Do we over complicate things?

Saintly Fish

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I tend to agree. This guys method is so simple, and so is his rod. I can't see it working in the Solent or BC! 

Oh for sure it won’t work but beach fisherman can often get distracted by the amount of bling they add to rigs etc…. I sometimes wonder if we just use good quality bait and keep it simple if our catche rates would drop at all…. 🤔

17 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Oh for sure it won’t work but beach fisherman can often get distracted by the amount of bling they add to rigs etc…. I sometimes wonder if we just use good quality bait and keep it simple if our catche rates would drop at all…. 🤔

When I first started beach fishing I mainly used a running ledger and caught more then than when I started using clipped up clipped down rigs with springs  and other complex crap. These things were what was in the magazines. 
These were the magazines that were full of advertisements selling all this unnecessary crap 

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

When I first started beach fishing I mainly used a running ledger and caught more then than when I started using clipped up clipped down rigs with springs  and other complex crap. These things were what was in the magazines. 
These were the magazines that were full of advertisements selling all this unnecessary crap 

Yes we do tend to fall into the bling trap. I'm like you (only slimmer), I don't use much else than a running ledger. Difference is you up-tide and I down tide. Good quality bait is the key factor. 

15 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes we do tend to fall into the bling trap. I'm like you (only slimmer), I don't use much else than a running ledger. Difference is you up-tide and I down tide. Good quality bait is the key factor. 

Terminal tackle for me involves a bead, a couple of swivels, double Gemini clip and a hook. 
Sometimes a bit of mono as well. 

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Uptide or downtide same rig for me…. 

running ledger 3-4ft snood most likely a Pennel hook set up. (That’s for “normal” fishing)

Yes🤔 pennel rigs. I tend to stay away from double hooks as I find them a bit cruel. Somehow in my mind feeding a fish one sharp hook isn't as bad as feeding it a double. Especially greedy dogfish. 

from the boat simple running ledger or a 2 hook flapper for bream - simps

from the shore a simple pennel rig, ledger for flatties, or 2 hook flapper. Simps

from the pier float rig, spinning, or you guessed it - 2 hook flapper! simps

obvs add beads and sequins when targeting specific fish.

no need to overcomplicate though!

13 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

from the shore a simple pennel rig, ledger for flatties, or 2 hook flapper. Simps

I’m sure our resident sex toy tester @Andy135 will recommend a range of beads

I think, when it comes to beach fishing, a lot of the bling was for where yards really matter, clip down rigs etc. There are beaches where nothing short of 150 yard baited casts will do, clip downs etc really come into their own then.

They are all tools of the trade, but it's down to the tradesman to know when to use them.....

No beads, clips, bait elastic here and most of the time I don't even use swivels.  Most hard body lures, soft plastics and even poppers don't spin, so swivels simply aren't needed. The fish I catch don't swim upside-down spinning in circles. 

16 minutes ago, JDP said:

No beads, clips, bait elastic here and most of the time I don't even use swivels.  Most hard body lures, soft plastics and even poppers don't spin, so swivels simply aren't needed. The fish I catch don't swim upside-down spinning in circles. 

So so far Jon you are the closest to the guys technique in the video! 

19 hours ago, mike farrants said:

I used to use a pulley pennel when fishing from the shore for distance. 

2 hook flapper for the smalll stuff 

Running ledger for inshore bassing. 

Instill use a 2 hook flapper for whiting and bream, no need for complex stuff. 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, Geoff said:

Probably because with the abundance of fish you can't miss. Geoff.:classic_wink:

Been struggling the last few trips to find much to throw my stick at, or should I say struggling to find the edible variety.

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all

Need to make up some boat rigs as have only got shore rigs made up - like some of you just use pulley penal and two hook slappers 

Is this  a good version to make up? With two hooks or one, and they are using mono not amnesia 

Feels like fishing 101 again but use flat weights not grippers?

9 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

Morning all

Need to make up some boat rigs as have only got shore rigs made up - like some of you just use pulley penal and two hook slappers 

Is this  a good version to make up? With two hooks or one, and they are using mono not amnesia 

Feels like fishing 101 again but use flat weights not grippers?

I use a simple running ledger for all of my downtiding at anchor. Hook sizes and trace material will vary depending on the species being targeted.

What species and style of fishing are you planning on? A plaice rig is different from a bream rig is different from a conger rig, for example.

Just now, Andy135 said:

I use a simple running ledger for all of my downtiding at anchor. Hook sizes and trace material will vary depending on the species being targeted.

What species and style of fishing are you planning on? A plaice rig is different from a bream rig is different from a conger rig, for example.

Oh balls. 

Well like shore fishing I was hoping for just a simple rig or two like the nice captain of the charter boats gives us numpties when we use his gear. 

I suppose around my way and distance offshore - to begin with - I’ll be mostly looking at skate, with the usual by-catch of whiting /doggies. Cod/codling are a long forgotten memory.