Strut or arch

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMR_18_24_xHD_Install_EN-US.pdf

how am I supposed to know the angle of the bow when under way though? 

the Angle your radar’s transmission to your boats bow will be constant, the whole thing will pitch up when underway or move about when conditions are heavy. The radar will compensate for this movement. On sailing boats they have a self levelling gimbal but at 15 m high the movement is massively exaggerated 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:49 AM, Saintly Fish said:

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMR_18_24_xHD_Install_EN-US.pdf

how am I supposed to know the angle of the bow when under way though? 

You can download a clinometer app for your phone it will tell you the angle when underway

TBH it’s less on an issue with GRP boats. 

Radar technology should clear any feedback that close to you anyway. Obviously the higher the better, but it’s not as I’d you’re on a steel boat...

35 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

TBH it’s less on an issue with GRP boats. 

Radar technology should clear any feedback that close to you anyway. Obviously the higher the better, but it’s not as I’d you’re on a steel boat...

I got a recon 6” strut from eBay , thought that would be enough seeing as it’s sitting on top of the wheel house. 

So my strut bracket for the radome and reflector turned up today. Needless to say it’s gone straight back in the box to be returned. I don’t like it at all. No shine, sticks out a mile from the back of the strut and even the reflector was built to a bad finish. 
Back to the drawing board.

2B515EAB-4094-45D9-A756-BCEEEE8F3A7C.jpeg.691e774b7ced087973ad38ab2ed6e32a.jpeg

0DB9A1A5-B65C-4F36-BAF8-E617A4469C0E.jpeg.e724b88602901504fe739c9d88b75c12.jpeg

1AAFB6E0-34C2-473A-B122-B30533847472.jpeg.025b68b45fe6f628ad581d3304aa07b2.jpeg

A3D4047B-A83A-4188-9689-30816723656F.jpeg.875dee67856660da8edf4fc2e19db480.jpeg

Would like to add, that looks like 304 grade stainless which is no use for sea.... It has a self healing coat so even if ya polish it, eventually it goes back to that dull finish.

316 is usually supplied highly polished and is a nightmare for picking up scratches so usually has a protective plastic coating (Nitto)

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

So my strut bracket for the radome and reflector turned up today. Needless to say it’s gone straight back in the box to be returned. I don’t like it at all. No shine, sticks out a mile from the back of the strut and even the reflector was built to a bad finish. 
Back to the drawing board.

2B515EAB-4094-45D9-A756-BCEEEE8F3A7C.jpeg.691e774b7ced087973ad38ab2ed6e32a.jpeg

0DB9A1A5-B65C-4F36-BAF8-E617A4469C0E.jpeg.e724b88602901504fe739c9d88b75c12.jpeg

1AAFB6E0-34C2-473A-B122-B30533847472.jpeg.025b68b45fe6f628ad581d3304aa07b2.jpeg

A3D4047B-A83A-4188-9689-30816723656F.jpeg.875dee67856660da8edf4fc2e19db480.jpeg

Poor design and finish, the wind drag on that would have been atrocious.

Unfortunately, strut's in 316 tube have never been cheap, most are over a 'monkey' and something that has a bit of bling for the reflector etc will be over a 'bag of sand'

There are reasons ....... 316 is expensive, 316 is quite difficult to work with, 316 has a high man hours overhead to get the required final finish, but on the plus side you will buy once, and it will last a lifetime.

My A frame on the RIB was over £3k

I understand that WhiteWater 2 has £75k worth on stainless on board...

To replace all of mine is about £10k

Poach a couple of @JonC scaffold tubes and clamps and you’ll be fine 😎😉

Edited by Odyssey
To keep mod JonC happy and provide the correct terminology of scaffold tubes not poles

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I understand that WhiteWater 2 has £75k worth on stainless on board...

To replace all of mine is about £10k

Poach a couple of @JonC scaffold poles and clamps and you’ll be fine 😎😉

Tubes

I have looked into my boat records and have a drawing for the gantry mount and also the extra mastt assembly I made , if you PM your email address I can send them over if you want to get your own manufactured.

Steve

30 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Out of interest, how much budget have you placed on it ?

There are some decent products from both Cactus and Vision Marine.

I’ve already sent him links to various nice looking struts that are what he wants, but he doesn’t want to pay the money.  

I think this would look nice, and it’s only two washers and a valve at some old age pensioners house,
7BA796A0-0488-4A2C-A380-598866451232.thumb.jpeg.462b6bfe1169e4c5f25d85d7f3b683b2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Cuda4 said:

I have looked into my boat records and have a drawing for the gantry mount and also the extra mastt assembly I made , if you PM your email address I can send them over if you want to get your own manufactured.

Steve

Steve, where did you get yours fabricated? I'm in the market for a set of bow rails and possibly an arch.

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Steve, where did you get yours fabricated? I'm in the market for a set of bow rails and possibly an arch.

Stone cold Steve down Southampton way or whatever his name is is meant to be good, that’s where mine came from. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Stone cold Steve down Southampton way or whatever his name is is meant to be good, that’s where mine came from. 

You mean Stainless Steve in Lymington? Wasn't responsive when I left a voicemail for a stainless landing net, so why would he be any more responsive for anything else?

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

You mean Stainless Steve in Lymington? Wasn't responsive when I left a voicemail for a stainless landing net, so why would he be any more responsive for anything else?

That’s him. 
maybe he forgot? 

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

He probably knew you would never need it and it was a waste of everybody’s time making you a landing net. 

Yes, probably. But even so, it would have made him a few quid?

4 hours ago, Cuda4 said:

Steve

Thank you Steve that’s very kind of you. I have however decided to go down the scan strut route with an arm out the back for gps, vhf antennas and an anchor light. I will most likely go down the active reflector made by echomax, I did look for a “see me” like you have but they seem to be no more.