Which braid ?

What 8 strand braid are people using

I have some cheap 30lb stuff on my wrecking reel (which does the job) and put some 18lb J braid on the lighter gear (Plaice, Bream etc)

IIRC the J braid was around £30-35 for 300M

Is there any other 18lb, 8 strand I can look at ?

I asked for feedback on some cheepo ( all I can afford) zebco stuff a few days ago. 
In the name of science I did a pull test on it, fixed to a wall tie with me pulling on it with a set of scales (not calibrated before Neil starts). 
Surprisingly the 46lb braid was snapping at under 20lb on the scales. 
When I was setting the drag on my reel it was fine with about 30lb against it, as you would expect. 

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I have some cheap 30lb stuff on my wrecking reel (which does the job) and put some 18lb J braid on the lighter gear (Plaice, Bream etc)

I use Spectra braid from ebay. Many years ago a good friend in the ‘line’ trade told me it came from the same factory as shimano power pro. To be fair the colour, feel, and other properties seem identical to power pro and I have now been using Spectra for years with no issues at all.

I use 28lb on the wrecking and downtide rods, 20lb on the SPJ rods. I was using YGK jigmaster on the SPJ rods, but my supply has dried up, so now changed over to Spectra.

16 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I also use J-Braid x8. It's the only braid I really use, in the multi-colour variant with 1m depth markings. Yes, it's a bit more expensive to buy but it lasts and lasts.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:09 AM, mike farrants said:

Let’s hope not - I’m meant to be wrecking that weekend too!!
Who you out with Jonny?

Jamie pullen on offshore rebel, had a few trips with him and seems a decent, knowledgeable fella

Not afraid to move about looking for the fish

57 minutes ago, Sevans said:

a few years ago I researched alot of the braids on the market ready for a skate fishing trip.

as we were to be fishing in over 400ft of water line diameter makes a massive difference and will also dictate how much lead you will need to hold bottom

the spectre was cheap and plenty strong enough but it was like rope compared to some of the more expensive brands.

After looking at around 10 different braids, whiplash came out on top for breaking strain to diameter and spiderwire was a close second.

I opted for whiplash and have used it almost exclusively since, only using spiderwire if the tackleshop was out of stock in the breaking strains I required.

hope that helps

Stuart

a skate landed on 50lb whiplash in 450ft of water 

received_387825092153751.thumb.jpeg.f7c10e1156889b498ae2f1c06f4d39fb.jpeg

That is a cracking fish! Well done 👍

Ive been very happy with suffix 131 and have yet to change any of it from the reels Ive been using it on in the past 2 1/2 years. It seems expensive but given I would only get 3-6 months before replacing power prop or J braid its now become cheaper long term than those. The best thing is with this 13 strand line is the pleasure in using the stuff, its silky smooth and gives me confidence its not at the end of its life and about to break like I always felt with those other popular braids. I believe there are some new equally good and slightly cheaper Japanese braids out now, so when this does eventually need replacing I will give one a try. Shimano ocea 8 has been going strong for about 4 years on one of my heavy tackle outfits and handled tuna and marlin without fault.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:13 AM, suzook12 said:

I've still got the same braid on one of mine from 15 or so years ago!!

Are you targeting fish under its rating or above ? example 10lb braid on fish way bigger or something like 50lb braid on fish of 5-10lb. Would you feel confident using that old braid on fish 3 or more times the line class, with drags set close to its rating.

20 hours ago, JDP said:

Are you targeting fish under its rating or above ? example 10lb braid on fish way bigger or something like 50lb braid on fish of 5-10lb. Would you feel confident using that old braid on fish 3 or more times the line class, with drags set close to its rating.

Mostly well under Jon, although I do use it for tope as well which run to 50lb or so round these parts. Having an upbringing of landing double figure carp on 2lb hooklengths probably helps......

I stripped it back a couple of years or so ago, about 100 yds, maybe more, till got back to clean white stuff. Maybe will change it before the summer for some fresh, lighter braid

• 3 weeks later...