Sat/Sun 1st/2nd April Poole OO Splash n Dash

suzook12

Well dangled Steve. It was great to meet you and Mikey finally! I've added in those fish pics of yours. Here's another of the Essex Twins giggling like school-girls round the other side of the boat.

UgGMJBX.jpg

It was great to meet @KennyPowers - quality banter and hilarity, and I'm glad to say no fish were molested on this trip!

It was a great trip out, well done to @Saintly Fish for arranging the charter/bait/Pete's birthday present, well done to @JonC for bringing half a hundredweight in frozen squid. Well done to @captin slows old outlaw for turning 70 and well done to Mikey and Leo for not puking up 🤢🤣.

Oh, and well done to me for finally catching a couple of LDS's. Was worried I was getting out of practice! 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Well dangled Steve. It was great to meet you and Mikey finally! I've added in those fish pics of yours. Here's another of the Essex Twins giggling like school-girls round the other side of the boat.

UgGMJBX.jpg

It was great to meet @KennyPowers - quality banter and hilarity, and I'm glad to say no fish were molested on this trip!

It was a great trip out, well done to @Saintly Fish for arranging the charter/bait/Pete's birthday present, well done to @JonC for bringing half a hundredweight in frozen squid. Well done to @captin slows old outlaw for turning 70 and well done to Mikey and Leo for not puking up 🤢🤣.

Oh, and well done to me for finally catching a couple of LDS's. Was worried I was getting out of practice! 

Sorry @Andy135, but you know @KennyPowerswas hiding up along the starboard walkway all day, well….08F3DAF2-A6A7-41C7-B7C5-064289D33D6C.jpeg.c8d3f26649d899cc024af9613f3e889e.jpeghe was trying but it’s not so easy with a strap. 

. Well done to @captin slows old outlaw for turning 70

Well, I am disappointed, As I turn 70 in a few days and nobody organised a charter trip for me 🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

I guess I will just have to put up with a trip to the skerries again targeting Turbot and plaice 🤣

Just waiting for the easterly swell to abate to see if I can get a double like last year 👍

32 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Well, I am disappointed, As I turn 70 in a few days and nobody organised a charter trip for me 🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

I guess I will just have to put up with a trip to the skerries again targeting Turbot and plaice 🤣

Just waiting for the easterly swell to abate to see if I can get a double like last year 👍

You should have said! If we'd known we could have organised a charter in good time, complete with complementary bar and strippers, but I suppose you'll just have to make do with a high speed ride on your tickler and maybe a happy finish from a turbot.

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

, but I suppose you'll just have to make do with a high speed ride on your tickler and maybe a happy finish from a turbot.

True, and I will certainly be happy. There are a few decent Turbot showing, so I am sure we will catch. Dave Mord has been and had a few, but no real size to them.

pull’in your leg on the birthday thing (but I will turn 70 very soon) ,because as you know, being immunosuppressed makes mixing more difficult from my perspective. 

Last year I had a fish of 11lb, but I need to beat that this year. You guys knew about the skerries trip and the plaice ( this time last year) but not the turbot as I use AIS, and I have spent quite a bit of time locating the Turbot habitat !

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

When's your big day? We'll find some other way to mark it then if not in person.

Thanks, but no thanks !
I am not big into birthdays and TBH  I would rather not be 70 (feck’in old) and certainly don't want to be reminded of it !

I will probably just go fishing for the day if the weather is in agreement.

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Wouldn't mind a go at the myself tbh!! 

Which is why I keep having dirty thoughts about a Takacat or F-Rib that I can keep down in Dartmouth and use to zip out to the Skerries. Only a few miles from Torcross or Beesands, which themselves are no more than a 30 mins drive from Dartmouth.

udDLOd8.png

33 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Which is why I keep having dirty thoughts about a Takacat or F-Rib that I can keep down in Dartmouth and use to zip out to the Skerries. Only a few miles from Torcross or Beesands, which themselves are no more than a 30 mins drive from Dartmouth.

udDLOd8.png

The skerries are only 4 miles from dartmouth !

43 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

udDLOd8.png

Yeah but @GPSguru knows what he's doing!! 

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

The skerries are only 4 miles from dartmouth !

Yes, but there's hardly anywhere sensible to launch from in Dartmouth. The public slip is right by the Higher Ferry and with nowhere to park and unload it makes unpacking, inflating and launching a challenge. Then there's Warfleet but that's only available over high water, and still nowhere to park.

At Torcross and Beesands there is plenty of parking and convenient access to the slip or the shore for launching.

21 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yes, but there's hardly anywhere sensible to launch from in Dartmouth. The public slip is right by the Higher Ferry and with nowhere to park and unload it makes unpacking, inflating and launching a challenge. Then there's Warfleet but that's only available over high water, and still nowhere to park.

At Torcross and Beesands there is plenty of parking and convenient access to the slip or the shore for launching.

True, but you can launch at dart marina and park you car. We have friends who have a riverside house in Kingswear with a pontoon, but it is actually quicker for me to go by boat from Teignmouth than drive to Dartmouth.

It is a 20 (ish) miles trip for me, so 40 - 50 mins depending on sea conditions. Start point is 25nm. 

58 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

True, but you can launch at dart marina and park you car. We have friends who have a riverside house in Kingswear with a pontoon, but it is actually quicker for me to go by boat from Teignmouth than drive to Dartmouth.

It is a 20 (ish) miles trip for me, so 40 - 50 mins depending on sea conditions. Start point is 25nm. 

Dart Marina never has any free parking spaces. And besides, they wouldn't like my scrappy Skoda rubbing shoulders with all the Range Rovers and Bentleys they seem to have parked up there 🤣

During the summer we see a few honwave, small zodiacs, and excels out there, plus the odd yak or two. 

Both the boats you mention would be fine when motoring, but I am not convinced they would be good at drifting.

It is a sand / gravel bank with very deep water on the seaward side and sometimes quite strong currents, so the sea conditions tend to change very quickly. I have seen honwaves etc shipping water and fighting to get closer inshore.

Edited by GPSguru

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

During the summer we see a few honwave, small zodiacs, and excels out there, plus the odd yak or two. 

Both the boats you mention would be fine when motoring, but I am not convinced they would be good at drifting.

It is a sand / gravel bank with very deep water on the seaward side and sometimes quite strong currents, so the sea conditions tend to change very quickly. I have seen honwaves etc shipping water and fighting to get closer inshore.

This is helpful - thanks. Might swing the decision in favour of the Takacat with an open transom - e.g. nothing to fill up with water.

Just now, Andy135 said:

This is helpful - thanks. Might swing the decision in favour of the Takacat with an open transom - e.g. nothing to fill up with water.

How about something like this? I’ve herd that they porpoise a bit but a jacking plate could solve that

6349441F-B63B-4FEB-9264-4C7CA47DC22E.jpeg