far. I have carried out a very quick and simple conversion which works very well for us and we have now spent about 6 nights camping in it with a trip to Plymouth a couple of weeks ago as well as our trip to Wales. Our conversion is a bit different to most VW layouts as we do need frequent nocturnal visits to the loo (too much information) so I have made a cubicle and installed a cassette toilet. I might post a couple of pics later after I have fitted the pop top. Geoff.☺️

Tredegar is about 5 miles from me 🙂 you picked some of the worst weather! 

I love a good VW 🙂 Transits are good too, just finding the right one without a Covid tax! 

53 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Tredegar is about 5 miles from me 🙂 you picked some of the worst weather! 

I love a good VW 🙂 Transits are good too, just finding the right one without a Covid tax! 

I had my wedding reception meal thing there, the house not the camp site

30 yrs ago next June 😲

i've got a T4 - no pop top though - would love one at some point - 

the T4 is a lovely van but its old and getting a bit rusty - bought for £5k 3 yrs ago - ive now spent almost the same again 😞 £2.2k for a new engine and £1k worth of welding for MOT - and the arches need doing........

Would love a T6.1 as my only vehicle. 

22 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I had my wedding reception meal thing there, the house not the camp site

30 yrs ago next June 😲

Congatulations. June was is a great month for weddings- that is the month when all the best people Marry. 30 years is great - well done, but it does get easier after 50 years. We have been married 56 years now, but sadly I seem unable to teach Joyce to do as she is told!!! I sometimes wonder if she may be related to Fishy? Geoff. ☺️