Slow jigging at anchor

Had a trip cancelled today that was targeting Bream at anchor over wrecks

Has anyone used slow jigs while anchored, my thinking was that the slow jigs fall haphazardly and not just straight back down vertically like a pirk

Is it worth trying a very quick retrieve for a couple of metres and let it "flutter" back down, working your way up through the water column ?

Obviously will be covering the same ground, unless you run around the boat 

11 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Has anyone used slow jigs while anchored, my thinking was that the slow jigs fall haphazardly and not just straight back down vertically like a pirk

Is it worth trying a very quick retrieve for a couple of metres and let it "flutter" back down, working your way up through the water column ?

What’s doing with that finger of yours? Is it recovering or have you had to have your gloves altered? 

48 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I've thought of giving it a try but as you say, we'd be covering the same ground so we'd be relying on passing trade, similar to hanging a string of feathers over the side but with more effort.

14 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I've been seriously looking at slow jigging and done a lot of reading up on it. 

From what I've seen the jig needs to be worked vertically so if you anchored with tide running the jig would be pulled away from the boat and not work effectively.  It'd be OK at slack water.  With tide running you'd need to drift and cast it ahead of your drift so when it's in the zone you want it's under you and working vertically. 

You described a lot of what I've watched when saying to retrieve and flutter up through the water column. You're covering all the ground doing it that way. 

I've thought about them for wrecking when the tide goes slack. The shad catches seem to die off and I thought a slow jig might winkle something out

16 hours ago, JonC said:

What’s doing with that finger of yours? Is it recovering or have you had to have your gloves altered? 

Had it off last Monday, pulled it out of the knuckle joint and shaved the joint back so it wouldn't jut out too much

In hindsight, with the skin graft etc, I should've had it gone first as last 

1 minute ago, jonnyswamp said:

Had it off last Monday, pulled it out of the knuckle joint and shaved the joint back so it wouldn't jut out too much

In hindsight, with the skin graft etc, I should've had it gone first as last 

How's the recovery going? Is it healing ok/still painful at all?

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

How's the recovery going? Is it healing ok/still painful at all?

Unbearable Mon night/Tuesday morn, like the worst ever arm pump (motocross riders will know) combined with constant cramp from the wrist to the elbow, I assume from cutting/working on the tendons

Went Breaming on the Thursday out of Weymouth which gave it a good test

Fine now though, just a constant nagging pain in the finger that's been incinerated

Hopefully that will go eventually

2021-08-21_02-24-14

2 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I've been seriously looking at slow jigging and done a lot of reading up on it. 

From what I've seen the jig needs to be worked vertically so if you anchored with tide running the jig would be pulled away from the boat and not work effectively.  It'd be OK at slack water.  With tide running you'd need to drift and cast it ahead of your drift so when it's in the zone you want it's under you and working vertically. 

You described a lot of what I've watched when saying to retrieve and flutter up through the water column. You're covering all the ground doing it that way. 

I've thought about them for wrecking when the tide goes slack. The shad catches seem to die off and I thought a slow jig might winkle something out

Don't take all of what you read or hear to be completely true. At anchor with no current today I caught no fish on micro jigs but when I was being pushed by the wind drifting and my line so far out the back I could barely feel bottom I was catching fish. I find you need either current or wind to push you over structure giving the fish that quick option to grab it or miss out. Drift to fast and it does get tricky but I find trimming the engine up slightly and engaging in and out of reverse against the current to help feel the jig hit bottom works well.

The biggest mistake most people make is using heavy line which makes using small lures almost impossible to stay in contact with. The smaller the lures the slower they tend to flutter down, also most of the fish hits will happen on the fall. You don't need high end rods or reels, today I way using a tiny little ugly stick kids rod with a 3000 spin reel and 10lb braid.

45 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Unbearable Mon night/Tuesday morn, like the worst ever arm pump (motocross riders will know) combined with constant cramp from the wrist to the elbow, I assume from cutting/working on the tendons

Fine now though, just a constant nagging pain in the finger that's been incinerated

2021-08-21_02-24-14

Wow. Glad it's on the mend. How long did they say it would take to grow back?

On 8/21/2021 at 2:39 PM, jonnyswamp said:

2021-08-21_02-24-14

Congratulations for being so brave - I know that I could never go through what you have and been so positive about it. I do realize that for the long term you have almost certainly made the right decision, but I don't think that I would have had the guts to do it. I do hope that it heals well and that long term nagging pain will disappear. Good luck with your recovery. Geoff.

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Congratulations for being so brave - I know that I could never go through what you have and been so positive about it. I do realize that for the long term you have almost certainly made the right decision, but I don't think that I would have had the guts to do it. I do hope that it heals well and that long term nagging pain will disappear. Good luck with your recovery. Geoff.

I’m sure that if Ranalph Feins can do it in his shed with a hacksaw, you could do it in hospital Geoff! 💪🏻

2 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

it probably wouldn't

Ok, well on the off-chance that it does then be sure to post up a pic. 

Until then, hope your recovery continues smoothly. I have to say, going fishing a few days after a procedure like that gets a big fat kudos from me. I take my hat off to you sir. Hardcore dangler 👍

5 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ok, well on the off-chance that it does then be sure to post up a pic. 

Until then, hope your recovery continues smoothly. I have to say, going fishing a few days after a procedure like that gets a big fat kudos from me. I take my hat off to you sir. Hardcore dangler 👍

Not really hardcore, just tight, would've had to pay if I didn't go 😎