Strut or arch

The higher your radar the better. 

This will mean that you see further ahead with less near field interference. An arch allows you to get it higher above your cabin etc. It’s also a useful area to add nav lights, anchor lights, etc

11 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

The higher your radar the better. 

This will mean that you see further ahead with less near field interference. An arch allows you to get it higher above your cabin etc. It’s also a useful area to add nav lights, anchor lights, etc

My anchor light is installed at the front of the wheelhouse roof. The radome will need to be at the back. Probably on a 6” strut. Will this pick up the anchor light or is it too small?

How high is your anchor light? You ideally want a clear field of view.

Go for an arch, get some rod holders in there too 🙂 great for travelling as keeps rods out the way. 

However, if you’re on the shorter side you need to ask the skipper to get your rods down ( @headlight 😉 )

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@GPSguru you got any thoughts on this Ian? Also why are some struts angled and some straight?

I saw this, but I guess it comes down to personal preference ............

A raked back strut always looks better on larger boats such as yours, however an arch is more practical and probably a lot stronger ....................

3 hours ago, JonC said:

He’s probably still watching the jelly wrestling clips 

Nah, Jon ........ does nothing for me ............

I have been too feck'in busy trying to work out how to get my international orders out of the UK, but it looks like it will be resolved in the next few days and mail flights will start again ......... it takes time to write grovelling emails to all my overseas customers !

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I saw this, but I guess it comes down to personal preference ............

A raked back strut always looks better on larger boats such as yours, however an arch is more practical and probably a lot stronger ....................

I’m not sure I agree on a strut looking good... give me a good arch any day. Got to love a nice bit of shiny stainless 😁😁😁😁😁😁

@Saintly Fish if you’re forking out for Radar, spend a few more ££, get an arch and get your refector integrated into it as well 🙂 

Maybe add a flagpole and get done flags up there too 😉 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I’m not sure I agree on a strut looking good... give me a good arch any day. Got to love a nice bit of shiny stainless 😁😁😁😁😁😁

@Saintly Fish if you’re forking out for Radar, spend a few more ££, get an arch and get your refector integrated into it as well 🙂 

Maybe add a flagpole and get done flags up there too 😉 

I don’t want an arch as it will ruin the lines of my boat. I prefer the look of a strut but just wondered if there was an advantage over either. 

29 minutes ago, Geoff said:

That will probably be  enough to convince Neil to fit an a strut. Geoff.☺️

Exactly, it’s the reverse psychology thing . Works on kids and my dogs so I figured it would work on him

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I don’t want an arch as it will ruin the lines of my boat. I prefer the look of a strut but just wondered if there was an advantage over either. 

Agreed, an angled strut looks more in keeping with the aesthetics of a larger sports boat. However, an arch is more practical for a fishing boat.

To fit an angled strut you might have the strengthen the cabin roof, not rocket science, just more work !

21 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Agreed, an angled strut looks more in keeping with the aesthetics of a larger sports boat. However, an arch is more practical for a fishing boat.

To fit an angled strut you might have the strengthen the cabin roof, not rocket science, just more work !

A guy in my marina I know fitted one on a merry 755 he had to reinforce his roof. I think it was just a plate underneath no serious re engineering.

If I was starting from scratch I would fit an arch and put all my crap up there but Fisty already has everything in place so no mileage in moving everything.

• 1 month later...

So going forward with a strut.. is a 6” strut enough to give the radome clearance to shoot over the bow when it rises? Would I need a wedge to level off the radome to stop it pointing to the clouds or can I adjust the offset of the signal? 

Hope that makes sense!

19 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So going forward with a strut.. is a 6” strut enough to give the radome clearance to shoot over the bow when it rises? Would I need a wedge to level off the radome to stop it pointing to the clouds or can I adjust the offset of the signal? 

Hope that makes sense!

In the spec for your radar scanner it will show the angle of the cone shape beam that comes out of it. Try to find a scale drawing of your boat a d work from there 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

In the spec for your radar scanner it will show the angle of the cone shape beam that comes out of it. Try to find a scale drawing of your boat a d work from there 

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMR_18_24_xHD_Install_EN-US.pdf

how am I supposed to know the angle of the bow when under way though?