Slow jigging

jonnyswamp

3 hours ago, Ivan Tuna said:

I reckon a rub of “Smelly Jelly (pink)” on a savage gear sand eel and the doggies will be fighting over it. 

Nah, just bait the lure hook with a lump of mack, that is no different to trout fly fishing and using ‘worm assist’ on the fly hook 🤣

37 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How’s it going with Stan?? 

S L O W

ive asked for my deposit back.... 

Got a different guy building me some instead. Great guy, happy to try new designs etc, very communicative, I’ve had updates on what thread, colour guides, dates on blanks etc 🙂 

38 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

S L O W

ive asked for my deposit back.... 

Got a different guy building me some instead. Great guy, happy to try new designs etc, very communicative, I’ve had updates on what thread, colour guides, dates on blanks etc 🙂 

Good stuff Luke. Is that the guy in Spain?

31 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Good stuff Luke. Is that the guy in Spain?

Yeah, Jon Malvern. 

Hes very excited as I’ve said I want a rod, maybe blue whipping to match boat. He’s seen a picture of boat and now has carte Blanche to do what he wants.... I’ve seen pictures of his previous builds for marlin/tuna/sharks and are stunning so I will wait and see what it turns out like 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yeah, Jon Malvern. 

Hes very excited as I’ve said I want a rod, maybe blue whipping to match boat. He’s seen a picture of boat and now has carte Blanche to do what he wants.... I’ve seen pictures of his previous builds for marlin/tuna/sharks and are stunning so I will wait and see what it turns out like 🙂 

Sounds very exciting👍🏻

16 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

@Ivan Tuna..........Time for a big shout out for Terry at Jigabite ............. I ordered a reel yesterday afternoon, and it arrived first thing this morning.

You can't get better than that 👍👍

You can thank him yourself Ian...

@Terry Smith 👍

Here's a question then... for changing jigs the usual approach is to wind it off the split ring, which for me takes longer than it takes me to tie the leader knot. So I might as well just leave the jig and hook assembly rigged and re-tie a whole new set onto the leader.

Or... is there any reason why we couldn't use something like the Breakaway link clip instead of the split ring. Example here: https://www.lymebaytackle.co.uk/shop/rig-components/crimps-clips/breakaway-mini-links/?v=79cba1185463

The solid ring that takes the assists could go on first, followed by the jig loop, and the leader could be tied onto the top of the link in its usual place. The clip end of the link is acting just like the split ring, but would be so much quicker to change jigs (and assists if necessary).

Is there a reason why don't we do this already?

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Here's a question then... for changing jigs the usual approach is to wind it off the split ring, which for me takes longer than it takes me to tie the leader knot. So I might as well just leave the jig and hook assembly rigged and re-tie a whole new set onto the leader.

Or... is there any reason why we couldn't use something like the Breakaway link clip instead of the split ring. Example here: https://www.lymebaytackle.co.uk/shop/rig-components/crimps-clips/breakaway-mini-links/?v=79cba1185463

The solid ring that takes the assists could go on first, followed by the jig loop, and the leader could be tied onto the top of the link in its usual place. The clip end of the link is acting just like the split ring, but would be so much quicker to change jigs (and assists if necessary).

Is there a reason why don't we do this already?

Use a breakaway mini clip or a lure clip. The mini clip is rated at about 25lb , the quick change lure clips are rated on size from about 28lb to 75ish lb.

A lure clip does not effect the action.

11 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Use a breakaway mini clip or a lure clip. The mini clip is rated at about 25lb , the quick change lure clips are rated on size from about 28lb to 75ish lb.

That's what I'm thinking Ian. Assuming the clip doesn't affect the flutter of the jig I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work. The BS of the clips are more than my leaders anyway, so as you suggest, even the mini-link clip would be fine.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Slow Jigs are specifically designed to act in a certain way when in freefall so they work best with minimal end tackle restricting movement, hence a small split ring.

If you start introducing links, swivels and the kitchen sink you effect the jigs falling action so not maximising its effectiveness. 

Also have fun untangling the assist hooks every time the snag on a link, its surprising how often it will happen.

You will spend less time on a split ring than you will untangling assist hooks.

Goes without saying ,a decent pair of Split Ring pliers are a must have accessory.

2 minutes ago, Terry Smith said:

Slow Jigs are specifically designed to act in a certain way when in freefall so they work best with minimal end tackle restricting movement, hence a small split ring.

If you start introducing links, swivels and the kitchen sink you effect the jigs falling action so not maximising its effectiveness. 

Also have fun untangling the assist hooks every time the snag on a link, its surprising how often it will happen.

You will spend less time on a split ring than you will untangling assist hooks.

Goes without saying ,a decent pair of Split Ring pliers are a must have accessory.

I not noticed much difference in the action, however more often than not, I tie direct to the jig. On the wrecks I tend fish close to the wreck and my jig usually ends up decorating the wreck long before I consider changing it 🙄🤣