Slow jigging

jonnyswamp

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 1:41 AM, JDP said:

More in regards to the fall and the lures themselves, don't think that paying more equals better fish catching jigs. Also experiment with altering the fall action by moving the hooks or adding bling to the hooks, most are sold with the hooks at the top of the jig. Both of these lures are readily available under $5 and work better in my opinion than lures 4x the price. 

Wth the silver jig you can clearly see the bottom of the jig is the heavy end yet the lures are sold with the hooks at the top. By simply putting the hooks at the bottom, the fall and action has totally changed and this is now one of my most productive lures even on species I had never caught on lures or bait ever before. 

Where the golden one is better balanced to flutter, adding an extra set of hooks slowed down the fall making this another 25g jig that rarely reaches bottom before something takes it.

In contrast both of these as well as many others I have changed have now become deadly on smaller species and I have to do far less rod action to catch fish with them where if I don't get a hit first drop its probably not worth fishing that spot.

IMG_4243.thumb.jpg.26d4338ef5dda484a1ccc31c9b605e77.jpg

Id love to see you fishing them on a wreck in the uk. Are they actually slow pitch jigs? With all the muppets and feathers on i think they just wouldn’t work correctly. My gosh and theres me playing with the thinest line i can get away with !

2 hours ago, fishybuisness said:

Id love to see you fishing them on a wreck in the uk. Are they actually slow pitch jigs? With all the muppets and feathers on i think they just wouldn’t work correctly. My gosh and theres me playing with the thinest line i can get away with !

Im using those small ones on snapper, for UK wrecks I would be most likely using something more like the 100-200g black magic flipper jigs, these have been working deadly for the past two seasons on kingfish for me. They work well on tuna, in saying that tuna are far from busy fish.

• 2 months later...

Was supposed to be out with Silver Halo slow jigging for Bass on the sub 20 mile wrecks today, understandably cancelled yesterday, but said Tuesday could be doable

Tuesday's forecast is now worse than today 

Looks like I'm not destined to do any spj ing this year

On a plus note, I have a large U/floor heating job to get ready for Wed afternoon and I would've struggled had I gone fishing tomorrow

Would've still gone fishing mind 😇

34 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Was supposed to be out with Silver Halo slow jigging for Bass on the sub 20 mile wrecks today, understandably cancelled yesterday, but said Tuesday could be doable

Tuesday's forecast is now worse than today 

Looks like I'm not destined to do any spj ing this year

On a plus note, I have a large U/floor heating job to get ready for Wed afternoon and I would've struggled had I gone fishing tomorrow

Would've still gone fishing mind 😇

I will be SPJ on my winter trips out to the wrecks. Normally I get a couple of doable days a month.

Still grounded at the moment until the middle of next week, but then it will be weather watching again 👍

Edited by GPSguru

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 10:31 AM, GPSguru said:

This is interesting, I found these instructional / product testing vids on the Temple Reef website.

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on left and right handled reels. I commented on being right handed and for that reason use jigging multipliers with the handle on the left the same as I do with spin reels, both handles on the left side of the reel and the rod in my right arm (being right handed).

As you can in the second video this is exactly why right handed anglers wanting to work lures to create good action should buy left handed reels for jigging work and left handed anglers should by right handed lures. When I use multi's for general bait fishing I can take them either way as there really isn't much skill involved compared to working the vast styles of lures and plastics available.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Ive been looking at this new fangled SPJ mullarky and looks like a lot of fun…. 

Im looking for a cheap setup that I can have a play with on the reefs in west wales. I’ve got a spinning rod and fixed spool reel, is that ok to get me started? Or do I need to pay lots of money? I’m basically looking for a light setup to play with while (hopefully) the paying customers fill the cool box with fish… 

I’ll still be using feathers/shads when after bait but having a bit of fun on the pollack on a reef trip sounds like fun…

Not long before can get started, pollack are already in on the reefs so roll on nice weather 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Hi all,

Im looking for a cheap setup that I can have a play with on the reefs in west wales. I’ve got a spinning rod and fixed spool reel, is that ok to get me started? Or do I need to pay lots of money? I’m basically looking for a light setup to play with while (hopefully) the paying customers fill the cool box with fish… 

I’ll still be using feathers/shads when after bait but having a bit of fun on the pollack on a reef trip sounds like fun…

Not long before can get started, pollack are already in on the reefs so roll on nice weather 🙂 

You know full well that they are all going to try to get you spending thousands of pounds on the gear. 

9 minutes ago, JonC said:

You know full well that they are all going to try to get you spending thousands of pounds on the gear. 

Yeah, especially @Andy135 he’s loaded as he doesn’t have a boat to steal all his money 🤣

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Hi all,

I wanted to give it a whirl and had a 12-20 trigger rod and baitcaster. It worked OK but I didn't like the amount of foul hooked fish I got so I don't use them anymore. 

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I wanted to give it a whirl and had a 12-20 trigger rod and baitcaster. It worked OK but I didn't like the amount of foul hooked fish I got so I don't use them anymore. 

For me it is probably 1 in 10, and usually the smaller fish, especially Pollock under 3lb and pout.

Even the foul hooked fish are very often hooked in the head or under the chin.

Never had a foul hooked bass, they nearly swallow the lure.