Flushing

JDP

This is the outboard dealer just up the road from me. A fella thought he was onto a good deal when he recently bought this little boat with just 60hrs on the engine. Said it before I would rather buy an outboard that's been used regularly even with very high hours over ones that sit around for years with salt left in the cooling system. I know there are those who don't flush and will argue its not needed but the proof is in the pudding. Ive had a 2014 suzuki that was pretty bad like this, which had had the anodes changed three times in its 240hr life but was totally blocked throughout the cooling chambers and no anodes left apart from the top of the bolts. Not sure if you guys will be able to open it as its on the their Facebook page as a video.

https://www.facebook.com/Batemans-Bay-Power-and-Sail-349326758505348/

That head was repairable tho, just need to find the right place and be prepared to wait..... Might cost similar too mind.

Expensive lesson that, thats where a sea trial would have come in.....

My lesson to the introduction of boats was transom checks and other woodwork....

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

That head was repairable tho, just need to find the right place and be prepared to wait..... Might cost similar too mind.

Expensive lesson that, thats where a sea trial would have come in.....

My lesson to the introduction of boats was transom checks and other woodwork....

Rotten transom and stringers is another hard to find thing when buying. Ive had boats that seem rock solid but when you drill a hole for a transducer and find black wet wood and water trickling out you know you have a mighty bill ahead. Makes you appreciate the simple life of beach fishing!!!!

Ouch….

Any tips on how to flush on a pontoon? 😬😬😬😬

when I was in Cardiff it’s ok as engine is hot and it’s freshwater in the bay so gets a good clean. But in Milford it’s salt water marina… 

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Ouch….

Any tips on how to flush on a pontoon? 😬😬😬😬

when I was in Cardiff it’s ok as engine is hot and it’s freshwater in the bay so gets a good clean. But in Milford it’s salt water marina… 

Do your engines not have a hose lock type connection point for flushing??

My Suzuki and Mercury engines both did. You just don't run the engine whilst doing it. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Do your engines not have a hose lock type connection point for flushing??

My Suzuki and Mercury engines both did. You just don't run the engine whilst doing it. 

I don’t know…. Nothing obvious that I can see… now it’s 12 months down there I’ll do some looking. 

17 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Turns out I’m already doing it 🤣🤣

I do this a few times a summer season…

Well I'd have been surprised if a smart cookie like you didn't know how to flush his own expensive outboards. 
I used to do mine religiously after every trip. Even if going out the next day. It only takes 10 minutes so what's the point in not doing it? 

Just remember with those engine flush connections where the engine is flushed without run ing the engine that these don't do a full flush on most engines and you can't use these with the engine running either with most makes of outboard. 
To flush the full cooling system the engine has to warm to a certain temperature before the thermostat opens to allow water to pump through the entire cooling system.
There are flushing systems for both petrol and diesel engines where the boats can be flushed with the likes of salt-away without the need for freshwater connecting.

44 minutes ago, MegaByte said:

I spoke to Suzuki and they told me that using the flushing port for 10 minutes flushes the entire system as there is a small bypass so the head gets flushed even when the thermostat is closed.

Same here, I was told the same by the mechanic who serviced mine. Same with the Mercury. 

#afewtumanysames

48 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Same here, I was told the same by the mechanic who serviced mine. Same with the Mercury. 

#afewtumanysames

Maybe they would say that, otherwise they would be admitting that their design was poorly thought out.

16 hours ago, MegaByte said:

I spoke to Suzuki and they told me that using the flushing port for 10 minutes flushes the entire system as there is a small bypass so the head gets flushed even when the thermostat is closed.

The 140 suzuki I had which had been flushed off the flushing port was totally blocked in the cooling chamber which was because of not flushing using the muffs with the engine running according to the suzuki mechanic I used. Maybe they have changed with newer models but as far I was aware it was only newer mercury engines that did this.  Ive had three Suzukis now on used boats Ive ownedt but wouldn't choose one to put on a boat from new.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, JonC said:

Not a cynic, I’m just used to hearing fibs 

I was told by the Mercury UK (Barrus), only to use the flushing port as a last resort !

Flushing with muffs was the much preferred option, and mine is flushed for 5 mins after each trip.

2 hours ago, mick said:

as our Rib is kept on a trailer we flush and use salt-away after every trip,

have done same on all our engines .

Ever had any corrosion issues ? Ive only had issues from engines not flushed with it, also keeps the trailer in good condition.