What's the best bait for dogfish?

Andy135

In preference order.... (as in dogfish attractiveness)

1). sandeel

2). Mackerel 

3). Bluey

4). Worm

5). Squid

i don’t use any other baits but on rare times I use crab it keeps them at bay but waste of money if they do steal it.

54 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Go harvest your own mr lazy. 

Costs more to get to the crab gounds.... same as digging/pumping worm. Unless I’m seeing my family in Swansea.... I used to try and visit them on spring tides so I could pump black lug for the freezer at same time 🤣

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Don’t you have a local shore that you can stroll along and get peelers? 

Nope! 

Nearest is Aberthaw about 45-50 mins from where I live. Swansea/Gower has most that’s a big over an hour each way 

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

In preference order.... (as in dogfish attractiveness)

1). sandeel

2). Mackerel 

3). Bluey

4). Worm

5). Squid

i don’t use any other baits but on rare times I use crab it keeps them at bay but waste of money if they do steal it.

If this is accurate for the south coast, the it may explain why I'm not catching more doggies. I mostly use squid or squid and lug. I have some frozen sandeel in the freezer so I'll give them a try next time and report back.

Anyone got any other guaranteed baits for dogfish?

Any fish bait works a treat .............. Off of the Orestone in early Sept, Kyle and myself managed 31 in 3 hours (plus a couple of jnr Huss) .......... what is your record ?

Disgusting things ......... they always, every bloody time, shit all over you when unhooking ............... but, they also put a decent bend in the rod, which is fine by me ...

Edited by GPSguru

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Any fish bait works a treat .............. Off of the Orestone in early Sept, Kyle and myself managed 31 in 3 hours (plus a couple of jnr Huss) .......... what is your record ?

Disgusting things ......... they always, every bloody time, shit all over you when unhooking ............... but, they also put a decent bend in the rod, which is fine by me ...

My record is 3 on a kennel rig. When they are in force it be every 3-4 mins a dogfish on your bait. No point fishing then, need to move marks

On 12/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, Andy135 said:

What bait do you find works best for attracting dogfish in your area? Interested to hear what works and what doesn't. I might be missing a trick, so come on and share your findings 😉

Pedigree Chum or Chappie works well

8 hours ago, Odyssey said:

My record is 3 on a kennel rig. When they are in force it be every 3-4 mins a dogfish on your bait. No point fishing then, need to move marks

Experience has taught us that once the dogs are around in force, then they seem to be everywhere along our part of the coast. Often, after an hour or two they clear off, which usually coincides with a change in the tide. That day we carried on bait fishing, but my usual tactic is to lure fish over a reef to avoid the dog plague.

We didn't have as many dogs as usual last year, it was a quiet year for them ................but we did get a huge amount of smoothound pups in mid summer ...........

2 hours ago, Jed Stone said:

Pedigree Chum or Chappie works well

Indeed, but as I said to @Odyssey above, I can't get the chunks to stay on the hook. Too mushy.

But... thinking about this a bit more, how about those bags they put crab cart in for cod? I wonder if I could stuff them with dog food?

You know what... I'm actually gonna have to try catching a dogfish on Pedigree chum now, just to see if it can be done. Go back to my kennel mark and put two lines down to do a side-by-side comparison. Could even drop a third with a pop-up hair rig just to see what brings them in the best...

36 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

You know what... I'm actually gonna have to try catching a dogfish on Pedigree chum now, just to see if it can be done. Go back to my kennel mark and put two lines down to do a side-by-side comparison. Could even drop a third with a pop-up hair rig just to see what brings them in the best...

I’ve thought about slugs. Plenty of them around.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, Saintly Fish said:

I’ve thought about slugs. Plenty of them around.

The thing about slugs though is that they dissolve if you pour salt on them - they literally turn into a snotty mess - put a ring of salt around your veg patch and it helps to keep the slugs away.

So if you try slugs as hook bait in saltwater you'll end up fishing with a bare hook before long.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

The thing about slugs though is that they dissolve if you pour salt on them - they literally turn into a snotty mess - put a ring of salt around your veg patch and it helps to keep the slugs away.

So if you try slugs as hook bait in saltwater you'll end up fishing with a bare hook before long.

I have thought about that fact. But powdered salt is of a high concentration. Although sea water is salty, is it salty enough to dissolve a slug ?