Solo Friday.

Saintly Fish

So I've been watching the weather all week and a NE breeze was forecast for today. Stronger than earlier in the week but at 12-24mph it was still doable on the Solent. I was expecting fog for the first couple of hours, but there was none.

E230B68A-6838-40C6-B3EB-73E94BC46764.jpeg.0e527404593fc6bd718f052f775a6154.jpeg

My chosen mark was only a 20 min steam so anchor was down by 9am. Low water was 11.30am. Plan was to fish down, over slack then 2 hrs up. Cod was hopeful as two decent ones had been caught at the same numbers on Wednesday. 
No cod showed, no bass, no pout, no whiting and no doggies appeared. 
Just a constant supply of strap conger. For those that have never seen one, here are some pics to show you just how different they can look....

77D40333-2B2F-4E34-BA80-7D41CCA6C930.jpeg.a7101be063e194cfd044dcb048fae859.jpeg

0E2CE94C-B8D6-428C-8E0E-864BD60719FE.jpeg.189f80f4322541013712883d6dcc0c13.jpeg

D43DEABA-9EEA-476A-8937-CF64CC0CD93A.jpeg.450b72c7a31b67af4669eed588d1adbc.jpeg

A3BF0C1B-8ED2-45FB-A329-5544E8D8F919.jpeg.053f2993c68eb77abc3ea2066e35739a.jpeg

I had a misfortunate moment (like @GPSguru), I'm mentioning in now to save @JonC the effort. After launching my uptide rod and setting it in the holder, I paid attention to a down tide rod. 10 mins later looked at the reel on the uptide rod and realised I'd made a boo-boo. 

8189F360-4E51-4EF5-8DDD-D3C9C6075526.jpeg.96158ef392e545f5ba241d3593cdec0c.jpeg

Yep, I left the clutch off and 3-400 yards of 20lb night crystal unwound itself. So I built up a sweat reeling it all back in. After the effort, there was a fish on atleast. Can you guess what it was..?? No..?? 
Ok I'll tell you.... a strap conger 🙄

514A7C67-48A8-4171-A0D0-F81B81AE5C6E.jpeg.eafa1b02eae19bb90cd98fc28b56df8e.jpeg

Then the wind picked up power and with a wind over tide situation the swell started to build, I sat it out for a couple more hours. Then at 2.15pm I decided to cautiously go upfront and bring in the anchor and go home. 

THE END.

72F43F16-ED0F-4D25-8F21-2E884DA31B38.jpeg

F5DF7029-8830-47D5-A61A-C4CE5CE9B8C8.jpeg

Nice pictures. I like pictures. I think it’s unfair to mention @GPSguru’s senior moments though. 
Shame Leo hasn’t mastered the are of forging sick notes yet or he could have gone two. Somehow he needs to get his phone number on the school’s contact list so he can text in sick to go with you. 

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

Nice pictures. I like pictures. I think it’s unfair to mention @GPSguru’s senior moments though. 
Shame Leo hasn’t mastered the are of forging sick notes yet or he could have gone two. Somehow he needs to get his phone number on the school’s contact list so he can text in sick to go with you. 

Maybe in the future it's something I'll mention to him. 
But today, he wouldn't have swapped school for fishing!! 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

After launching my uptide rod and setting it in the holder, I paid attention to a down tide rod. 10 mins later looked at the reel on the uptide rod and realised I'd made a boo-boo. 

Oh yes, I have done that a few times over the years, usually when fishing the skerries, as we fish with a light drag in case a big Blond or a Turbo grabs the bait.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

But today, he wouldn't have swapped school for fishing!! 

Why, was he getting to shag Mary in the school play ? If it was one of @JonC‘s boys then he would have probably got the part of Mary (like father like son and all that)🤣🤣🤣

Edited by GPSguru

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Oh yes, I have done that a few times over the years, usually when fishing the skerries, as we fish with a light drag in case a big Blond or a Turbo grabs the bait.

Why, was he getting to shag Mary in the school play ? If it was one of @JonC‘s boys then he would have probably got the part of Mary (like father like son and all that)🤣🤣🤣

Shag Mary?? Really Ian, he's 11 ffs!!!

Shame on you!

No, he's sorted out a bully who's been giving him grief. Name calling and taunting etc... Because Leo rocks his own style, he is called mop head and Lego head. Today it got physical and Leo had had enough. 

35 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No, he's sorted out a bully who's been giving him grief. Name calling and taunting etc... Because Leo rocks his own style, he is called mop head and Lego head. Today it got physical and Leo had had enough. 

Excellent Neil, tell him from me ‘well done bro’

My boy is a ginge, and had similar problems, until he ‘lost it’ one evening in the town and put a local hard case through a shop window. He never had any issues after that, even the plod smiled and walked away.

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Excellent Neil, tell him from me ‘well done bro’

My boy is a ginge, and had similar problems, until he ‘lost it’ one evening in the town and put a local hard case through a shop window. He never had any issues after that, even the plod smiled and walked away.

Yeah Leo's teachers praised him for his control, by that they mean he did what he had to, and no more. Left the other kid in tears!!

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Shag Mary?? Really Ian, he's 11 ffs!!!

Shame on you!

I've been warming Thomas up for exactly the same when he goes up to Secondary next year.

Good work Leo 👍. Stick it to him 👊

PS: Thomas and I are looking forward to handing you and your dad your butts on Fortnite in Jan 😉👍🤣

If it’s any consolation I one stick my shore rods on a roof rack of my car with reel attached. Only I had left the reel In free spool so whole thing emptied itself on the A48 (main road through Cardiff) so I had to reel it all back in again…. 

44 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

If it’s any consolation I one stick my shore rods on a roof rack of my car with reel attached. Only I had left the reel In free spool so whole thing emptied itself on the A48 (main road through Cardiff) so I had to reel it all back in again…. 

Surprised that that survived. You'd have thought another car would have got wrapped in it and snapped the line off.

22 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yeah Leo's teachers praised him for his control, by that they mean he did what he had to, and no more. Left the other kid in tears!!

on a similar note, my daughter (who is now 30) punched a kid in the face when she was 11 and left him in tears 😅 

he was bullying her and I'd always said to my kids that you have to stick up for yourself. I did actually say to her, 'if a boy bullies you then just punch him straight in the face, he'll soon stop'.... so she did and it worked 🙂

8 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

on a similar note, my daughter (who is now 30) punched a kid in the face when she was 11 and left him in tears 😅 

he was bullying her and I'd always said to my kids that you have to stick up for yourself. I did actually say to her, 'if a boy bullies you then just punch him straight in the face, he'll soon stop'.... so she did and it worked 🙂

Yeah bullying is no fun when the victim fights back. Soon loses its appeal. 

16 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Surprised that that survived. You'd have thought another car would have got wrapped in it and snapped the line off.

I was suprised too…. Not as suprised by the copper who pulled in behind me and asked why was I fishing on the A48, I should try Cardiff foreshore instead and gave some directions as he was also a fisherman and found it rather entertaining…. 

Can’t remember if I caught any fish that day mind as was loooooong time ago

On 12/2/2022 at 8:19 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Well done Leo, knowing when to stop is the right thing. At school being short and stout (a bit fat?), at first I had a bit of name calling etc. All new entrants were required to enter a boxing tournament. I won my weight class and joined the school boxing team. That was the end of what would today be called bullying. Geoff.

22 hours ago, Geoff said:

Well done Leo, knowing when to stop is the right thing. At school being short and stout (a bit fat?), at first I had a bit of name calling etc. All new entrants were required to enter a boxing tournament. I won my weight class and joined the school boxing team. That was the end of what would today be called bullying. Geoff.

We just used to get thrown on the rugby pitch…. As a taller chubby kid I got picked on by thr smaller kids…. But all was fair when playing rugby