Ling in the Solent approaches?

Andy135

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Anyone ever had a ling from east or west Wight areas? I've never caught one and I'm keen to fix that, but I've not heard of them being caught round this way. Any ideas?

@Maverick may be able to help out with that for the west areas ? Or even @MegaByte?

The only Ling I have had our way has always been well offshore ( 20miles) towards Portland/Weymouth Bay.  All caught drifting on wrecks with bait instead of lures.

That said I haven't given the local wrecks a go for any length of time, the knowledge of them being hammered puts me off spending much time trying

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Anyone ever had a ling from east or west Wight areas? I've never caught one and I'm keen to fix that, but I've not heard of them being caught round this way. Any ideas?

We normally find Ling in the deeper water, mainly on wrecks that are over 180 ft deep ...............

They put up an excellent fight, but rarely can you return them as they 'blow' (barotrauma) easily.

You can fish those wrecks all day with lures and never see a Ling (but get plenty of Pollock).......... put on some baited feathers or even just a baited hook (fillet of Mack) on a simple running ledger  and you will soon find the Ling, they are always the first fish to the bait, even quicker than pout ...............  you need a heavy trace as they have some serious teeth ...........an average fish is 15lb - 20lb, my biggest is 34lb ...............

16 minutes ago, JonC said:

My dream was to fish for ling on the wreck of the camberwell. 

That's a coincidence. I invited you to fish for ling on the Camberwell but then I uninvited you for being too fat 🐽

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Ivan Tuna said:

So who has landed a big ling and how far south of IOW do you need to sail to get them in n good numbers?

Good question. Sadly not me, but watching with interest in case anyone else can shed light.