Suzuki DF140 2010 Idle control valve

willyhookit

just a heads up for the  guys that use a  suzuki   Df  from 90 hp     to the   140 HP    should you engine  cut out at idle   chances are its the Idle control valve sticking  or its  U/s     you could  try  cleaning it   using brake cleaner   or you  could fit a new one   Suzuki  prices  are around the £400 .8p    plus  £6.   ?  plus the gasket    well after having  trouble with my engine  cutting out at  tick over   ( Idle )   no fault codes showing up    i was scratching my  head a little    so i looked on a few  forums   and came across  a  few guys who have had the same problem   the Fix is to  buy a  Mk1  ford  KA  1996  to 2008    Focus   or  Galaxy     part no  9F715-AA  you have to  cut the old  plug off   and buy one off Ebay  that fits the   KA   Galaxy & focus   Idle control valve  total cost    £35      quite a  saving    and you can get then off ebay with a 5  year guarantee   Tight lines  Alain 

My 2014 suzuki 140 had plenty of other issues but not that one. Regular issues of not going above 3000rpm, gear bearings, power trim constant failings etc etc. Sold at 350hrs, since heard the new owner is having other issues with it. For the record it had had 8 annual services by Suzuki in those 350hrs. 

to be honest   J D P      my df140 as been great until i put  E10     fuel into it         im just waiting for the  weather to improve  and ill  hopefully get out uptide fishing out of whitby     only had  one dealer service at a cost of £500   and the engine  used more fuel after  it     and was  making oil     took me a while to find out what the problem was      that turned out to be a  leaking low pressure fuel pump         fitted a new  pump and all  was well      could go for a days  uptide fishing for a  Fiver  of fuel  or less    the ground i fish  is only a couple of miles  out of the harbour  at whitby    each way          engine runs fine  with the duff     idle control  valve other  then  when you  need  low revs      engine used to cut out  and not idle    right pain    coming into a berth   as i found out   down at mylor             i do all the work  myself   on the engine      as  its a 100 mile  each way  to the dealer who  is   in my mind      F     useless        good at building boats and selling new     outfits         but  his after sales   needs to improve     if im paying  £100 per  hour  plus  Vat       i want a  top notch    job doing         tight lines  Alain 

7 hours ago, willyhookit said:

to be honest   J D P      my df140 as been great until i put  E10     fuel into it         im just waiting for the  weather to improve  and ill  hopefully get out uptide fishing out of whitby     only had  one dealer service at a cost of £500   and the engine  used more fuel after  it     and was  making oil     took me a while to find out what the problem was      that turned out to be a  leaking low pressure fuel pump         fitted a new  pump and all  was well      could go for a days  uptide fishing for a  Fiver  of fuel  or less    the ground i fish  is only a couple of miles  out of the harbour  at whitby    each way          engine runs fine  with the duff     idle control  valve other  then  when you  need  low revs      engine used to cut out  and not idle    right pain    coming into a berth   as i found out   down at mylor             i do all the work  myself   on the engine      as  its a 100 mile  each way  to the dealer who  is   in my mind      F     useless        good at building boats and selling new     outfits         but  his after sales   needs to improve     if im paying  £100 per  hour  plus  Vat       i want a  top notch    job doing         tight lines  Alain 

Hopefully you've got the E10 out of it, its hydrophilic which attracts water and boats tend to be left long periods without use where there's more chance of water building up. Also keep a close eye on those powerhead anodes and replace them when needed. Ive always struggled to get 12 months use from my anodes on Suzuki's. Some people leave the anodes to 100hr services, however many people don't do 100hrs of engine running in a year so they need checking.

Also the plugs normally need replacing at 100hrs or sooner quite often. 100 quid per hour is crazy, the most expensive here would be half that but I only pay around 25 per hour for a mobile marine mechanic to do the work at my home. Either he can supple the service kits or I can get them, he gets them far cheaper than I can, so I leave it all to him. His family used to own a Yamaha dealership and his brother owns one of the biggest Suzuki deanships in our state, so they both have the best reputations for mechanical work from servicing to complete rebuilds. I do get a reduced rate as I often skipper the mechanics commercial boat, which is another more lucrative business for him.

Cheers for the heads up on the Anodes    i always carry a  service kit will me       the  £100  per hour  is plus  VAT  @ 20%    so its £120  per hour      usually 4  hours to service the engine plus  the  service kit  or parts required  if not in the kit        thats why i  do it myself        tight lines Alain 

1 hour ago, willyhookit said:

Cheers for the heads up on the Anodes    i always carry a  service kit will me       the  £100  per hour  is plus  VAT  @ 20%    so its £120  per hour      usually 4  hours to service the engine plus  the  service kit  or parts required  if not in the kit        thats why i  do it myself        tight lines Alain 

4 hours for a service? Is that a major service or just a lube job? 
It sounds like a long time to me, especially if you’re in the business and you have all the correct tools and equipment to hand. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

4 hours for a service? Is that a major service or just a lube job? 
It sounds like a long time to me, especially if you’re in the business and you have all the correct tools and equipment to hand. 

£100 ph tew??? 

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

£100 ph tew??? 

£100 per hour is fair enough for any skilled worker with tools. I was surprised that it could take 4 hours though. It’s not like they actually change anything they just show you some old worn it parts that they found somewhere else completely and do a bit of tooth whistling. Bit like heating engineers do. 

16 hours ago, JonC said:

£100 per hour is fair enough for any skilled worker with tools. I was surprised that it could take 4 hours though. It’s not like they actually change anything they just show you some old worn it parts that they found somewhere else completely and do a bit of tooth whistling. Bit like heating engineers do. 

Not at £100 per hour they don't!!! 

• 3 months later...

Update on my DF  140     engine  stopped  charging    and the weather as been crap for weeks  so not done anything to it  well today  with it been nice i thought id take a look       stuck a multi meter  on the battery  and its charging  14.2 volts     checked the wiring on the  dash volt meter and it was a dry joint     engine is running perfect     might have to adjust the idle once its in the water    now to start planing some fishing trips    off over to the caravan  on monday   kids break from school next friday   ( i park my  outfit in the school car  park )      so with a bit of look   ill get to go fishing    not drowned   any worms since  last September     the old   ( idle control valve  is full of rust  )  and seized   up    solid      tight lines  Alain   

the engine as been perfect   up until i used E10  fuel      something ill never use  again  EVER        i used to have a old seagull      ended up using at as a  anchor       best anchor  ive ever  had       tight lines  Alain 

On 3/17/2024 at 4:42 AM, captin slows old outlaw said:

not a good advert for 140 is it?

im glade i dont have one ove the moden outboards, i will stick to my  seagule

I don't know how they've gotten such a good reputation, had nothing but issues with my Suzuki 140. Sometimes it wouldn't go over 3000rpm, oil alarms kept going off and needed a new gearbox under 400hrs. Ive owned 3 Suzuki outboards and all have had issues.

Edited by JDP

On 3/20/2024 at 1:59 AM, JDP said:

I don't know how they've gotten such a good reputation, had nothing but issues with my Suzuki 140. Sometimes it wouldn't go over 3000rpm, oil alarms kept going off and needed a new gearbox under 400hrs. Ive owned 3 Suzuki outboards and all have had issues.

Yamaha all the way 😉 

I think unless engines are bought from new then subsequently used and maintained in very similar ways it’s a bit harsh to rubbish a brand. There are so many variables that would affect the engine’s lifespan. 

5 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Yamaha all the way 😉 

I love my Yam, however the guy Im working with at the moment owned a Yam dealership and also a die-hard Yam person but put a Merc on the commercial boat Im skippering the next few days and can't fault it. He's ordered another for next month having clocked over 2000hrs in just over 12 months. Yes this boat is on the water running everyday, all day carrying up to 1 ton of shellfish most days. 

mate over in Portugal   as  had nowt but trouble with his twin 150 hp yams   oil pump packed up on one     gears  knacking up      if you get a good engine regardless of make  you tend to like them    get a  duffer  and its  like burning £50 notes  

Just  to show  people  the old  I A C valve of the left   and the ( Ford) one on the right      old one  £408 from Suzuki     new one £26  off Ebay   a  Saving of £382  pounds    my engine works fine  now     one very happy chappy    roll on the good weather  and hopefully  we can all get out fishing     tight lines Alain 

I A C valve 007.jpg

That’s crazy…. Beats the £32 a spark plug one marine engineer tried to charge me…. Given that there are 6 per engine and I have 2 of them it would have cost me £384. 

The other marine engineer I now use charges me £4.50ish per plug…. Exactly the same part! 

Good on you for finding the part code and getting it cheaper 🤩