Importing gear

Odyssey

Hi all

has anyone got any experience of importing gear from the USA or Australia? I’m not sure on where to find the rates of import duty, as I suspect I’ll need to pay this and VAT if not VAT registered….

Im after some rod blanks whixh are not via the normal tackle shops, aim to get them built by a local rod builder 

I've ordered stuff from the US but via a retailer that sends to the UK - Tackle Direct. I had to pay import duty and handling fees at the point of order, but then it all arrived fine, just like any other online order.

Cost-wise it works out about the same, certainly not cheaper than anything we can get in the UK, so I'd only do it again for stuff we can't get over here.

No experience of doing the import declaration and VAT/duty payments directly though.

47 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I've ordered stuff from the US but via a retailer that sends to the UK - Tackle Direct. I had to pay import duty and handling fees at the point of order, but then it all arrived fine, just like any other online order.

Cost-wise it works out about the same, certainly not cheaper than anything we can get in the UK, so I'd only do it again for stuff we can't get over here.

No experience of doing the import declaration and VAT/duty payments directly though.

I’ll have a look… I’m after a set of American tackle blanks but they I don’t think there is a U.K. supplier outside of niche suppliers…. May need to go to them but long leadtimes and with 4-5 rods to build not offering much bulk discount….

Ive sold fishing gear to people in the UK who have been hit with all the import and handling fee's on secondhand gear. However when ever Ive sent parcels of Xmas presents there's never been any issues with duties, similar value items.
Ive heard of people getting around it by having repairs written on the documents, not sure if this is still able to be done.

What would happen if a UK angler went overseas and forgot a bag of gear (reals and lures etc) and got the hotel management to send the parcel. If a value was placed on the documents the owner would get hit import duties on what he already owned and purchased in the UK.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, Odyssey said:

Hi all

has anyone got any experience of importing gear from the USA or Australia? I’m not sure on where to find the rates of import duty, as I suspect I’ll need to pay this and VAT if not VAT registered….

Im after some rod blanks whixh are not via the normal tackle shops, aim to get them built by a local rod builder 

If you can get them to tick the 'Gift' box on the customs certificate (CN22A) and to declare the value as £250 or less, then there will be no VAT or import duties, however, many businesses will not do this as the penalties for a false customs declaration are very severe.

Another alternative is for a friend in the country of origin to buy the gear for you and then send it to the UK as a gift. That has worked for me in the past, but you need to have friends or relatives in the country of origin. I have used that method for gear from both Oz and the USA.

2 hours ago, JonC said:

I would like to use this moment as an opportunity to clarify the fact that the senior leadership team does not encourage or endorse tax fraud in any way and that we would never do anything like that. 

your hallow is slipping

3 hours ago, JonC said:

I would like to use this moment as an opportunity to clarify the fact that the senior leadership team encourages tax fraud and any other way that we can reduce the price of tackle. 

FTFY Jon.

I think what Geoff meant to say was.....

The SLT hereby form a legal binding contract with it's membership subject to terms and conditions.

• Should any body be brought to the UK justice system through the body known as "Customs and Excise" or "HMRC", hereby further refferred to as the "Taxman", the SLT shall provide full legal and financial backing
  • Should any goods be seized by the "taxman" during any investigation, the SLT shall, within 30 days replace any losses like for like, at their expense
  • Once any goods have been replaced by the SLT and full import and VAT duties have been paid for by themselves (the SLT), no further legal recourse involving said goods will be entered in to.
  • All members must show that any action taken was in direct accordance with SLT advice given
  • This policy will only apply to members of the group known as "offshore outlaws", and membership must be valid at the time of purchase, this does not apply however, to members of the inner group known hereby as the SLT
  • The SLT will honour this contract to any member that was a member at time of purchase, but subsequently ejected from the membership within up to 60 days of date of purchase.
  • Should any incarceration be applied by the UK judicial system, the SLT will provide servants to perform any prescribed period of incarceration in place of any member

The affected members must notify the SLT within 7 days of notification of potential problems or billing by the "taxman"

To notify the SLT please write to us at the head office address:

Lord 135 OBE, MBE, OAP

Outlaw House

Dogsthorpe

County Offshore ( Formally known as Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Sussex, Dorset Devon and Cornwall)

OO1 6JG

7 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I think what Geoff meant to say was.....

The SLT hereby form a legal binding contract with it's membership subject to terms and conditions.

• Should any body be brought to the UK justice system through the body known as "Customs and Excise" or "HMRC", hereby further refferred to as the "Taxman", the SLT shall provide full legal and financial backing
  • Should any goods be seized by the "taxman" during any investigation, the SLT shall, within 30 days replace any losses like for like, at their expense
  • Once any goods have been replaced by the SLT and full import and VAT duties have been paid for by themselves (the SLT), no further legal recourse involving said goods will be entered in to.
  • All members must show that any action taken was in direct accordance with SLT advice given
  • This policy will only apply to members of the group known as "offshore outlaws", and membership must be valid at the time of purchase, this does not apply however, to members of the inner group known hereby as the SLT
  • The SLT will honour this contract to any member that was a member at time of purchase, but subsequently ejected from the membership within up to 60 days of date of purchase.
  • Should any incarceration be applied by the UK judicial system, the SLT will provide servants to perform any prescribed period of incarceration in place of any member

The affected members must notify the SLT within 7 days of notification of potential problems or billing by the "taxman"

To notify the SLT please write to us at the head office address:

Lord 135 OBE, MBE, OAP

Outlaw House

Dogsthorpe

County Offshore ( Formally known as Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Sussex, Dorset Devon and Cornwall)

OO1 6JG

Ive just handed in my resignation!!