Solo on the Solent.

Saintly Fish

59 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Probably on that day, they seem to have hoovered up everything else Jon. 

Pretty certain scallops used to get pulled from that area years ago, from memory they only had a very short season on them. Might be wrong but my nephew owns a commercial boat and only seems to target them for a short period, then back to crabs.

44 minutes ago, JDP said:

Pretty certain scallops used to get pulled from that area years ago, from memory they only had a very short season on them. Might be wrong but my nephew owns a commercial boat and only seems to target them for a short period, then back to crabs.

Yeah but they won't be collected in nets would they? More dragged cages?

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

90% down tide Scott. I've tried up tiding but I'm not great at it. 

I've found uptiding can make a large difference in your catch rate,  I like to stick one out with a live bait on and fish a second with normal dead baits.  I've had quite a few winter trips where the uptide rods have massively out fished my own downtider and others on my boat solely using downtiders. 

I'd recommend persevering with it and getting the practice in.  

34 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I've found uptiding can make a large difference in your catch rate,  I like to stick one out with a live bait on and fish a second with normal dead baits.  I've had quite a few winter trips where the uptide rods have massively out fished my own downtider and others on my boat solely using downtiders. 

I'd recommend persevering with it and getting the practice in.  

What depths do you uptide in though? 

33 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

My marks on the Nab Spoils are between 80 & 100ft, uptide there no problem

Ok, so if it's that deep what advantage does uprising make apart from covering more ground? It's not like you get too much of a noise area in those depths. I understood that uprising is for getting a bait away from the noise?

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I uptide in 80ft of water no problem 

What size leads are you yoosing/using? 
Do you go with fixed geminis or breakaways? 
When we had our SLT AGM last month I was struggling with 230g with anything other than small finger sized baits, there was a decent flow of tide in about 60-70’ of water. 

54 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, so if it's that deep what advantage does uprising make apart from covering more ground? It's not like you get too much of a noise area in those depths. I understood that uprising is for getting a bait away from the noise?

Get yourself a copy of this, loads of pictures and some great fashion tips

43B45752-3D11-4209-B9D9-1F3DC7C34FFE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

You'd be suprised how much noise the anchor rode makes in a strong tide, it also allows you to fish a lighter lead and as you said covers more ground. 

There will be other differences, I can only speak from my own findings that on most days my uptiders will out fish my downtiders setup with the same rigs / baits

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

This is a simplified idea of how the anchor ride scatters the fish. The fish I have circled are small dogfish. 

AB3678AF-9F61-460D-ACA2-5E0F546E5A54.jpeg

So following this line of thinking, there must be an advantage to paying out lots more line when downtiding to put the bait further away from the rode noise i.e. fish as far away from the rode as you can, either sideways or far downtide.

7 hours ago, JonC said:

This is a simplified idea of how the anchor ride scatters the fish. The fish I have circled are small dogfish. 

AB3678AF-9F61-460D-ACA2-5E0F546E5A54.jpeg

Those 3 you've circled, they are the 3 I normally catch. They are normally the toughest and biggest too/2/two, not scared of nufink 

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

So following this line of thinking, there must be an advantage to paying out lots more line when downtiding to put the bait further away from the rode noise i.e. fish as far away from the rode as you can, either sideways or far downtide.

You would think, but as you are not using the tide to hold the lead, then you run more risk of being towed out

8 hours ago, JonC said:

What size leads are you yoosing/using? 
Do you go with fixed geminis or breakaways? 
When we had our SLT AGM last month I was struggling with 230g with anything other than small finger sized baits, there was a decent flow of tide in about 60-70’ of water. 

210g Fixed red head Gemini. 40lb braid (0.32mm dia) whole squid. You need and let loads of line out. 

12 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

210g Fixed red head Gemini. 40lb braid (0.32mm dia) whole squid. You need and let loads of line out. 

Have you been using braid for a while? A lot of people advise against it but I’ve not really used it for casting.

yeah i thought it was thick (40lb) mainline to specifically catch the tide and put a bow in the line, grip lead to  hold bottom?

i bought a nice Penn INXS uptider 2nd hand but never got to try it out, will give it a go now!

great diagram Jon!

21 minutes ago, JonC said:

Have you been using braid for a while? A lot of people advise against it but I’ve not really used it for casting.

I’ve started this year. Needs to bed on spool but works well, just check the end by your lead in case it’s frayed. I can uptide in deeper water and faster tides which is main advantage

Just now, mike farrants said:

yeah i thought it was thick (40lb) mainline to specifically catch the tide and put a bow in the line, grip lead to  hold bottom?

i bought a nice Penn INXS uptider 2nd hand but never got to try it out, will give it a go now!

great diagram Jon!

Thick line can be too thick…. Sometimes best to go thinner. I woukd suggest 20lb mono and a 60lb shock leader to start. 

You want to cast closer to the rode as the tide runs fastest, then almost 90deg to boat at slack water 

10 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

great diagram Jon!

Definitely the opposite with line, the thinner and less resistance to the tide the better. 
I’ve added a note on the sketch that it’s not my handiwork, it’s from a book.