Odyssey Refresh

This winters job is to so a mini refit of my boat. She’s had a hammering past few years so time for some TLC and maybe clear out some of the boating detritus that I’ve gathered since I’ve had her…

First one is a Diesel heater

So a proper ebspacher heater is about £2.5k…. 

As I’m a tight wad who ain’t paying that I’m after a Chinese version… what’s best? It needs to be a lot cheaper than that else it’s just wrap up warm as i ain’t got £2.5k for warmth… 

I’ve already got a skin fitting and ducting in place from an old heater that was removed. Therefore I’m hoping for a simpler install…. 

Tips/recommendations welcomed 🙂 

New lights just been ordered from the states, will post up details when I get them 🙂 

Edited by Odyssey

• Odyssey changed the title to Odyssey Refresh

I fitted one like this one on eBay 133694440685. 
Just change all the Clips and the fuel line. 
mines been in 18mints now and starts straight away and heats perfect. 
I used the eberschpacer ducting and insulation, it's a bit more costly but the whole install still came in under £300! 
At that price you cannot go wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I fitted one like this one on eBay 133694440685
Just change all the Clips and the fuel line. 
mines been in 18mints now and starts straight away and heats perfect. 
I used the eberschpacer ducting and insulation, it's a bit more costly but the whole install still came in under £300! 
At that price you cannot go wrong. 

That’s more like it! 

Ducting is already in place so I’ll have a look at that one when ive got some more funds…. (Awaiting a bulk chum sale for someone who is too lazy to make their own) so hopefully that’ll cover the cost. 

Thanks for the link 🙂 much appreciated and saves me trawling t’interweb 

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nope someone in Milford. He’s a shark “expert” but don’t like getting his hands grubby but a good customer of mine 😂😂😂😂

Most of the newer ex vehicle units are powered up via the canbus, and it seems to be difficult to get either the vehicle or heater suppliers to give any info about getting them to power up via a plain 12/24volt supply. I have been trying to get the Webasto water heater in my old Ducato (now sold) working as a night heater, but failed miserably. The Chinese airheaters do seem to get good reports. Geoff.

Well…. 

After an earlier lock than planned I soon saw that my deck flood light was down to one light. So new deck lights are on order as well 🙂 

Hella marine, blue and white LED lights. I was tempted by red and white as red is good to keep your night sight and I have red in the cabin. However red May clash with port side light so it’s blue as low level lighting abd then flick the switch and it’s white for inside marina/locks…. (I’ve seen pictures on Facebook and looks good)

Once back in Cardiff I’ll get them fitted. 

nexr on the list is the fridge, replace or repaint and replace catche and seal is the question…. Tempted with new as a fresh start but will look at costs….

Going to be a busy winter me thinks! 

Edited by Odyssey

RTU5024 GSM Gate Opener Relay 900MHz/850MHz/1900MHz Door Access Free Call Switch | eBay

Get yourself one of these as well, a fair bit cheaper than the Eberspacher version

I've had one for about 12 months and it's been a godsend in the cold

I use a free Asda pay as you go sim and put the minimum amount on it, as long as the sim is used at least once every 180 days it stays activated

When I get up, I send the heater a text and by the time I get to the boat all the windows are defrosted and the cabin is 20 odd degrees

Very easy to wire in too

Edited by jonnyswamp

So on the topic of heaters….

Anyone got any pictures or a diagram of the inlet/outer of their heaters? I’m nervous about getting it wrong…. 

help needed!! 😬😬😬

10 hours ago, Odyssey said:

So on the topic of heaters….

Anyone got any pictures or a diagram of the inlet/outer of their heaters? I’m nervous about getting it wrong…. 

help needed!! 😬😬😬

When you get back to cbyc, you can have a look at my heater and set up

Just let me know when

• 4 weeks later...

Work starts Saturday 🙂 

Hailer horn, deck lights and hopefully ill be the first U.K. boat to have Durabrite lights as well 😁😁😁 should arrive tomorrow and look the dogs danglies 😍

I looked for a new fridge door after mine broke when I hit a wave £400…. (A new fridge is £1200) went to local caravan breakers and got a second hand one for £40 🙂 

Edited by Odyssey

55 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I didn't realise this was a thing. I thought they just got dumped and burned out on the local council estate!

There is a small repair shop in the Welsh valleys, if you have an insurance claim that’s beyond economic repair they basically buy the wreck and strip it if stuff. I dropped them a line and sourced it for me. They do the same for campervan parts…. Only I think caravan/camper parts don’t have the word marine with the corresponding premium! 

On another note… my new lights arrived…. Looks great 🙂 I’ll be lighting up Cardiff bay for sure 🙂