LED deck lights / work lights

Can anyone recommend a properly shielded LED deck light? There are plenty online but relatively few state that they are correctly shielded to eliminate VHF interference.

This one seems to be the front-runner in my search so far. Anyone used one before, or have other suggestions?

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Uniteck/UNILEDBAR-12-24V-LED-Spotlight/245U

8 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Can anyone recommend a properly shielded LED deck light? There are plenty online but relatively few state that they are correctly shielded to eliminate VHF interference.

This one seems to be the front-runner in my search so far. Anyone used one before, or have other suggestions?

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Uniteck/UNILEDBAR-12-24V-LED-Spotlight/245U

You don’t need to pay silly prices like force4 mate. Go on eBay and get one for a third of the price. They may not be white (there may be one Ive not looked) but they are good, cheap and work well. I fitted on the my old raider that @PompeyDave now owns. Maybe it’s still there and working ??

47 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

You don’t need to pay silly prices like force4 mate. Go on eBay and get one for a third of the price. They may not be white (there may be one Ive not looked) but they are good, cheap and work well. I fitted on the my old raider that @PompeyDave now owns. Maybe it’s still there and working ??

Yeah, but are they shielded? My light will be fixed within about 6 inches of the VHF aerial cable and I don't want the LED's to interfere with VHF transmission or reception.

Shielded lights are why they cost a bit more.

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, but are they shielded? My light will be fixed within about 6 inches of the VHF aerial cable and I don't want the LED's to interfere with VHF transmission or reception.

Shielded lights are why they cost a bit more.

🤷🏻‍♂️ Take a look and ask the question! 

AAAWeb will have proper stuff. 

They are used on work boats, similar price to force4.

Ive got flood lights for my deck, in winter Injsed to fish exclusively at night from September to March as I’d know I’d get the good marks and not need to share the cod shoals. When doing this I’d only use a head torch. 

Be careful installing a light house on the back of you’re fishing close to port or inshore. You’ll blank out out navigation lights for other users 

13 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

AAAWeb will have proper stuff. 

They are used on work boats, similar price to force4.

Ive got flood lights for my deck, in winter Injsed to fish exclusively at night from September to March as I’d know I’d get the good marks and not need to share the cod shoals. When doing this I’d only use a head torch. 

Be careful installing a light house on the back of you’re fishing close to port or inshore. You’ll blank out out navigation lights for other users 

Have you fitted those high quality aviation grade deck lights yet? Do they interfere with your instruments? 

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

Have you fitted those high quality aviation grade deck lights yet? Do they interfere with your instruments? 

Not yet as not been to the boat.

Biggest issue with lower cost LED lights is the sealing. They are perhaps not as robust.... but for the amor use you’ll get they’ll be fine. 

Electrical interference will not be from radiated emissions but more likely conducted down the 12V rail. It’s highly unlikely to cause an issue unless you got a set of £1.99 lights or something....

• 2 weeks later...

Why are all these LED lights bright, glaring, white?  With head torches, house lights and boat lights, the brilliant white, can't look into it, light seems to be the new norm.  I find this colour of light causes excessive glare and reduced depth of field. I've even taken to using blue coated, anti glare, specs.  Surely with modern technology they can produce natural light (as in bulbs) with the same intensity, but not the glare?

1 minute ago, SiDfish said:

Why are all these LED lights bright, glaring, white?  With head torches, house lights and boat lights, the brilliant white, can't look into it, light seems to be the new norm.  I find this colour of light causes excessive glare and reduced depth of field. I've even taken to using blue coated, anti glare, specs.  Surely with modern technology they can produce natural light (as in bulbs) with the same intensity, but not the glare?

Yes they are called warm white. Also available in LED. 

Just now, SiDfish said:

It's to do with their colour temperature. Most LED's are what's called "Cool white". They have a bluish tint to them. Personally I agree - the light is a bit too stark for me. I'd have preferred a warm white colour temp but couldn't find a deck light anywhere in anything other than cool white. I guess this must be the cheapest type of LED to make.

More details on colour temperatures here in case your interested: https://ledmonkey.com/blog/2018/02/01/led-monkeys-guide-to-led-colour-temperatures/#:~:text=The Various Applications for the Colour Temperatures&text=Warm White LED light bulbs,a Kelvin Rating of 6000K.

3 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

You just need to put your sunglasses on and you’ll be alright 

A lot of cars today totally blind you coming the other way, even on dip, because the non-directional glare is just so bright.  A boat with a white decklight turns the whole area around into a no-see area for other vessels trying to navigate.  Modern head lights just kill the vision of others around.  These things really are dangerous.  You don't need to see the whole panorama in brilliant white light for 400m, and sod everyone else!

18 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

A lot of cars today totally blind you coming the other way, even on dip, because the non-directional glare is just so bright.  A boat with a white decklight turns the whole area around into a no-see area for other vessels trying to navigate.  Modern head lights just kill the vision of others around.  These things really are dangerous.  You don't need to see the whole panorama in brilliant white light for 400m, and sod everyone else!

You want to see Aldbourgh wall when someone says cod, people fishing with generators and tripod mounted site lights. Awful 

24 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Very true.... Things have got so bad I've had to clean my windscreen!! 🤣

2 hours ago, SiDfish said:

Not riding at the mo., So what are these car lights like through a visor?

No idea, only just finished the bikem and weather turned crap, and no desire to find out til warmer weather gets here, don't think a ZX12 is the right bike for winter riding 😉