new engin

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Depends on what it is pushing, we needed two RR Olympus marine gas turbines to get 30ish kn.

I've got a damaged stator blade from an etendarde if your short 🤣

Well that sounds like a good story. Come on Malc, do tell! 👍

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

All you need it some paraffin to run it and a bottle of propane to get it started ................👍

wosh it would go, i was thinking of Andy  after the moving house he might knead a thrill or 2

4 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

wow 7 comments and not one mention of "Mike could use that" or "put it in pugwash".......

🤣

@captin slows old outlaw I would bloody well keep it and put it in the bedford for that Pete!!!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

11 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Well that sounds like a good story. Come on Malc, do tell! 👍

Fishing related too.

Late 82 and we (HMS Glasgow) had been patched up and returned to patrol the Falklands. Long story short we were given permission to go fishing on the Warrah River, or possibly a tributary on West Falkland 🇫🇰. On return in the chopper we were to stop off at an unknown aircraft crash site the crew spotted inbound. It was an Argentinian etendarde (sp?) and as the officers took the details etc we robbed it for what is commonly known as "gizzits". Mine was the stator blade and we got a big bit of fuselage to put up in the mess. There are other stories too, feeding a pig bacardi, stealing a land rover and rolling it in a minefield and lots more. 

The stator blade...

20220318_090731.thumb.jpg.3bc85ec29a75fc224e7c3bf260fb0b01.jpg

For those with a military or historical interest here's part of the 1000lb bomb that didn't explode but did a fair bit of damage to the ship. 

20220318_090827.thumb.jpg.20063395c11dd37253866aea72f09eae.jpg

r f a oleander crew bar was known as the troufee  room. when the admiral came around with our captain he was upset to fined members of the crew selerbraiting there late is acquisition

a white ring with the words admiral and Portsmouth on it

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Quality @Malc! Thanks for sharing. 👍

So, about that pig...?? 

Can't find the pig incident photo ATM, but during our time off we had a wee wander about and among the landies, merc 4wds, tanks and helicopters there were thousands of these. 

FB_IMG_1647643143136.jpg.b7ffaf59c4dabf8870253d96a550e273.jpg

The hand grenades were wrapped in tape and in this case had the pins in them. However after a few scoops a couple of numpties decided to return to the ship with a couple in their pockets to make safe and take home!!!

FB_IMG_1647643723508.jpg.454598950be339812a02a54dae2a87b1.jpg

FB_IMG_1647643732935.jpg.7264d3b5e4c7391acc51cf22181a32d0.jpg

Nice little motor mate, very little mileage, starts every time. 

Edited by Malc

i remember as a child standing on Headon warren above the needles and waving the warships off with a huge white ensign - my mum was dating a matlow and he was on HMS glamorgan i think. 

the return was also quite a sight to remember!

I also remember seeing a warship in drydock being repaired after damage to the bow - i remember the red oxide primer nose...... cant remember the ship though