Few prawns

JDP

10 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

They look tasty. Top scooping 👍

Prawns tasty? Ugh! Even "Pot noodles" would be tastier IMHO, but I would not eat any of them. Just had a really tasty traditional "roast dinner" and surprisingly the meat M&S slow cooked beef - now that was tasty. Geoff.

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

My worst nightmare! 
I hate them, not that they taste that bad, just I was force fed them every week as a kid. Now I can afford to buy my own food, it's the absolute last thing I'll eat. 

What is really odd is when people go to a restaurant and eat a roast. WTF?

58 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

My worst nightmare! 
I hate them, not that they taste that bad, just I was force fed them every week as a kid. Now I can afford to buy my own food, it's the absolute last thing I'll eat. 

Much has to do with the prawn species themselves, they don't simply all taste the same and the way they are cooked also has much to do with taste as well as how fresh they are. I never rated them when I lived in the UK, even the ones we caught ourselves. In saying that even the local lobsters we get are considered the better tasting of the numerous species we get here and the highest in value but still rank bellow slow cooked pork in my opinion. I eat a fair amount of fish and locally hunted deer (six species), goats and pigs so rarely eat any bought meat. 

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Much has to do with the prawn species themselves, they don't simply all taste the same and the way they are cooked also has much to do with taste as well as how fresh they are. I never rated them when I lived in the UK, even the ones we caught ourselves. In saying that even the local lobsters we get are considered the better tasting of the numerous species we get here and the highest in value but still rank bellow slow cooked pork in my opinion. I eat a fair amount of fish and locally hunted deer (six species), goats and pigs so rarely eat any bought meat. 

Prawns I love @JDP, I was referring to the roast dinner!  
#youmustreadproper

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Prawns I love @JDP, I was referring to the roast dinner!  
#youmustreadproper

I recently made a big jump forward in all our cooking of meats and fish by investing in a Thermapen mk4, which I believe is a UK manufactured high end calibrated temp probe. Cooking meats and fish to that perfect temp has been a game changer.

I can take it or leave it with shellfish, they always look good but are reliant on seasoning etc. Prawns always look good but are fiddly unless you like eating the heads. 
What is the difference better shrimps and prawns? 

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

I can take it or leave it with shellfish, they always look good but are reliant on seasoning etc. Prawns always look good but are fiddly unless you like eating the heads. 
What is the difference better shrimps and prawns? 

Size?

25 minutes ago, JDP said:

I recently made a big jump forward in all our cooking of meats and fish by investing in a Thermapen mk4, which I believe is a UK manufactured high end calibrated temp probe. Cooking meats and fish to that perfect temp has been a game changer.

Yes, I have a similar digital temp probe. Does degrees F and C with pinpoint accuracy and allow me to take the guesswork out of medium/medium rare meats on the BBQ, oven or skillet.

Jesus you are posh!

What? You never used a skillet to sear your steak? Gives those seared lines on the meat and keeps the meat out of the fats that drip off. Plus you can then use the fats with a splash of red wine to make a jus to drizzle over the meat once it's rested.

14 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

What? You never used a skillet to sear your steak? Gives those seared lines on the meat and keeps the meat out of the fats that drip off. Plus you can then use the fats with a splash of red wine to make a jus to drizzle over the meat once it's rested.

Never used or seen one. And adding wine (or any sauce) to a steak is a crime punishable by death in my house! Steak has enough great natural flavour without the need for masking. 
Next you're (spelt correctly) going to tell me you like steak cooked and not raw? 

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Next you're (spelt correctly) going to tell me you like steak cooked and not raw? 

Like I said above, medium or medium rare for me thanks.

#shouldhavegonetospecsavers

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Never used or seen one. And adding wine (or any sauce) to a steak is a crime punishable by death in my house! Steak has enough great natural flavour without the need for masking. 

A good jus should complement and enhance the natural flavours, not mask it. If you've had sauces that mask the flavour then it's either because the chef didn't know what he was doing, or the cut of meat was below par and he needed to hide the fact by using an overpowering sauce.

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Like I said above, medium or medium rare for me thanks.

#shouldhavegonetospecsavers

A good jus should complement and enhance the natural flavours, not mask it. If you've had sauces that mask the flavour then it's either because the chef didn't know what he was doing, or the cut of meat was below par and he needed to hide the fact by using an overpowering sauce.

You see, you have no concept of a decent steak. You over cook it AND add a jus to enhance flavour. 
A proper cut of steak that's cooked well (Blu/rare) needs nothing else to be perfect! 😝

You see, you have no concept of a decent steak. You over cook it AND add a jus to enhance flavour. 
A proper cut of steak that's cooked well (Blu/rare) needs nothing else to be perfect! 😝

A lazy mans excuse for "cooking"! No caramelisation of the sugars in the meat, no tenderisation of the meat fibres, pah!