New season's resolutions?

Andy135

This year I've set myself the target of finding a new/virgin plaice mark, catching a pollock from my local waters (they're thin on the ground round here), and actually getting out shark fishing (all the gear, no idea...).

What are your new season's resolutions?

10 hours ago, Andy135 said:

This year I've set myself the target of finding a new/virgin plaice mark, catching a pollock from my local waters (they're thin on the ground round here), and actually getting out shark fishing (all the gear, no idea...).

What are your new season's resolutions?

Don't forget to smack a fish in the face with a spear with those resolutions🙃

When you say virgin place, do you mean a new place to you or a secret spot nobody fishes ? Do you use reveal charts or G3 vision charts ? If so there are very few virgin secrets left beneath the surface these days. 

Do you ever fish shallow fast tidal run areas where you can burley and allow baits to drift almost unweighted back in the tide with the burley at all. I found this worked very well around the Island. When you start seeing how good the shallow water fishing is when you get into the spearing you might find it opens up a whole new way to target fish on rod and line. The shallow water species I used to see around St Catherines and Chale were pretty amazing. It was because of diving that I shortened my shore casting distance.

My own goal is to get my boat on the water!!!!...its been over 3 months now, every time I go to use it I get the offer of going on other boats. Being a tight arse Pom, I do prefer using other peoples fuel rather than burn my own😁

Edited by JDP

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Plaice and a few other flats, double figure cod and pollock from the kayak, and a tope but not from the kayak. I have seen my friend's video of trying to land a 40lb fish and he came out second best but fortunately no claret.

Just gotta love tope, all attitude and teeth

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Plaice and a few other flats, double figure cod and pollock from the kayak, and a tope but not from the kayak. I have seen my friend's video of trying to land a 40lb fish and he came out second best but fortunately no claret.

Double figure cod?! I can only dream... 😭

11 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Double figure cod?! I can only dream... 😭

I empathise, there are a few about and hopefully in May or June they will have recovered from spawning and packed on some weight. 

A friend has also reminded me that we are also going to see if we can get a Northumbrian LSD 😁

On 3/13/2022 at 6:38 PM, jonnyswamp said:

A decent fish on my spj set up, I'm out of Brixham  tomorrow and tides are small so.......

Not much to report, a poor trip with some anglers not getting anything worth taking home

I ended the day with 4 Pollock, 2 around 3-4lb, 1 that was 7 maybe 8lb and one around 10-12lb all on a blue and white 6" sidewinder (plus a dozen or more Pout)

Tried the spj kit for an hour or so and only picked up a small Whiting, though there were some good 3 and 4lbers came up on baited feathers/muppets over slack

Don't know the final tally, but only around 15 Pollock I believe

Quite a few of the wrecks we visited were netted, the drawback of small tides I suppose

Not the first time, but certainly no expert, more an enthusiastic learner

I switched to spj on slack water and for about an hour or so after, there wasn't much coming up apart from pout and whiting on bait at that time

When the tide picked up I went back to lures 

Probably a combination of technique, type of lure, no tide and lack of fish

On 3/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, jonnyswamp said:

Tried the spj kit for an hour or so and only picked up a small Whiting, though there were some good 3 and 4lbers came up on baited feathers/muppets over slack

Just sounds like a confidence issue, I was the same back in 2015/16.

If I had been on the boat with you, I would have fished SPJ right through, and I can pretty much guarantee that my jig would be Blue Silver, or Blue pink (Blue white jigs are hard to come by)

On 3/16/2022 at 10:18 PM, GPSguru said:

Just sounds like a confidence issue, I was the same back in 2015/16.

If I had been on the boat with you, I would have fished SPJ right through, and I can pretty much guarantee that my jig would be Blue Silver, or Blue pink (Blue white jigs are hard to come by)

Yes I agree, I should've stayed on spj all day and persevered given the small tide

10 hours ago, Ivan Tuna said:

A very big fat Cod or 2. Infant I’ve just bought a 110l Yeti that I plan to fill with Cod 🤠. Then its a PB Ling, Haddock, Coalfish - no pressure on this Shetlands trip 😂

Go big or go home eh? 😁👍