Channel Islands fishing

Andy135

Anyone fished the Channel Islands, or Hurds Deep?

I've heard lots about Alderney but never been, and given that we may yet be able to head over there to fish this year (assuming mass vaccination brings the protection we're all hoping for) I'm curious to know more.

@Maverick is probably going to be your best source of info on this one. I’ve been once to Alderney with the PBSBAC boys and was due to go again last year, which obviously didn’t happen. It’s the first time I’d fished that way, ie drifting wrecks and banks. Needless to say I wasn’t very good at it and lost more sidewinders than I care to remember. But I did catch the boats biggest pollock. 

14E238C2-BCD3-4CEA-902C-BC213E09AD12.thumb.jpeg.74ca031e11e5a4c842a1a62dac7c2d97.jpeg

Yes to both.  PBSBAC have annual trips over to Alderney fishing wrecks on the way over or on the way back or both.  We have fished wrecks in the hurd's deeps although fishing wrecks in around 400' of water does take considerably more expertise in setting up drifts than it does in shallower waters, it just takes so long for your tackle to get down there then of course is the long windup, so we don't tend to bother with that.  Only ever properly fished the Deeps on a charter.  The past few years we have not overly bothered with much wreck fishing en-route and instead headed almost straight to the banks to fish for Turbot and Brill.  The fishing these past 3 or 4 years has not been brilliant and to be honest the trip is a lads long weekend away with fishing thrown in.  Well worth going if you can just for the experience.  This years planning has started and maybe as uk boats did not fish over there this past year we may see an upturn in the fishing, fingers crossed for that.

Edited by Maverick

Had a weekend over there around 20 (approx) yrs ago 

Didn't do much wrecking on the way over, just went straight to the banks for flatfish

Had a tremendous weekend with loads of low double Turbot and Brill, the biggest went 17/18lb IIRC

Fished the wrecks on the way back and could've literally filled the boat with Pollock if we had wanted to

Also did another weekend either the year before or year after with similar results, fantastic sport

Speaking to some Weymouth skippers over the last few years and it has been poor, with the mid channel wrecks barely producing anything decent

Would love to go again if fishing improved, may look at it for our one of our clubs trips next year

That's given me food for thought, cheers Andy

BTW did fishy manage to get any marks from that card I sent down

25 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Ive not managed to transfer any data yet. It’s on my now growing list of things to do. 
I did pop the card into the pc but couldn’t read it. My plotter takes a mini sd not a standard so I need to transfer the data first. 

29 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Had a weekend over there around 20 (approx) yrs ago 

Didn't do much wrecking on the way over, just went straight to the banks for flatfish

Had a tremendous weekend with loads of low double Turbot and Brill, the biggest went 17/18lb IIRC

Fished the wrecks on the way back and could've literally filled the boat with Pollock if we had wanted to

Also did another weekend either the year before or year after with similar results, fantastic sport

Speaking to some Weymouth skippers over the last few years and it has been poor, with the mid channel wrecks barely producing anything decent

Would love to go again if fishing improved, may look at it for our one of our clubs trips next year

That's given me food for thought, cheers Andy

I’d be up for a club trip 🙂 

Turbot and Brill on the fishing bucket list 🙂 

Used to fish there before moving here, it was like fishing UK waters 50 years ago. Those wrecks held summer cod among other fish and many had sharks hanging around them too. Our trips were often over several days, where even the night fishing didn't disappoint in terms of blue sharks. 

I don't think setting up drifts with today's modern electronics represents to many problems on pinpointing wreck accuracy. I'm dropping onto very small targets in 350m without issue. Simply set a bearing course extension on the plotter and if it looks like you may be a few metres out simply engage the boat in gear to correct the drift. You might be wanting to use jigs 500g up and keep the boat over the falling jig by again dropping the engine in and out of gear. An ellectronic compas such as point 1 is a must in this kind of fishing. The first drift will be the one one to get everything worked out such lure drop time to work out how far ahead of the mark you need to be but from then on it should only take small adjustments to correct drifts.

My concern these days would be what's left after the overseas fishing pressure this area may of had.

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Anyone fished the Channel Islands, or Hurds Deep?

I've heard lots about Alderney but never been, and given that we may yet be able to head over there to fish this year (assuming mass vaccination brings the protection we're all hoping for) I'm curious to know more.

I plan to this year buddy. I mentioned the Hurds Deep to a few Jersey mates and they said it was poor most of last year. 

On 1/3/2021 at 11:52 PM, Ivan Tuna said:

I plan to this year buddy. I mentioned the Hurds Deep to a few Jersey mates and they said it was poor most of last year. 

Interesting. What were they targeting in the Deep? I've heard it can be good for sharks.

We used to Charter Tiger Lilly with Chris Caines (RIP) there was one wreck in the deeps he favoured for Ling along with the usual wreck species.  There is an area just north of Alderney which is a hot spot for large tope and lots of them however, the last few years has seen less of them there.  Neil would know roughly where this is as he went with a skipper who loved to catch Tope.

22 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Neil would know roughly where this is as he went with a skipper who loved to catch Tope.

🤣🤣

I have no clue where this is, it’s the first time I’d met Charlie and no way was going to be taking selfie’s with his plotter screen! 

43 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No but an ex marine and an ex para (Ian) I didnt fancy my chances much. 

I bet that was just one big ‘who’s hat is the best contest’ and going on about Goose green.