New TV

Saintly Fish

So we have had planning permission granted to do another loft conversion on our house. We are going to turn it into a reading/TV/Games room. So basically a room that the whole family can use for entertainment's. 

Im going to get the internet up there for streaming etc etc. So, a new TV is in order. It will be 43-50” screen and will need to be as smart as possible in order for me to add external apps. 
Im not overly techie in this department and would be open to advise on what to look for on the new TV’s. 
What do you guys have or recommend and why?

Anything from Samsung works really well. I can pair them with my phone and use it to control the TV, and I often cast things from my phone onto the TV so that everyone can view it easily instead of crowding round the phone.

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Anything from Samsung works really well. I can pair them with my phone and use it to control the TV, and I often cast stuff on my phone onto the TV so that everyone can view stuff easily instead of crowding round the phone.

Yes, trouble with Samsung is the operating system is not compatible with an iPhone. Unless things have changed? My current tv is Samsung and it doesn’t work. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes, trouble with Samsung is the operating system is not compatible with an iPhone. Unless things have changed? My current tv is Samsung and it doesn’t work. 

The answer is simple. Get a Samsung phone 😉👍

We don't even have TV in our lounge. We just have a projector, AV amplifier and digibox. It works very well, we do not even have a screen, but just project straight onto our white wall and have about an 80" screen without having to house a monster black box anywhere. Being very old fashioned we only watch TV, but I am sure that we could use any smart device to drive the set-up. A projector would add the option of home cinema to your options - just a thought. Geoff.

11 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nah.

ive just had a look actually and the Samsung, LG and new sony TVs now support airplay2. So casting from an iPhone into a Samsung is possible. 

I have a samsung 7series75 and that mirrors my iPhone etc. 

2 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I had to buy a new tv this morning, as ours went black on the right hand side

Was chuffed yesterday as I won nearly £500 on a horse

Then pissed off this morning when I had to spend most of it in Currys

At least you had it spare. 

4 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I had to buy a new tv this morning, as ours went black on the right hand side

Was chuffed yesterday as I won nearly £500 on a horse

Then pissed off this morning when I had to spend most of it in Currys

I'm pissed off when I have to spend anything in Currys.

My preferred choice has been LG of late for TV's, picture quality always seems better, menu seems pretty straightforward to use..... A mate in the trade told me LG make a lot of stuff for the others from complete tv's to components for them, so I bought into the LG brand

17 minutes ago, DINOBOY said:

I bought a Samsung 65” curved last year, it’s truly amazing! It’s works with iPhone and MacBook Pro, I used to be a diehard Panasonic fan but the Samsung came good.  Shop around online as I got an amazing deal from Argos. 

Does the curve give the Samsung a better viewing angle? I’ve read that their down fall (the flat screens) is that Samsung pixilate a fair bit when watched from a side angle.