Cod baits

What are the Outlaws using for cod then?

My usual offering is squid and lug, but what else is effective? I've heard of cart bait - mashed up crab in a bag? I've even heard of using marshmallows for them - a fisherman's tale?

1 minute ago, British Big Game Fishing said:

Massive squid baits or whole cuttle!

well thats what ive been told, not caught one on bait from my own tub yet. LOL

I know one angler who uses whole cuttle... but they can be massive so I'm wondering how you'd hook it up?? You'd need about a six hook pennel!

We used to use 5 or 6 calamari squid on 7 or 8/0 pennel rigs.  The theory being that with 3 of 4 anglers on a (private) boat a great scent trail would be sent down and the amount of food would at least keep some bait on your hook whilst the dogs stripped the baits off and give the cod a chance to find your baits. Also we would remove all the coloured skin/film that covers them to show the white flesh, not sure if that worked but we did use to catch cod.  I also use cuttle and would use them whole after removing the bone and present them on a pennel rig using 5 or 6/0 viking uptide hooks. 

Small cod use worm baits with squid. 

However, on a number of occasions I have caught more cod than other boats and most on the boat using a bit of bluey as well. This works especially well when the sprats are in the channel. The 4 doubles I caught last year were all on worm/Squid/bluey.

for the big girls, nothing beats a live whiting. Fish it on a sleeper rod downtiding, especially over slack water

B5FD9015-9F39-4F72-8E74-693941A089C7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

going to be moving my boat to the Mersey next few weeks .i will be tageting cod. Of the charter boat they use lug squid. Pick a few whiting up over skack and try them live. Was reading an article were they had cod in a tank and for some strange reason they seem to be attracted to conger eal skin.

Always used fresh blow lug and did well, but that was when Cod were plentyful though

In our part of the BC it's all down to scent (it's like fishing in a bowl of soup) and I used to think worm always outfished squid, but I'm not so sure now

If we get a decent run this season, I'll try a day just on squid, while someone else just uses worm and see what happens

For the inshore Codling of which there are not many and not worth targetting (it's always been like that) then Mack strip and squid seem to work ................ nearly all of our cod come from the wrecks, and there we just let the Red Gills and slow jigs do their stuff ...............

35 minutes ago, JonC said:

The biggest cod I’ve ever seen in person caught was about 15lb, this was on a hardback crab that came in the cast before. 

You won't get fresher bait than that Jon 👍

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JonC said:

Why do some pictures rotate 90? 
I post all mine the same way yet every 4/5th one rotates itself 

It’s all to do with the picture size and quality. If you crop every photo by just a millimetre before you post it, it will stay straight. 

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

It’s all to do with the picture size and quality. If you crop every photo by just a millimetre before you post it, it will stay straight. 

But I do the same thing ever time, I select size (large) then post it . Some spin some don’t. 

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

But I do the same thing ever time, I select size (large) then post it . Some spin some don’t. 

Then don’t choose large you fool. Don’t forget this is coming out of your wallet (and mine and andy’s).

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Then don’t choose large you fool. Don’t forget this is coming out of your wallet (and mine and andy’s).

I always choose large though and it’s randomly spins